INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Conversion down-mix 5.1 to Stereo  (Read 3941 times)

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
Video Conversion down-mix 5.1 to Stereo
« on: July 16, 2017, 02:22:05 am »

When watching movies from MC via DLNA on my Roku 3, Movies with 5.1 audio are silent. I've used the command line utility ffmpeg to copy the movie and down-mix the audio channel in the process. These play with audio.

I've looked at Options > Media Network > Video Conversion and found was this thread:
NEW: Video to Audio Conversion
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109822.0.html

I know MC can transcode per zone but since I'm hitting MC from the Roku - I don't think that will work here.
Is there a way I can play movies from the Roku and down-mix to stereo on the fly?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video Conversion down-mix 5.1 to Stereo
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:36:42 am »

Take a look at the conversion options for the DLNA server you use.  The setting is a little buried.  It's in the Media Network area.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:34:21 am »

You will want to alter the profile for the DLNA server you are using.  Find the DLNA profile that you have associated with your Roku.  Then:

Tools > Options > Media Network > add or configure DLNA Servers ...
(Click on the correct profile) > Audio > Advanced > DSP Studio
Select output format, then configure channels to be 2, and downmix to be JRSS.

That should do it, plus or minus.

Brian.

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:07:28 pm »

Thank you Jim and Brian,

I Found the DLNA Settings - MC is my DLNA Renderer - thanks for the direction Brian;

Tools > Options > Media Network > ... add or configure DLNA Servers ...
(Seuss Media Center) > Audio > Advanced > ... DSP Studio...

Options selected:
Output Encoding: None.
Sample Rate: Left defaults.
Channels: 2 Channels (stereo)
Mixing: JRSS mixing (recommended)
  • Detect Stereo Sources in Surround (psuedo - surround)

Still no audio on 6 channel movies.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:32:44 pm »

Is Output Format checked on the left hand side of DSP Studio?

Is "Seuss Media Center" associated with your DLNA renderer? Right click on it and see what the association is set to.

I wish there was a way of seeing the Audio Path when using DLNA, but I don't think there is...

Brian.

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »

Thanks Brian.

Output Format is checked.

And previously I 'misspoke'. My Renderer is the Roku. The Server is MC on a PC (Seuss). The Roku Media Player finds MC as I have it set to serve DLNA.

Right clicking on the DLNA Server (Seuss Media Center) does not present a menu. Perhaps I'm in the wrong place?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 03:50:07 pm »

OK, so you're using MC's DLNA server in "pull mode".  You use the interface on the Roku to navigate to MC and select your videos right in the Roku.  As opposed to "push" where you'd use MC to select files and tell it to play them on the Roku.

We are now at a point where I don't know how conversion options work in Pull versus Push mode.  Someone who knows MC's DLNA service better will have to answer.

Brian.

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:07:54 pm »

OK, so you're using MC's DLNA server in "pull mode".  You use the interface on the Roku to navigate to MC and select your videos right in the Roku.  As opposed to "push" where you'd use MC to select files and tell it to play them on the Roku.

We are now at a point where I don't know how conversion options work in Pull versus Push mode.  Someone who knows MC's DLNA service better will have to answer.

Brian.
Bingo. Sorry it took so much dialog to communicate that. I'm still finding my DLNA an network legs when it comes to the variety of options available in MC.

Even so thanks a bunch for your efforts.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:08:50 pm »

We are now at a point where I don't know how conversion options work in Pull versus Push mode. 
I would be surprised if it made a difference. Shouldn't the server serve what it has been configured to serve? Hence I am commenting to find out if I should be surprised or not :)

@OP do you have any other renderer to test with? Just to see if you get sound, eg a phone.

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 01:25:20 pm »

...Shouldn't the server serve what it has been configured to serve?

My thoughts exactly. To the best of my knowledge I've set the server to down-mix 6ch audio to 2ch.

@OP do you have any other renderer to test with? Just to see if you get sound, eg a phone.

I can play the 6ch movie on my phone (with audio) but I suspect my phone can transcode what-ever it receives. And I really have no way of checking (that I know of) that the phone is in fact playing down-mixed 2ch audio.

The weak link in my set-up is undoubtedly the Roku. I've been searching other forums too - there's some discussion about the Roku just passing through the audio signal and in this case it might be the fault of the TV (VIZIO) though I find that unlikely.

This is one possible solution that I was hoping MC could provide. Sounds like I may just need to plan a head if the wife and I are going to watch a movie - that I've converted the audio if need be before hand.

Pages: [1]   Go Up