INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring Files to New NAS  (Read 1767 times)

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
Transferring Files to New NAS
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:19:22 am »

I have gotten a new NAS (2 HDD, RAID1) with larger/better HDDs and want to know if there are specific recommendations for copying the files to the new NAS and have MC23 then perform as before EXCEPT interacting with the new NAS instead of the old (which might be still connected to the network).

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Transferring Files to New NAS
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:15:30 pm »

The way I've set up my NAS is to map the appropriate video, music, photo folders to the computer running MC as the server. If youve done that too then replicate the folder structure on your new NAS, break the links to the old and create new "maps" to the new and scan again from scratch, you will end up with the a library which is identical as before, albeit a new version and it will ignore your old NAS.

I wouldnt worry about recreating your library as MC is really quick and reliable. I've rebuilt my library several times and always been happy with the result. Its not as big a chore as you might think.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:28:28 pm »

you can use https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files for this purpose

you can either get jriver to do the move itself or you could copy them separately and then use the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy) " mode to repoint the relevant library items to the new path

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:59:44 pm »

I want to copy the files/structure from the old NAS to the new NAS; e.g. the old NAS will be in effect a backup of the new.  I want the new NAS to the source for MC.  I could then turn-off the old NAS and have it for safe keeping, or if at a later date I  need more storage, replace the storage with new data.
In this case, should I use Windows File Explorer make the copy from the old to new NAS, and afterwards have MC "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy) "?

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 01:56:33 pm »

Thanks!
I just used Windows File Explorer to copy my directory structure and files from the old to new NAS.  (I was leery about this given that Adobe Lightroom gets wanky moving files outside of Lightroom itself.)
I then tried the suggested "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy) ", but this did go as planned, as with my hierarchical file structure, music\genre\artist\album\track, it pointed to the base directory only, e.g. music, not the complete structure, and therefore the files are NOT there.
But this seems to have been easily corrected by re-pointing my auto-import to the new root directories, e.g. NASnew\music\ and NASnew\video\, performing the import, and then going NASnew\music\ and NASnew\video\ root directories and selecting/deleting all the files in the base root (no files actually there).
Afterwards, MC only sees the actual files in their correct directories.
It is amazing how fast MC23 is at finding the files!
Pages: [1]   Go Up