INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No TV Signal  (Read 10659 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
No TV Signal
« on: July 25, 2017, 06:27:20 pm »

No television signal on any channel via CableCARD, via Ceton or HDHomeRun devices.
Worked until latest MC update.
Still works in other applications.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No TV Signal
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:32:44 pm »

Firewall

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:51:06 pm »

Checked Firewall settings. MC 23 is allowed through, on public or private networks. But no television signal is found in MC 23.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:55:19 pm »

For troubleshooting purposes, I also completely disabled the firewall. Still no TV signal in MC 23 (but it still works in other apps).
I also completely re-setup the TV Options in MC 23 as part of the troubleshooting. No change in behavior.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:49:24 pm »

What version do you have installed?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:47:41 pm »

Version 23.0.22

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:06:29 pm »

Did you power everything off and back on?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:08:46 pm »

Troubleshooting has included power cycles on computer and on HD Homerun.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:29 pm »

And the network?

Antivirus?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 06:39:45 am »

Wired gigabit ethernet via Asus AC68 router.
Windows Defender.

Were you asking about certain actions related to them? If so, I have cycled power. As for Defender, I have taken no action with it to troubleshoot.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:40:51 am »

Defender could do it.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 07:34:02 am »

Thank you for the quick replies and helpful suggestions.

I interpret "Defender could do it" to mean I may have to disable my OS antivirus to continue using the television feature in this new version of MC? I'll try it, but that seems a questionable trade-off.

One new hint/clue I have noticed:  In MC Standard View, while the Television tab is selected, the top-line shows not only the Channel that is highlighted in the guide, but also below the channel is this status:  "Starting TV..."     That status does not change; that is, the task of "starting TV" never completes.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:49:08 am »

Turned off Defender.
Restarted Win10 PC again.
Checked Defender status--it had turned itself back on, as it warned it would do.
Turned off Defender again.
Started MC23.
Selected a channel (ABC) in the Guide, and clicked "Watch."
Still no playback of video or audio, and the status "Starting TV..." returned.
Ran "HD Homerun VIEW" -- playback is normal in that app.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 08:03:50 am »

Have you followed SiliconDust's instructions for setup?  You need to open ports.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 08:19:09 am »

Have you followed SiliconDust's instructions for setup?  You need to open ports.
Yes.
TV in MC has worked on this PC for years. Only stopped working with update to MC. (It worked with MC 23 when I upgraded from 22, but recent update changed that.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:56 am »

Have you tried reinstall MC and rebooting?  And the same with SiliconDust's software?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 02:12:15 pm »

This is really strange.  I have not encountered any problem with CableCARD tuners.

Please provide a log.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:26:46 am »

Interact rejected the log file as attachment.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 09:27:37 am »

Downloaded and installed latest software and firmware from SiliconDust.
Rebooted PC.
Ran MC 23. No TV.
Re-installed MC23.0.22.
Ran MC 23. No TV.

Any ideas on how to get Television in MC 23?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 10:09:43 am »

Interact rejected the log file as attachment.

Please email it to me.  yaobing at jriver dot com

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 02:39:23 pm »

Please email it to me.  yaobing at jriver dot com
Thank you. I hope it made it via email.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 01:15:05 pm »

Thanks for the log.

Please download, unzip, and copy JRTelevision.dll into MC23 installation folder.  I think this should fix it.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 05:10:46 pm »

Thanks for the log.

Please download, unzip, and copy JRTelevision.dll into MC23 installation folder.  I think this should fix it.
Thanks. I did that; it solved the "no signal" error, but TV playback still does not function in MC23. The behavior is this:  Upon selecting a channel, a still frame comes up (perfectly clear), and live audio plays behind it. The onscreen interface is inaccessible, so changing channels requires exiting back to the guide. Any channel selected behaves the same way, with frozen picture. I have verified, of course, that the signal is strong and playback is perfect in applications other than MC23.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 05:19:51 pm »

Thanks. I did that; it solved the "no signal" error, but TV playback still does not function in MC23. The behavior is this:  Upon selecting a channel, a still frame comes up (perfectly clear), and live audio plays behind it. The onscreen interface is inaccessible, so changing channels requires exiting back to the guide. Any channel selected behaves the same way, with frozen picture. I have verified, of course, that the signal is strong and playback is perfect in applications other than MC23.

I've seen that occasionally when I have corrupted the file set of a JTV format recording. Always my fault, trying to separate recordings out of a folder holding multiple programs using the RM&CF function or manually in Windows Explorer.

Just mentioning that, as the symptoms are the same.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 05:44:02 pm »

Are you able to record a show and play it after recording is done?  Try recording in TS and JTV formats.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:10 pm »

Still unable to watch TV in MC 23. Might this functionality be restored in an upcoming build of the program?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:45 am »

Still unable to watch TV in MC 23. Might this functionality be restored in an upcoming build of the program?

We have not heard from other people reporting similar problems.  I think it may have to do with the video card.

In video options, try turning hardware acceleration on or off.  Are you using Red October standard or HQ?  What happens when you play a TS recording?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 10:23:50 am »

We have not heard from other people reporting similar problems.  I think it may have to do with the video card.

In video options, try turning hardware acceleration on or off.  Are you using Red October standard or HQ?  What happens when you play a TS recording?
Thanks for the reply.
Video Card:  NVidia GeForce GTX 960 (same as used with MC 22).
Have tried with hardware acceleration on and off.
Have tried Red October standard and HQ.
When I play a TS recording that was recorded in MC 22 or earlier, it plays in MC 23.
When I play a TS recording that was recorded in MC 23.0.22, it does not play (or is garbled beyond recognition).
Did the log file reveal anything?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:39 am »

What your log file revealed was that you played a channel which has a video stream of type 0x80.  Normally an MPEG-2 video is designated to be of type 0x2, and I have seen sometimes the value 0x80 is used for MPEG-2 as well.

Prior to some recent builds of MC23, we did handle the value 0x80.  In recent builds, I inadvertently left 0x80 out.  So that led to us not recognizing your video stream.  With the DLL I posted, MC will recognize 0x80 as MPEG-2, just as before.  So it should have worked, unless your cable company uses 0x80 for something else than MPEG-2.

Do you know if your cable company recently changed video format of some channels?

Have you tried rolling back MC23 to an earlier build, to identify from which build this problem occurred.  Can you try MC22 and see if it still works?

If MC22 and earlier builds of MC23 still work, then we can say there is something in my code.  If on the other hand, MC22 stops working too, then maybe it is the cable company's change that is causing it.   We need to figure what change it is.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 03:55:01 pm »

That's some detailed info; thanks! I have no idea how my cable company (Comcast/Xfinity) codes their content, nor how to find that out. But I will attempt to watch something via MC 22 and see what happens...

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 04:15:53 pm »

Have you tried rolling back MC23 to an earlier build, to identify from which build this problem occurred.  Can you try MC22 and see if it still works?

If MC22 and earlier builds of MC23 still work, then we can say there is something in my code.  If on the other hand, MC22 stops working too, then maybe it is the cable company's change that is causing it.   We need to figure what change it is.
Tried MC22 just a moment ago. Works flawlessly.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 05:14:20 pm »

Can you capture a log file from MC22, and one from MC23 playing the same channel, for comparison?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 09:23:58 pm »

TV functionality still off in latest builds of MC 23. Any news on potential fix?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »

TV functionality still off in latest builds of MC 23. Any news on potential fix?

From which build of MC23 did you start having trouble?  You can download various different older builds and install them over current build and test.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 02:20:33 pm »

From which build of MC23 did you start having trouble?  You can download various different older builds and install them over current build and test.
I think it was 23.0.22

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 02:41:45 pm »

23.0.22 is still available:
https://www.jriver.com/download.html

You could try it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 05:36:47 pm »

Please set recording format to TS in MC, and do a short recording.  Then try playing the recorded file.  Does it work?  Email me a sample of such short recording.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 08:21:58 am »

Recording has been .TS format, and sometimes worked.

I've uninstalled 23, re-installed 22, tested, then uninstalled 22 and re-installed 23. I also removed my Ceton InfiniTV, updated the drivers and firmware in my HD HomeRun, and tested TV again in MC.

Getting similarly unusable results was discouraging after all that.

So, I tried some other troubleshooting:  and when I switched from Red October HQ (that I've been using for a long time without issues) to Red October Standard, TV worked again. Of course, watching my 3D Blu-Ray MKVs doesn't work when I do that workaround for this new problem, so I'll have to switch my viewing "mode" back-and-forth for different kinds of content until this functionality is restored. But this is a work-around I can control, so I'll deal with it this way for awhile.

Thanks for the ideas and assistance.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2017, 10:07:36 am »

I think it was 23.0.22

Could you install a version just before this version (such as 23.0.21, or 23.0.20) and verify that it works, and send me a log of the working run of the same channel you did yesterday (channel 407)?  I made the request on August 2, but you might have missed it.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 10:12:33 am »

Could you install a version just before this version (such as 23.0.21, or 23.0.20) and verify that it works, and send me a log of the working run of the same channel you did yesterday (channel 407)?  I made the request on August 2, but you might have missed it.
Please see one post above that reqest for log from 23.0.21

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 12:52:23 pm »

Please see one post above that reqest for log from 23.0.21

Sorry, I don't understand.  You post right above my last post was about un-installing MC23 and installing MC22.  I am asking for a log from MC23.0.21 for comparison purposes.  So far I have a log from you for MC23.0.41 (yesterday),  and one for MC23.0.22 (a month ago).  If you could just install MC23.0.21 (no un-installation is needed), do one test run (on channel 407) and, assuming it works, send me the log, it will help me get to the bottom of this.  After sending me the log, you can go back to the latest MC23 and use your work-around.

Also, I still would like to receive a short .TS recording from you, preferably on channel 407 (recorded using the lasted build of MC23).

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 02:05:50 pm »

Sorry, I don't understand.  You post right above my last post was about un-installing MC23 and installing MC22.  I am asking for a log from MC23.0.21 for comparison purposes.  So far I have a log from you for MC23.0.41 (yesterday),  and one for MC23.0.22 (a month ago).  If you could just install MC23.0.21 (no un-installation is needed), do one test run (on channel 407) and, assuming it works, send me the log, it will help me get to the bottom of this.  After sending me the log, you can go back to the latest MC23 and use your work-around.

Also, I still would like to receive a short .TS recording from you, preferably on channel 407 (recorded using the lasted build of MC23).
I will try to do those steps, but it may take awhile. I assume I should use Red October HQ for the test? (Red October Standard will not show the error, and is not what I need.)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2017, 02:59:54 pm »

I will try to do those steps, but it may take awhile. I assume I should use Red October HQ for the test? (Red October Standard will not show the error, and is not what I need.)

Use HQ, assuming the rolled-back older version works with it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2017, 05:00:13 pm »

It looks like MC23.0.21 may not work.  If that is the case you probably need to use MC23.0.13 (available here) to conduct the test and capture the log. 

In any case, please do provide a short .TS recording done in the latest version of MC23 first before you do rollback.  Just record a program on channel 407.  10 seconds after it started recording, stop it.  That would create a file that hopefully is not too large to email.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »

Don't have 23.0.21 anyway. Tried installing .13 over my .41 installation, but it appeared to be heading down actual Initial Installation pathway, so I canceled that.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 04:52:36 pm »

Don't have 23.0.21 anyway. Tried installing .13 over my .41 installation, but it appeared to be heading down actual Initial Installation pathway, so I canceled that.

There is no difference between initial installation and re-installation.  You just run .13 installation exe and let it run its course.  It will overwrite the existing installation.  If you set MC to automatically download newer version, you should turn that off temporarily so it will not automatically revert back to .41 before you are ready.  Other than that, you do not need to do anything special. 

How about just making a short recording using .41, and email it to me?  That will take half a minute to do.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 08:41:27 pm »

Have been trying to make a short recording. Either get nothing, or something too big to email.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 08:48:55 pm »

Have been trying to make a short recording. Either get nothing, or something too big to email.

Ah, indeed.  It is a bit tricky to get it to the right size.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 07:28:21 am »

The easiest way to make a short recording is to start live playback first.  Once video is showing, press the "Record" button on a remote control, or use right-click menu, to start recording.  Count 3 to 4 seconds, and press the button (or use right-click menu) to stop recording.  This way you can have a more accurate way of controlling how long you want it be.  The remote control is the easiest to use for this purpose.  The OSD may still show that it is recording after you press the Record button the second time.  Recording actually is stopped.  A 3 second recording is about 7 MB in file size.  I think email can handle that.  If not, then you need to share it with a file sharing service, such as DropBox, or Microsoft OneDrive.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 08:00:38 am »

Now running MC 23.0.45

Whether via update/patch, or all the uninstalling and reinstalling I've done, I am happy to report that TV functionality appears to be back to "operational."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up