INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expression to only show one version of duplicate albums.  (Read 3878 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Expression to only show one version of duplicate albums.
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »

I am not very skilled at the whole customizing views-business. So nice if somebody can help me.

I have quite a few albums as duplicates, and i want to only play the flac-album when i have it as both mp3 and flac.

I guess i can use the "Only duplicates of"-function on "Artist" and "Album", to idnetify the dupes? But then what? How do i make it only show the one variant of the album?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
Re: Expression to only show one version of duplicate albums.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:58:51 pm »

Sounds like a great job for Stacks to take care of...

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:10:46 pm »

Sounds like a great job for Stacks to take care of...

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

Ken

I will check that out. Quick question though, do they work in jremote (the stacks)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:12:18 pm »

Not a JRemote user so I can't comment on that....

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 01:37:04 pm »

I tried playing with it know. The stack doesn't seem to get updated from the client to the library server, is that intended behavior?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:24:04 pm »

Most actions on a client do not effect server if Authentication is not turned on. I always do maintenance on my server.

Ken

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »

Most actions on a client do not effect server if Authentication is not turned on. I always do maintenance on my server.

Ken
Authentication is on for my setup.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:01:16 pm »

I tried playing with it know. The stack doesn't seem to get updated from the client to the library server, is that intended behavior?

I am fairly certain that I have set and deleted Stacks from my Client, and the changes appeared on the Server. Along with Authentication and "Auto sync with server" being on, make sure you allow time for the Client to synchronise back to the Server, or force a sync using the button visible when the Server Library is highlighted under Playing Now.

Yep. Just tested creating a Stack on my Client, and it appeared on my Server in less than a minute. Actually the Unstack was on the Server by the time I walked there, less than five seconds. But sometimes a sync can take a while to initiate.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 06:04:38 pm »

If you're going to take the time to set up stacks, why not just tag these files as "do not show" in a certain view where you only want to see the "good files".

IDing the duplicates is the hard part.  Once you've done that you can tag them, remove them, move them, etc.

Brian.

flac.rules

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:37:14 am »

I am fairly certain that I have set and deleted Stacks from my Client, and the changes appeared on the Server. Along with Authentication and "Auto sync with server" being on, make sure you allow time for the Client to synchronise back to the Server, or force a sync using the button visible when the Server Library is highlighted under Playing Now.

Yep. Just tested creating a Stack on my Client, and it appeared on my Server in less than a minute. Actually the Unstack was on the Server by the time I walked there, less than five seconds. But sometimes a sync can take a while to initiate.

Hmm, weird, I have autentication set up, and i forced synced, and still nothing, I will do some more research, but at least I know the behaviour is not intended.

flac.rules

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 05:39:52 am »

If you're going to take the time to set up stacks, why not just tag these files as "do not show" in a certain view where you only want to see the "good files".

IDing the duplicates is the hard part.  Once you've done that you can tag them, remove them, move them, etc.

Brian.

Might not be a bad idea, but again, as you are indicating, it would be easier to set up a view which handles this automatically. (if possible). I would think IDing the duplicates is the easy part(?), but i have no clue how to set up an expression that hides half of them automatically.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 06:04:15 am »

How would you ID a duplicate?  It's really not as simple as it seems, just think about it

I've finally gotten rid of any mp3's that I have FLAC, I don't need them since I can convert with handheld sync. 

The expression would be pretty basic - once you've identified the dupes...

flac.rules

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 06:10:46 am »

How would you ID a duplicate?  It's really not as simple as it seems, just think about it

I've finally gotten rid of any mp3's that I have FLAC, I don't need them since I can convert with handheld sync. 

The expression would be pretty basic - once you've identified the dupes...

Maybe I am thinking of this too simply, but wouldn't the "only duplicates of" inbuilt function do this? Run it with artist, album, and maybe track number (artist album and name runs the risk of several tracks on the album being named the same causing a duplicate)

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:23 am »

True duplicates are fairly easy to find; this is true.  But I've spent quite a bit of time on a few large libraries trying to identify duplicates and most of them are not "true duplicates".  Spelling differences, capitalization, extra text in the album name, missing tracks in one version, etc. 

...and of course there are many many albums that have multiple releases.  Some people want multiple releases like the original, the 25 anniversary, etc.  Others would call those duplicates too and just want ONE version.

It's definitely a task for a human being, more than it is for code.  Unless you are very very lucky and most of your dupes are really true dupes.

Brian.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:19 am »

Can you just add the "File Type" library field to your views?  Artist->Album->File Type.  Then as you click through you'd see a separate grouping for each file type.
Or, if you don't want anything other than FLAC to ever show up, use Set Rules for File Display, "File Type Is Flac".

flac.rules

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 08:51:32 am »

Can you just add the "File Type" library field to your views?  Artist->Album->File Type.  Then as you click through you'd see a separate grouping for each file type.
Or, if you don't want anything other than FLAC to ever show up, use Set Rules for File Display, "File Type Is Flac".

I do want mp3s to show up when there is no duplicates, only when there is duplicates I want the mp3 not to show.

flac.rules

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 08:52:51 am »

True duplicates are fairly easy to find; this is true.  But I've spent quite a bit of time on a few large libraries trying to identify duplicates and most of them are not "true duplicates".  Spelling differences, capitalization, extra text in the album name, missing tracks in one version, etc. 

...and of course there are many many albums that have multiple releases.  Some people want multiple releases like the original, the 25 anniversary, etc.  Others would call those duplicates too and just want ONE version.

It's definitely a task for a human being, more than it is for code.  Unless you are very very lucky and most of your dupes are really true dupes.

Brian.

Hmm, i might be lucky, most of my dupes are things I have ripped myself, with pretty consistent naming. (and different editions are not dupes for me, but they also have a different album name in my system).

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 09:23:07 am »

Hmm, i might be lucky, most of my dupes are things I have ripped myself, with pretty consistent naming. (and different editions are not dupes for me, but they also have a different album name in my system).

FWIW i meant what blgentry said about dupes, they can be tricky but not necessarily i guess.  maybe the stock dupe finders will work great for you

i have to admit i have no understanding why you would purposely have dupes (handheld options convert on the fly!) but hey, to each their own use case

find them all, make a custom field (check boxes are easy here) and check the ones you want (or don't want) to see in a view, then it's all done.

flac.rules

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 10:10:35 am »

Thanks for the tip. Any idea if it would be possible to automatically hide dupes, without making a custom field? (or stacking, which basically performs the same task with about the same amount of work).
Pages: [1]   Go Up