INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update Tags from Library vs Update Lib from Tags  (Read 1745 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Update Tags from Library vs Update Lib from Tags
« on: July 03, 2003, 03:52:20 pm »

I'm confused about when you use Update Tags from Library vs using Update Library from Tags.  I read the information in the help file and searched the forum for more information on this, and while the explanations made sense, I still find myself unclear about the specific circumstances that call for one vs the other.

For example, another post on this forum talks about unchecking the "store images inside files" box and then running "Update Tags from Library."  My instinct, however, would be to do it the other way -- i.e. after unchecking the box, I would think that you'd need to update the library, not the tags, since the tags are supposedly automatically updated when you make a change.  Which way is correct after this particular change -- updating the library from the tags, or updating the tags from the library?

Is there any more detailed description of using the different "update" capabilities of MC9 -- especially in light of the example above?

Thanks for any details on this,

Larry

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Update Tags from Library vs Update Lib from Ta
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 05:19:15 pm »

For example, another post on this forum talks about unchecking the "store images inside files" box and then running "Update Tags from Library."

My understanding of the "store images inside files" setting is that it is a "go forward" setting. In other words, from the time you set it, all future tagging to files will attempt to place images inside the file.

In this case, as you probably have several hundred (thousand) files, you need to tell Media Center to actually apply this new setting "retroactively" to all existing files in your library. So, you need to update all the file tags to attempt to place your previously externally stored images inside the files.

I hope this makes sense ...

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 07:44:16 pm »

That makes sense in principle, but it doesn't match the results I'm seeing.

For example, I highlight a song that had "store images inside files" checked when I ripped it.  I then uncheck this box and hit "Update Tags from Library" and nothing happens -- the file size remains the same.  If I instead hit "Update Library from Tags" after unchecking the box, I can see the file size suddenely drop, indicating the new size of the file with the cover art removed.  I can then recheck the box and update the Tags, and once again nothing changes.  Updating the Library, on the other hand, updates the file size, indicating that the cover art is once again included in the file.

In other words, "Update Library from Tags" seems to be the correct action to use in this case, not "Update Tags from Library."

Can anybody give us the straight story on this -- i.e. a detailed description of the use of the two "Update" options?

Thanks,

Larry

nila

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 11:29:29 pm »

Are u seeing this size change within MC or outside of it using explorer?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 12:18:47 am »

Back in a Beta release from last January, when I moved all cover art from external to internal, the best way to do it was the following:

1. Store your cover art files in a safe place.
2. Select all files and use the MC9 function "Remove Cover-Art" without removing files from disk.
3. Set the option "Store Cover-Art inside file"
4. Get cover-art from disk, so that cover-art would be included in the music file.

Cover-Art Management has improved a lot since then and it might work differently now!

When  you change the value of a tag, MC9 updates the library and the file simultaneously, if you have set this option in "Options>General>Update Tags when file info changes", which is set by default.
But this happens only for fields that have the option "store tag in file when possible" set. You may add user defined fields that store information only in the database. So if you decide to change the field layout, you might need to use above option.

The option Update library from tags might be needed, if you change tags in a file with some other tool external to MC9.

For Cover-art I do not think you need any of this options. It will work automatically. Bear in mind, once you set "Store inside file", then the tag with the reference to the cover art file changes from "cover-art pathname" to "inside file". But at this point cover-art is not included inside the file yet. You have use the "Get cover Art from disk" function to store cover-art inside the file after setting "store inside file". It does not happen automatically for files that existed before the option was selected.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 03:59:38 am »

Are u seeing this size change within MC or outside of it using explorer?

From within MC -- I can literally see the file sizes change in the MC list when I do the "update," or when I hit "undo."

Jaguu -- It makes sense that the update function isn't "necessary," but the thing that's confusing me is that when I run the update, it DOES make changes.  According to the information popup, the changes are made to bitrate, size, and a couple other items.  In other words, changes are ALWAYS made to files regardless of whether I've done anything to them or not.  For example, I rip a bunch of albums one right after the other.  I then hit "Update Library from Tags when changes are detected" and I get a window that says changes are going to be made to hundereds of files.  Note that I'm not doing ANYTHING to the files in between -- not through an external program and not through MC.  I'm at a loss as to what "updates" are being made to the library at this point when I haven't done anything to the tags.

Thanks again for any clarification on this,

Larry

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 09:53:02 am »

Because ,you allways get this pop-up
Even if zero file updated.
It is when all the files scanned that you get another pop-up
'MC ..change to 3 files ......."

But ,at first MC will scan all the files

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 02:16:32 pm »

Because ,you allways get this pop-up
Even if zero file updated.
It is when all the files scanned that you get another pop-up
'MC ..change to 3 files ......."

But ,at first MC will scan all the files

The message I get DOES say that changes have been made to X number of files, and gives a small list of what fields were changed.  If I run it after ripping a bunch of CD's, it says changes were made to 300 files (for example) and tells me that it will be difficult to change them back -- it asks if I'm "sure" I want to do this.

Add to this the fact that I can actually SEE that changes are being made to the file size -- the change takes place right in front of me and I can flip it back and forth with the "undo/redo" buttons.

Larry

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 07:10:13 am »

>>> I'm confused about when you use Update Tags from Library vs using Update Library from Tags.  I read the information in the help file and searched the forum for more information on this, and while the explanations made sense, I still find myself unclear about the specific circumstances that call for one vs the other. <<<

Me too.

I find this to be very confusing  ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up