Devices > Engen -- Home Automation with Z-Wave

NEW: PlayPower -- Press Play, Power Up

(1/7) > >>

JimH:
JRiver MC23 introduces a new feature that can automatically turn on your consumer electronics gear when you start playback.  It's called PlayPower.

Here's how it works.  Press Play and the gear is Powered Up.  It's magic.

Like almost all things good, it requires some setup.  The magic ingredient is our automation software, Engen.  It is able to turn on a power outlet, check whether the equipment plugged in is drawing power, and if not, turn on the equipment by sending an IR blast. 

In MC's settings for Remotes, you can select playback zones to control, and set up procedures with steps like these:

Pictures

JimH:
Requirements
A Z-Stick controlled by JRiver's Engen software.  The easiest way to run Engen is to purchase the IdPi.  This acts as a Z-Wave hub, so you can control lots of devices.

A Z-wave outlet or two, or a Z-Wave power strip.  They must have the ability to report power consumption (not all do).

The total cost of the above is about $200.

Why bother?
Your family and friends will never need your help again when the music or movie doesn't play.

Mans:
Whooh !

Great stuff  ;D

I'm excited to get my hands onto this nice feature.
Will defiantly ease up my setup incl a RF remote, UIRT blaster, incl 2 IR repeaters and LM Remote to get things triggered and powered up...

Already a big fan of Engen, so 'PlayPower' is an extra bonus to it !

Cool  8)

JimH:
It should be in the next build posted here.  Expect a few rough edges.  We're still building.

This is a milestone for JRiver.  It's the first application of our automation work to our media software.  It's been a long time coming.

Mans:
Have been playing around a bit  ;D

Does its job like expected, linking MC even more to Engen.
Same look & feel like MC's scheduler. So easy to set-up and to adjust.

Maybe adding a button to open directly Engen's UI, or making a 'screen in screen' or splitscreen would be interesting ?  As feedback of your devices' state can be useful when checking conditionals inside a different zone. 

-I did notice some delays, 20-30 seconds, when launching some direct actions to devices.

When using Scenes, it's reacting direct.

-The conditional field is very useful, maybe the functionality can be expanded in the future ?  Like combining data or inputs = trigger/action.

Thanks !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version