INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Playback Issues - split from Bad TS Recording Quality - Take 2  (Read 2131 times)

robt

• Galactic Citizen

Ok, time to eat a bit of humble pie.

With the clue from RoderickGI, I decided to go back to square one. I reinstalled MC and the Homerun software. Re scanned with the Homerun and then re scanned with MC.

Guess what? Yes, the video has returned to being perfect again. All those lines and blurs gone and a super sharp picture. As to what it was, I dont think I'll know. Possibly a corrupt file or setting or the rescan. Difficult to understand but a lesson for me and hopefully a clue for others.

Either way, I'm relieved and MC comes out unscathed. For those that helped, thanks and to Jim and Yaobing I hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Onwards and upwards!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV Playback Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »

robt,

Can you email me two backups of your library so I can try finding out what changed?

The two backups should include, 1. a fresh backup (i.e. after your re-installation and re-scanning), and 2. an older backup, before you re-scanned, but after you started having problems (for example a July backup).

I am trying to determine whether it was the MC re-scanning or the HDHomerun re-installation that did the trick.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:19:07 am »

robt,

Can you email me two backups of your library so I can try finding out what changed?

The two backups should include, 1. a fresh backup (i.e. after your re-installation and re-scanning), and 2. an older backup, before you re-scanned, but after you started having problems (for example a July backup).

I am trying to determine whether it was the MC re-scanning or the HDHomerun re-installation that did the trick.

Happy to do that. Email address to send to?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:34:45 am »

He's yaobing at jriver.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:07:46 am »

I have examined robt's library backups and believe the problem had little to do with re-scanning of channels.

For instance, "BBC One", "BBC Two", "ITV", and their HD versions, all have the same parameters before and after re-scanning.

Some settings do change after re-installation.  The following two jump out prominently:

1. LAV filters version change
2. "Crop Edges" was changed from true to false.

I remember having heard reports of problems with Crop Edges setting on.  I think maybe the newer version of LAV does not work with Crop Edges.  Since Crop Edges option is not very useful with today's digital TV, I simply switched the default to "off".  That explains the fact it got switched off when you re-installed.  It may be the source of the problem in the first place.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: TV Playback Issues - split from Bad TS Recording Quality - Take 2
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:35 am »

Ok, and thanks for taking the time to investigate. One thing you might be able to clarify for me. In the video settings in MC, there are three options. Red October Standard or HQ, or custom which then gives access to MadVR and all the complex settings.

I have assumed that if I go to MadVR and play around with the settings, reselecting ROS or ROHQ will either override or reset anything I have changed in MadVR to some preset values. Is that a correct assumption?

I have changed some of the settings in MadVR, but only in an attempt to find a cause for the problem I was seeing, and not before.

Would it be of value for me to try the Crop Edges setting (I guess in MadVR) and see if I can bring the problem back?

Just to confirm, all is still working correctly

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:37 pm »

Ok, and thanks for taking the time to investigate. One thing you might be able to clarify for me. In the video settings in MC, there are three options. Red October Standard or HQ, or custom which then gives access to MadVR and all the complex settings.

I have assumed that if I go to MadVR and play around with the settings, reselecting ROS or ROHQ will either override or reset anything I have changed in MadVR to some preset values. Is that a correct assumption?

It might change MadVR.  I am not so sure though as Red October HQ probably sets important settings on its own.

Would it be of value for me to try the Crop Edges setting (I guess in MadVR) and see if I can bring the problem back?

It would be good it you test it.  Just make sure you change it back when done.  For TV you need to change it in Television settings, not Video settings.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:09 pm »

I'm trying to troubleshoot some TV playback performance issues and have been following this thread (s). I don't see anything under the television settings for changing my video options. Could you be more specific about where to find the settings?

I'm referring to the settings for video mode. I did see 'crop edges' options under both TV and video. In both cases mine were disabled.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 01:25:41 pm »

I'm trying to troubleshoot some TV playback performance issues and have been following this thread (s). I don't see anything under the television settings for changing my video options. Could you be more specific about where to find the settings?

I'm referring to the settings for video mode. I did see 'crop edges' options under both TV and video. In both cases mine were disabled.

Most video options for TV are still under Video.  Under Television there are only Display settings (such as Crop Edges and Aspect Ratio) that are relevant.  TV mostly follows Red October settings.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »

It might change MadVR.  I am not so sure though as Red October HQ probably sets important settings on its own.

It would be good it you test it.  Just make sure you change it back when done.  For TV you need to change it in Television settings, not Video settings.

Have done and Crop Edges is the culprit. It wrecks my HD picture causing the problem shown in the screen grabs. Only in HD. I have switched it off and all has returned to normal.

Perhaps you should remove the setting in future releases? Well done on tracking it down, I doubt I would have ever found the culprit!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »

Thanks for the confirmation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up