INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Drag & drop multiple files to move files  (Read 2341 times)

somebike

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Request - Drag & drop multiple files to move files
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:59 am »

From Wiki:

Drag and Drop

You can use MC's My Computer (found in the tree under Drives and Devices) to drag whole folders to a new location. MC will update its library to reflect the changes.

I have found this feature useful, but it would be tremendously more useful if I could outline multiple files as you can in windows explorer and move multiple files.

Thanks for your consideration.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request - Drag & drop multiple files to move files
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:11:13 am »

Feel free to ignore me on this but...

This sounds like a tool that would be pretty easy to make mistakes with.  Drag and Drop is rather inaccurate compared to other methods.  I know I've made many mistakes with drag and drop over the years.

I wouldn't bother with this at all since the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool allows you to move anything you want in a more structured way.  Just highlight the files you want to move, then fill out the RM&C form, see the preview of what it's going to do, and if it looks right, press OK for MC to move the files.

I've used RM&C a lot and it's a very solid, very useful tool.

Brian.

somebike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 11:46:19 am »

I will try it and let you know.  This is the first time I started with reorganizing my library and used the drag and drop to test and it was effective, but immediately i wanted the ability to do multiple files.

somebike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:18:21 pm »

Feel free to ignore me on this but...

This sounds like a tool that would be pretty easy to make mistakes with.  Drag and Drop is rather inaccurate compared to other methods.  I know I've made many mistakes with drag and drop over the years.

I wouldn't bother with this at all since the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool allows you to move anything you want in a more structured way.  Just highlight the files you want to move, then fill out the RM&C form, see the preview of what it's going to do, and if it looks right, press OK for MC to move the files.

I've used RM&C a lot and it's a very solid, very useful tool.

Brian.

For what I want to do, this does not seem to be effective.  I want it to move the files in explorer and rename the path at the same time.  I reiterate my original request.  It would make this job much less time consuming.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:30:28 pm »

I don't think you understand the tool.  Which is fine.  I can assure you that RM&C can do anything that drag and drop can do.  If you want drag and drop, perhaps the developers think this is a good feature. 

Or maybe one of us can walk you through RM&C to achieve the results you are after.

Good luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:14:46 pm »

Brian is correct.

The tool is easy to try.  Just select a few files, then right click and choose Rename, Move, and Copy.  Check the directory box and fill in the base path (at least).

Try a few before you do very many.

The wiki has a topic.

somebike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 07:49:04 am »

Brian is correct.

The tool is easy to try.  Just select a few files, then right click and choose Rename, Move, and Copy.  Check the directory box and fill in the base path (at least).

Try a few before you do very many.

The wiki has a topic.

I did try.  I want to move folders and I could only seem to select files within a folder.  When I drag and drop a single folder to a new location, the library is properly updated and the the file is moved in Windows Explorer.  I used the Wiki as my guide and I accept that I may not completely understand the tool despite the fact the Wiki was written in clear and I thought understandable language.

What I would like to do is have all of the folders for particular band that are named in this fashion Artist - Album name (Year) Format go into a single folder under Artist name.  I may want to go further and then put all artists starting with the letter A in a folder labeled A and so forth.

The reason I want to do this is because having so many single folders in one location seems to cause a lot of lag when tagging and doing library updates.  I have some folders like High Resolution files in folders with significantly less entries and these functions perform much faster.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Spike1000

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:03 am »

I may want to go further and then put all artists starting with the letter A in a folder labeled A and so forth.

My 2p on this is that this is an unnecessary 'layer' that's not needed. MC is database based so technically is doesn't matter where your files are located as they at picked by database 'views' based on tags (ie metadata) not folder location. Having "artist" folders with 'album' folders underneath is sufficient for us humans to logically store/find albums/tracks; an "alphabetical" layer on top of that isn't required.

I feel the 'laggyness' you're experiencing has causes not related to the folder structure. It would have to be a very extreme folder structure to cause significant file system delays.

You can move all the files you wish to move in Explorer and the run an update in MC to update the changed links. I don't think this is the recommended approach (that's RM & C) and you may need to change some settings in MC so it deals with 'broken links' the way you wish but it does work in my setup. Try a few files first to ensure it works for you.

Spike

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 01:17:29 pm »

What I would like to do is have all of the folders for particular band that are named in this fashion Artist - Album name (Year) Format go into a single folder under Artist name.  I may want to go further and then put all artists starting with the letter A in a folder labeled A and so forth.

I agree with Spike that having a lot of folders probably isn't a problem.  Though this thread says that NTFS starts to get unhappy with "several thousand" files or folders in a single folder:

https://serverfault.com/questions/98235/how-many-files-in-a-directory-is-too-many-downloading-data-from-net

In either case, you can definitely use RM&C to do what you want.  For the moment, don't think about the existing folder names that your files are using.  Instead, think about the folder structure that you want.  It sounds to me like you have folders like this:

C:\Music\Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)\

...and what you want instead is:

C:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon\

To do this in the RM&C tool, you would check the Directory box and then:
Base Path:  C:\Music\
Rule: [Artist]\[Album]

You probably want to check the "move all files in directory" box at the top so it gets everything, including extra files like log files, jpegs, etc.

You can make your rules more elaborate to include the Year in the directory name, etc.

Do some experiments with a few files at a time.  Use the PREVIEW box in RM&C to see what it's going to do before it does it.  This will really help you to not make mistakes.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up