INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sleeping IMac  (Read 1518 times)

liffy99

• Recent member
Sleeping IMac
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:40:48 am »

Hi
I've downloaded the trial version of JRiver to my IMac and all seems OK so far.
I am hesitant to store my music files on the Mac (and thereby use it as a server) due to its power consumption if left permanently on - so that I can control and play music via my IPad / JRemote whenever I like.
As I can set the IMac to 'sleep' mode after a few minutes of inactivity, would using the JRemote app wake it up (as other applications running on the Mac in the background may do).
If so it means the IMac could stay in sleep mode unless called upon - making the power consumption much more acceptable.

At the moment my music library is stored on a separate server (a Vortexbox) but I want to lose this and just have one 'do it all' computer to reduce the rats nest of wires etc that proliferate with IT stuff.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sleeping IMac
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »

If I recall correctly, an imac consumes about 45 Watts at idle.  There's no need to put it to sleep in my opinion.  Does yours consume markedly more power than that?

Sleeping machines and turning them off causes no end to trouble and extra configuration.  If you want the most reliable solution with the least amount of messing around and experimentation, just leaving it on is the safest bet.

Good luck.

Brian.

liffy99

• Recent member
Re: Sleeping IMac
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 04:33:51 am »

They vary a lot.
My old 27" non-retina uses 135W at idle
Latest I5 27" retina models can get down to the 30s . . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up