INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tag dump not working  (Read 2509 times)

wks

• Recent member
tag dump not working
« on: June 18, 2017, 07:59:42 am »

I cannot get mp4 tags show up in MC, which do show up in Subler, IDentify etc. on a Mac and in MetaX on Windows. Tag dump is not working - clicking 'MP4' in the Tag-Editor window gives a result 'n/v' (MC 22.0.108 Windows).

Can someone help please?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: tag dump not working
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:42:13 am »

Are you talking about MP4 video files?  MC generally stores all video tags in both it's internal database and in XML sidecar files.

Brian.

wks

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:15:04 pm »

Yes Brian, these are video mp4 files originally created with eyeTV. That tags (e.g. name, description, comment) show up, other tags, which I afterwards embedded with other applications do not show up in the tab window.

Wolfgang

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:27:47 pm »

Yeah, as far as I know, MC has very little support for tags in videos.  Someone else will know more, but I don't think you can access those other tags from MC.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 04:37:45 pm »

I don't know why you think that.  JRiver reads and writes video tags whenever there are standards.  I'm not aware of any formats that can be done that we haven't done.

wks

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:48:28 am »

But what could be the reason, that these tags do not show up?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:14:05 am »

I don't know why you think that.  JRiver reads and writes video tags whenever there are standards.  I'm not aware of any formats that can be done that we haven't done.

I'm with Brian on this one. I've never seen anything other than "n/a" in the tag dump area for any movie that I can recall. I just checked a bunch of MP4s; Nothing. I added tags using Windows Explorer Details, "touched" the file and imported; The Comment showed up as the description in MC, but nothing in the Tag Dump area. I tried both Tag windows, and even added the "Tag Dump" Group and "Tag Dump" item in the new tag window customisation. Nothing shows.

I even installed MetaX, updated the tags for an MP4 movie, and reimported the file into MC. Nothing.

So, some tags in files may be read into the MC Library (i.e. Comments into Description), but nothing shows up in the Tag Dump area, so a user can't see what is in the file, vs what in in the Library.

I'm sure there was a thread about this not so long back. I couldn't find it in a quick search though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wks

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:13:32 am »

@RoderickGI
Thank you very much for your effort and for clearifying this matter!

It might be a good idea to add this information to the wiki.
May be the tag reading and writing behaviour of MC can be improved in the future.
Nevertheless I am very much impressed by the lots of features MC offers.
I think it is by far the best media center application.

Thanks to all who replied to my post!

Wolfgang
Pages: [1]   Go Up