INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Car Radio allows you to set up buttons to play standard or Play Doctor playlists.  Which choice best describes your experience?

I use it from time to time
I tried it and didn't find it useful
I tried it and wasn't able to get it to work
I'm aware of it but haven't got around to trying it
I don't know how

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Do you use Car Radio?  (Read 3693 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
POLL: Do you use Car Radio?
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:50:34 pm »

I'm going to start several polls to see how people are using some of the more advanced playback options in MC.  Thanks for taking time to vote. 

Comments are also welcome.

Here's the Car Radio topic on our wiki.

Instructions (short form):  Play audio of any kind -- specific artist or a playlist.  Then find the car radio button row in Playing Now (numbered buttons at the middle right).  Press and hold one.  This saves the list.  Press the button to play the list.

blgentry

Re: Do you use Car Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:53:49 pm »

I use it all the time, but probably not in the way that it was designed.  I have one playlist that I play very often.  It's on car radio. 

I also use Car Radio to save my Playing Now when I'm going to listen to my one "all the time" playlist.  I call it "was playing".  "Was Playing" is my save area for on the fly mixes that I don't want to lose before I get to listen to the entire list.

I'll vote that I "use it sometimes", but for me it's almost every day.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: POLL: Do you use Car Radio?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:36:53 pm »

It seems like another option is needed. Something like this

I have not tried it since I am not interested in this type of functionality.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 06:47:53 pm »

I voted "I tried it and didn't find it useful" but it is probably as I don't use Playlists in general.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 07:06:58 pm »

I voted "I tried it and didn't find it useful" but it is probably as I don't use Playlists in general.
You're too old.  You play albums.  You're probably playing one now.

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:56:03 pm »

I use it to stream Online Radio Stations that I store in the Buttons,
Such as Radio Caroline, Radio Luxembourg etc.
Just like a Car Radio, funny that ?  :D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »

;D  Yup!  After a decade of MC use I have made only a half dozen playlists and would rarely use them.  Even for Various Artists I make up Albums in MC (eg 2017 Top 100 etc). 

While OT - it does raise the old "What do you use MC For" (feel free to move to a better thread).  Our MC usage reflects wanting to have high quality Video Library (which you can not really get with streaming at any price).  The Audio only usage in MC has faded as the Kids (well now young adults) have moved to online services played on their iPhones for personal consumption.  I still keep up a collection of Top100 style Music Video and Audio files for parties, background music as well as using Streaming Radio but in reality these could all be replaced with YouTube, Spotify, TuneIn etc.  I would occasional use the MC Audio library for active listening of an Audio Album but most usage is more for background music where "quality" is less critical by zone sync is.  Hence why I'm more after the improvements for MC to better support Whole House audio and to do it well. 
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:41:27 pm »

I play albums too, but I have a selection of smartlists in Car Radio which either play random albums, shuffle albums from my favorite artists, or play random albums from a selected genre.
Using it for static playlists doesn't really interest me.

Perhaps a feature where clicking an unused Car Radio button would prompt you to enter an artist or genre, and have it automatically generate a smartlist which does that might increase the feature's popularity.

Some way to quickly undo accidental clicks of the Car Radio buttons would be very useful too.
And an annoyance of mine has always been that the buttons are above the splitter instead of below it, so they remain visible when you hide the playlist. I would prefer not to see them at all in video zones.

While OT - it does raise the old "What do you use MC For" (feel free to move to a better thread).  Our MC usage reflects wanting to have high quality Video Library (which you can not really get with streaming at any price).
That's the thing which got me to use JRiver in the first place.
I was already happy with how I was handling my music library elsewhere.
I do now prefer JRiver for music playback too, but it has many limitations that prevent me from expanding my use of it (gave up on multi-room), and development for audio is not focusing on things that matter to me, so video is still the main appeal.
However it's starting to fall out of favor with the prevalence of 4K media, since 4K video crashes the player all the time for me, or if I'm watching a 1080p video and the audio analyzer runs at the same time.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 02:48:27 am »

"I use it all the time" isn't one of the poll options...?

Since the smartlist fix was applied it has become truly useful for me.  I use it to trigger all sorts of things that I regularly want to access.  An essential feature.

Spike1000

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:16:04 am »

It took me about 12 months to find the car radio function  :-\

I thought it was something to do with synchronising files into a format that would play on a car radio :) I may have understood it quicker in the word 'Preset' or 'Memory' had been in the name.

Spike

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:36 am »

It took me about 12 months to find the car radio function  :-\

I thought it was something to do with synchronising files into a format that would play on a car radio :) I may have understood it quicker in the word 'Preset' or 'Memory' had been in the name.

Spike

Agreed. When I first started finding my way around MC, I too didn't understand the (simple) functionality and the name was the problem. I get why the name was used but it is confusing.
Do I use it? Yes, occasionally but my main access is via Theatre View so it doesnt help there. Should it stay? Yes  :)

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 06:47:50 am »

It seems like another option is needed. Something like this

I have not tried it since I am not interested in this type of functionality.

Yes.

I'm old and listen to albums or individual works (not "songs").

The only use I have for playlists is "recently ripped" for tagging.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 09:33:25 am »

This describes me perfectly. I have never made a playlist and was listening to an album while reading it.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:59 am »

I use it every day.  Used to save my playing now lists, current, soundtracks, audio books.
Namaste - 'bows slightly with hands pressed together, palms touching'
Pages: [1]   Go Up