INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pi Id adding 3rd party modules  (Read 4781 times)

ptrenner

• Recent member
Pi Id adding 3rd party modules
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:09:34 am »

Hello, I am very new to Raspberry. I got your SD card and everything is fine and up and running. I can manage via Browser/JRemote or connect with my RDP client on my Windows notebook. I also tried to connect via SSH but did not succeed as I always got the message my password is wrong. I want to add an USV board to run it battery driven or for getting no problems when i have outages on the power grid. Therefore i have to add some configuration to the pi. How can I manage this?

If I connect via RDP client the resolution of the virtual screen is very low (I guess something about 420x680 pixel) and the GUI isn't almost usable anymore. If I connect a monitor before booting, I don't have this problems. Is there a way to configure the screen resolution?

regards

Peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pi Id adding 3rd party modules
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:20:50 am »

The default password is remote.

ptrenner

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:30:34 am »

Hello, Yes I know. but for any reason it does not work if I try to connect via Putty SSH. I can connect via RDP Client (windows)

ptrenner

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »

Hi Jim,

I still cannot connect with putty using user name pi or root and neither remote as standard password or my new one I set after setting up the system. I still can connect with my RDP Client. See the pics attached.

what am I doing wrong?

Peter

BradATIMA

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 11:18:01 am »

The remote password will only work with an RDP client. We actually don't allow users to SSH into the Id.

ptrenner

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:25:30 am »

Pitty. How should I add an USP for example where I have to install some software too? What's the reason behind this decision?

Kind regards

Peter

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 03:12:19 pm »

The reason we do this for the Id is that we do a lot of work on the firmware so it's ready for users to plug in and use. We don't want users making any changes that could potentially break the Id firmware beyond repair. If you're looking for Pi that you can customize, on the Linux board you can find an ARM version of Media Center. This is just Media Center and not the Id firmware, so you'll need an SD card with an OS, but you'll be able to customize it. Also, the Id Pi license won't work, so you'll either need an MC Linux license or an MC master license.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 05:18:00 pm »

I would like JRiver to add support to at least one Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). I have a MoPi that I am currently not using as it's not supported. I would be happy to buy something similar if it worked with Id Pi on mSD Card. My use is mostly for off grid living, but UPS is mandatory for use in vehicles. Please consider.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 06:25:32 pm »

What does it mean to support a UPS?

Do you have a link to a product you like?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 07:12:44 pm »

What does it mean to support a UPS?

Do you have a link to a product you like?

Most UPS's have a way to communicate with the machine they're plugged into to let the machine know when the power has failed.  You can then run scripts to safely shutdown the computer, etc.  For example, cyberpower (who makes UPS's for fullsize computers, not for pi's) has a little linux utility that will tell you the current state of the battery and run scripts when the power goes out or if the battery starts to run low.   

Most of the various Pi UPS's have similar features that allow you to tell the pi to shutdown when the mains power is cut, etc.  It's especially useful in a car setting because as soon as the pi knows its running on its own battery it can automatically turn off.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:39:02 pm »

UPS = Uninterruptible Power Supply

I own:
MoPi: Mobile Pi Power (Low Profile Version)
and
MoPi: Mobile Pi Power (Stackable Version)
https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html

Quote from ptrenner
I want to add an USV board to run it battery driven or for getting no problems when i have outages on the power grid
I believe a USV board is German for a powerbank. Hopefully ptrenner will give an example of what he had in mind.

With the MoPi, users should be able to switch between multiple power sources without shutting down, or set it up to automatically/safely shut down when one of the sources runs low.

ptrenner

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 10:04:03 am »

Hello,

yes that was what I had in mind. Beside that I found out the Id sounds fantastic with power from a power bank only. So maybe to use an UPS would be a good option not only for safety reasons but soundwise too. I also would like to add something like spotify connect to my PI.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 01:31:10 pm »

I own:
MoPi: Mobile Pi Power (Low Profile Version)
and
MoPi: Mobile Pi Power (Stackable Version)

Looks like MoPi ended support for Pi3, but there is a new version hopefully out in a few months.
https://pi.gate.ac.uk/posts/2016/12/19/good-news-and-bad/

I apologize for the bad recommendation.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 04:06:54 am »

Did anything ever come of the discussion on being able to add an Uninterruptible Power Supply to the IdPi to allow for safe shutdown in case of power outage?

I have looked at a few options since setting up the Pi but hadn't factored in the issue of not being able to install the power supply's software.

This thread is from a while back but I haven't found anything else relevant since (may have missed it!).

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up