INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art not linked to tracks/files.  (Read 1743 times)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Cover art not linked to tracks/files.
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:18:17 pm »

This is probably a simple question:

How can I display cover art for a multidisc album that is not linked to any of the tracks and separate from the cover art for each disc?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cover art not linked to tracks/files.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:41:40 pm »

Have you had a look at View Extras?

I'm not using it much, so don't know if it will do exactly what you want. There is no Wiki, but a few threads.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:09 pm »

Have you had a look at View Extras?

I'm not using it much, so don't know if it will do exactly what you want. There is no Wiki, but a few threads.
I have but it does not achieve what I want.  When I have a view of cover art by album, genre, etc., I want to see the album cover of the multidisc set and not the cover art of any one of the subsidiary discs.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »

How have you set up your Multidisc Sets? As one Album, and then just listed Disc 1, Disc 2, etc. within that? Or have you set up each of the Subsidiary Discs as an Album?

If the former, the Cover Art displayed would be for the Multidisc Set and not the Subsidiary Albums. But you would not have any place to store actual Album covers then, as multiple discs in an Album don't have their own Cover Art. The Subsidiary Albums also would not be identified in MC, which could be a problem for you.

If the latter you would have Cover Art for the Subsidiary Discs, but not for the Multidisc Set. Also the Albums would be identified in MC, but not the Multidisc Set, hence the reason you can't add Cover Art to it.

MC does a similar thing to what you require for TV, with a Series>Season>Episode hierarchy, and Cover Art at each level, but that is enabled by specific functionality.

Okay, I don't know the answer, so maybe a thorough search of the forum first as it must have been discussed before, and also look up how these are handled in internet Music Databases. You may find a clue there.

However, you could look at the Series capabilities in MC, and try;
Adding a [Series] tag to each Album in a Multidisc Set.
Create and/or modify your Views to show [Series] Cover Art, and if there is not series recorded for an Album, show Album Cover Art.

Not sure how that would go though, as Series Cover Art probably only works when [Media Sub Type] is "TV".

You could duplicate that sort of functionality by creating a new tag called perhaps [MultidiscSet], then tagging each Album (and hence all tracks within it) within the Set with the name of the Set, then creating a View that displays Sets if the tag appears, or Albums if not. Maybe.

Search first.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »

i have made a view for box-sets that uses the series tag

the box-set artwork goes into the Series folder, just like for movies (so RGI, it works if the media type is audio, and indeed any media sub type can still use series artwork, even documents!).  i would guess that you could make a more complex view that displays the "series" if it is there, otherwise the regular album

on a similar note, the request has been made many times to extend the "special" folders of Artist and Series to any chosen folder so that we can make a bunch of custom display options - this is one such example where that would be cool

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:35 am »

i have made a view for box-sets that uses the series tag

the box-set artwork goes into the Series folder, just like for movies (so RGI, it works if the media type is audio, and indeed any media sub type can still use series artwork, even documents!).  i would guess that you could make a more complex view that displays the "series" if it is there, otherwise the regular album

on a similar note, the request has been made many times to extend the "special" folders of Artist and Series to any chosen folder so that we can make a bunch of custom display options - this is one such example where that would be cool
That sounds promising.  How to do it is obscure to me but I will look into it.  Thanks.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:53:05 am »

That sounds promising.  How to do it is obscure to me but I will look into it.  Thanks.

go to the "default cover art directory"
make a folder called Series
in that folder, put your images - they need to be the EXACT title that you used for the series

they will automatically display in a series view
Pages: [1]   Go Up