INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange file type question  (Read 1769 times)

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
Strange file type question
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:39:55 pm »

I have my music library on a PC running Windows 10.  All my music is FLAC. 

I'm running MC23 on the PC, as well as my laptop.  I'm also running MC23 on a Raspberry Pi connected to my entertainment center, which is not my main music environment but suitable when I'm sitting in the office. 

So here's the scenario.  I fire up MC23 on my laptop, and setting it so that the "Play from" is the PC with the library, and the "Player" is the RPI. 

It works really well. 

But here's the thing, and I'm sure there's some explanation....on the PI display, the file type is identified as WAV, even though the file is FLAC and it shows as FLAC on the laptop. 

Any idea what's going on?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Strange file type question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »

maybe its doing a on the fly conversion. have you not noticed this before?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:52:37 pm »

maybe its doing a on the fly conversion. have you not noticed this before?
//

I have not.  I wonder where the conversion would take place?  On the PI?  The filenames are strange as well.  Instead of seeing "PC/FLAC/Bill Callahan/Sometimes I Wish I Were an Eagle/Jim Cain" it displays "http://192.168.1.12.52100/Music/F48100.wav"

Strange

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »

//

I have not.  I wonder where the conversion would take place?  On the PI?  The filenames are strange as well.  Instead of seeing "PC/FLAC/Bill Callahan/Sometimes I Wish I Were an Eagle/Jim Cain" it displays "http://192.168.1.12.52100/Music/F48100.wav"

Strange
The stream URL is the correct display for the filename when you are connected to a library via library server.
Since it shows .wav I assume it's being converted (actually just decoded). This is controlled under Options->Media Network on the Pi under the Client Options (when connected to a Library Server).

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »

Thanks Bob.  The filename makes sense.  I went into the options menu, and as you state, under the Media Network/Client Options there is a choice for Audio Conversion to Don't Convert/Always Convert/Convert When Necessary.   On both the PC (server) and the Pi, I have selected Don't Convert.   But I also have selected Encoder: PCM 24 bit.  So I guess the Pi sees the PCM stream and assumes it's WAV?  Or do you think the conversion is happening on the server side? 

Actually, it's just a point of curiosity for me, everything is playing just fine.

By the way, the HiFiBerry DAC works spectacularly well,  for those who might be interested.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:53:17 pm »

Thanks Bob.  The filename makes sense.  I went into the options menu, and as you state, under the Media Network/Client Options there is a choice for Audio Conversion to Don't Convert/Always Convert/Convert When Necessary.   On both the PC (server) and the Pi, I have selected Don't Convert.   But I also have selected Encoder: PCM 24 bit.  So I guess the Pi sees the PCM stream and assumes it's WAV?  Or do you think the conversion is happening on the server side? 

Actually, it's just a point of curiosity for me, everything is playing just fine.

By the way, the HiFiBerry DAC works spectacularly well,  for those who might be interested.
The settings on the PC are for when DLNA is being used to push to a renderer or when a renderer UI is used to pull from MC's DLNA server.
When a client MC is connected to a library server MC, the client connections on the Pi I described above are used for determining what the client sees.

Thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]   Go Up