INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRSS Audio vs Video  (Read 1901 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
JRSS Audio vs Video
« on: August 06, 2017, 08:53:36 pm »

I've been playing around with using the WDM driver to pipe all system audio through MC DSP. Works well.

I'm using JRSS in DSP Studio. JRSS obviously uses different processing based on media type in MC library. This is fine inside MC. However is doesn't work so well using it system wide because the media type for "IPC" is always AUDIO. I tried changing the tag to VIDEO but is doesn't take. When playing any 2 channel audio from a video source outside MC JRSS treats it like it is Music/Audio. Because of this any dialog in a 2 channel video is spread across all 3 front channels and it just sounds weird.

You obviously can't know what type of media the incoming audio is from but it would be nice if we could control what type of JRSS processing is used independent of the media type in MC. Or maybe just an option to set IPC media type to VIDEO instead would work. I'd much prefer it to always use the video processing for anything coming from the WDM driver.

justsomeguy

Re: JRSS Audio vs Video
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 03:08:09 pm »

Any thought on allowing this to be selectable for "live" playback, Ipc?

In options>Audio>Advanced there is the option for live playback latency. Maybe next to that just a drop down to select audio or video for live playback/Ipc media type which should be enough ,unless I'm mistaken, to force JRSS processing into whatever your desired mode is.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:12:21 pm »

You can create a zoneswitch rule which moves such content to a specific zone with whatever DSP applied you like. This should do what you need.

justsomeguy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:55:35 pm »

I am already doing that. You can control things like only mix to 2.1 for stereo, move center to L/R but JRSS uses different processing behind the scenes depending on if the media type is audio or video. There is no control for this in DSP it's all automagic based on the media type tag.

There was a thread about it a few years ago that was confirmed JRSS handles audio and video tagged files differently but I can't find it now.

You can test this by playing a 2channel video outside of MC like youtube through your browser. A video with dialog, the dialog will be spread across all 3 front speakers instead of just the center channel as you'd expect. If you play a 2 channel video with dialog inside MC the dialog will be properly played through the center speaker. This is with JRSS enabled and all JRSS options in DSP unchecked.  You can also hear the difference well if you take a song and listen to it with JRSS enabled, then change the media type of that song to video and listen again. You can easily hear the difference.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »

OK I see what you mean. Taking a stereo sine wave as an example, jrss upmixing (without any of the extra options selected) audio to multichannel seems like a party mode (put the music on all the channels with the surrounds attenuated somewhat so I guess like a reverb type effect) whereas upmixing video puts the content in the C channel.

This seems like a sensible feature request to me.

I suspect an impediment to implementation is that the user friendly interface would require the ability to change the upmixing on the fly which isn't currently supported (given that you have to stop/start playback for output format changes to take effect). It would probably be nice to decouple "changes that require reinitialisation of the audio device" from "changes that affects how jriver uses the available channels", i.e. if you make an output format change that doesn't change the no of output channels then apply the change on the fly.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 03:42:45 pm »

There are two ways to send system audio through JRiver:  WASAPI loopback and the WDM driver. You can open WASAPI loopback by using File > Open Live. Then save this in Playing Now as a radio button. You can tag the radio button entry with a media type of Audio or Video.

You could have one radio button named Audio Input and one named Video Input. Clicking on one of these is basically like selecting an input on an AVR. Click the radio button to activate the input with JRSS mixing that you desire. Then start playback of your source. I recommend setting something else as your default audio player. I use a digital output. That way no sound goes out of the HTPC unless one selects either the Audio Input or Video Input in JRiver or uses JRiver as the source.

I thought I had the above working, but realized when I manually change the Media Type tag from Audio to Video, both the Audio and Video radio playlists are changed. It also seems like JRSS isn't honoring the video tag in Media Type.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »

I have noticed the difference in playback for different sources when using the WDM as well. I didn't analyse the cause, but it is one of the reasons I haven't switched to using the WDM for all external sounds on my HTPC. That and;
1. The lag on the WDM is very variable, and there is no separate voice sync setting for the WDM. (Yes, zones. Noted.)
2. For system sounds, the WDM activates, plays the sound, then deactivates, then won't reactivate for a couple of seconds, and if a sound is played at that time it is lost. So Ding [short delay] Ding comes out as Nothing, delay, first Ding, second Ding lost.

Mojave, it looks like you have a solution ... almost. If what you suggested was made to work, is it a better solution from a lag point of view than the WDM?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up