INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD256/512 not working  (Read 1175 times)

sbenyo

DSD256/512 not working
« on: July 18, 2017, 02:42:25 am »

I am trying to test JRiver with T+A DAC8 DSD. The DAC supports native DSD512 on Windows.

I am trying to upsample everything to DSD512 (x8). No matter what I try to do it does not work well and staggers. It also staggers at DSD256 (x4).  :(
Lower level work and PCM upsampling also work well (I tried DxD 352kHz).

I use a good i7 PC with files on SSD so I don 't think the computer power is the issue. I also tried to put all buffers to max and play from memory. Same results.
I use the AISO driver. Anything else I tried (WASAPI, kernel) gives a message that it cannot upsample.

Any idea what's wrong how I can make it work?

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
Re: DSD256/512 not working
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 02:07:53 pm »

I am not an upsampling believer, but I have played native DSD256 files in JR both as native DSD256 and as PCM176 via on the fly conversion, both without any issues at all, both in 5.1 by the way.  I have not tried DSD512, since my DAC does not support it and there are few such native files available.

I use an older I7 machine with 16GB RAM and USB to my Exasound DAC via its custom ASIO driver.  I don't think I ever needed to fiddle with buffering, etc.  It works great for me.

So, playing the files is probably not the issue.  Possibly, CPU resources for upsampling via JR are a problem, so you might first have to create the upsampled files in certain 3rd party tools designed for the purpose.  Check CPU, etc. resources in Windows task manager.

Pages: [1]   Go Up