INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old split screen discussion :)  (Read 1970 times)

nila

Old split screen discussion :)
« on: July 02, 2003, 06:33:09 am »

Ok,
time to bring back an old discussion.

The split screen one we were having for ages.
It kind of disappeared when the panes appeared.

Here's the thing - I'm trying to sort all my music right now.
I've put every single unrated song (10,000) into playing now and am listening to them and tagging them as I listen to them - how else am I going to tag a song properly if I'm not listening to it.

The thing is I want to tag a few with list fields and I CANT really do this properly as the panes aren't showing.

And NO, I'm not gonna use the properties pane and enter each value manually with a ; - it's just not a valid tagging method.

In order to tag a song properly u have to be listening to it to tag it fully.

It therefore makes sense to be able to have the panes in the playing now window as well.

Could we PLEASE have an option to have the panes for tagging in the top window of the playing now screen along with visualisations etc.

Not quite the old extent we wanted the split screen done to but at least a semi compromise.

PLEASE -> WE NEED IT!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Old split screen discussion :)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 07:02:51 am »

You can play any file by double-clicking it in Media Library.  (turn off jump to playing now)

Isn't that an easier solution?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 08:07:32 am »

For that particular problem, yes.

For trying to control the playback order of a playlist as you're creating it, no.

For that, split panes, or my (Apple's)  idea of "elastic nodes" would work.

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 12:37:10 pm »

Matt, I don't understand why you're so opposed to the idea of split panes (especially for PN view). This has been a discussion for many months now, and many fine MC users have requested this as an option. It's just getting a little frustrating to get respsonses of "...just try doing it this way..." rather than an acknowledgment of the specific idea. As Doof stated, there are other reasons for wanting this, we each have our own needs and this seems an essential function in MC's growth.

Sorry, just had to get that out...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 12:50:22 pm »

Matt, I don't understand why you're so opposed to the idea of split panes (especially for PN view).

I'm not, and I don't think I ever said I was.  I was only trying to help Nila with his problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 01:14:34 pm »

So is it a possibility for the future ;D  Just Kidding...:)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 02:15:22 pm »

I'm not, and I don't think I ever said I was.  I was only trying to help Nila with his problem.

Sorry, bad day, didn't mean to take it out on you... :-[

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 05:30:15 pm »

yes, Yes, YES for the umpteenth time please give us split screen functionality!

nila

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 12:39:41 am »

Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion but it wouldn't work.

Here's why:

When I say I'm tagging all my files - I dont mean I'm going through them one by one tagging them. I'm sitting at work, I do this as a search:

rating=[] then send all the files that have no rating to 'playing now'

I'm not sure if u saw the discussion a while ago where we talked about how to make a task bar control set - well I made one that has all the playing controls plus 6 buttons - 0,1,2,3,4,5 - I play my music while I work and as each song comes on, I just click on the rating button to rate it - VERY easy and intuitive and lets me rate while I work.

Now for some songs though I really want to start tagging them with a 'mood' field too which will be a list type.
I plan to sort them by things like:  mellow, party, dance routine, romantic, hyper, angry, etc.

Some of the songs will be in multiple moods - a party one might also be really good for dance routines etc.

I'm just going to let all the songs play and as I listen to them I'm going to quickly tag them.

I dont have the time to sit down and actually dedicate the time and effort to a pure tagging task for 10,000 songs.

It's just something I need to be able to do quicly while I listen to the songs - push the button on that toolbar  I made to maximise MC, click on the items in the mood it should be in and rate it, minimise it and get back to work - it should take no more than 5-10 seconds per song as they come on.

That's the key to a good jukebox - where we have to dedicate as little time as possible to managing our files and get to spend the majority of it just listening to our songs and the organisation happens automatically.

That's why WMP's feature of working out songs we like at night, during the day etc is a good one - it works out what we like etc without us having to do any work.

Split screen really allows us to easily add songs to playing now, playlists etc really easily just by dragging and dropping and is a feature that would be alot of power - not sure how long it'd take to mock up - but how about doing something like u did when u first introduced the panes - do a seperate .exe with the change and let a few brave souls test it out and see how it works?

Oh yeah - and just as an idea - the taskbar controls have revelotionised how easy it is for me to use/control etc MC and combined with the rating buttons to rate songs as I listen to them works sooo intuitively.

I'm pretty sure it'd be pretty easy for u guys to make the installer automatically create a toolbar on the task bar - its pretty basic stuff - I think it'd give MC a REALLY big selling point and copy WMP9's feature of docking to the system tray. All each button does is call: mjextman.exe /theCommandAsDefinedInGirder

I remember a lot of people begging for WMP9 like functionality.

It works so well because the problelm with mini-me is it always covers something in order to stay on screen - task bar controls dont and are still always visible.

phelt

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 10:41:49 am »

If we're talking about being able to see Playing Now at all times, I am 100% behind this. If we're talking about being able to select any view for any pane, put me down for 200%  ;)

nila

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 11:40:28 am »

lol.

I hear what your saying.

This could actually be done quite easily.

Playing now is already split screen.

All we'd need is an option to make the top have: Library/TreePane as an option as well as everything else there.

Doing it like this would mean that MC barely changed at first glance but in practise mean we could browse the tree in the top half of the playing now window.

Taking it one step further would let us put /burn playlist/playlist in general etc at the bottom but like i said, thats an extra step :)

fex

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 12:04:59 pm »

Nila, you write too much :P.

But sometimes you have good suggestions ;).

nila

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2003, 03:02:37 pm »

Yeah I know, always have.

I just feel bad writing: I want this!!!!
It makes me feel like a little spoilt bratt demanding stuff.

I like to explain why it'd be good etc :)

No one's perfect - I have long posts :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up