INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Pane - What Happened?  (Read 2207 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Tagging Pane - What Happened?
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:36:16 am »

With 36 (may have happened before), the tag window no longer mimics the fields in the active pane.  Seems as if it has to be customized.  A couple of questions on design

1. Is there a way to get the tag windows to simply mimic the pane fields, the way it used to be
2. Can templates for the tag window be stored - templates don't seem to storable like other templates
3. Is there a way to just get just a display of playlists that the file is in rather than the long list of all playlists and have to go looking for the checkbox? That is a pain with the new approach.
John

blgentry

Re: Tagging Pane - What Happened?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:29:18 am »

1. Is there a way to get the tag windows to simply mimic the pane fields, the way it used to be

I think several people have suggested this as a feature to be carried over to the new Tagging Window.  But, as you've observed, the new Tagging Window no longer supports the "show fields in my current view" feature.

2. Can templates for the tag window be stored - templates don't seem to storable like other templates

Sure. But this might require some explanation.  Tagging Window templates are applied by MC based on the template definition.  For example, the stock "Audio" template has a definition that says "Media Type is Audio".  Any file that has a Media Type of Audio is going to use the Audio template.

But you can make new templates that have other definitions.  Like maybe Media Sub Type is Podcast.  Then put that template *above* Audio in the templates list.  Then, any files that are of subtype podcast will select your new podcast template.

The key point here is that you can NOT select your own template on the fly.  Rather, MC selects the template for you, based on the template definition.  This is actually rather awesome.  It just takes a little bit of getting used to.

3. Is there a way to just get just a display of playlists that the file is in rather than the long list of all playlists and have to go looking for the checkbox? That is a pain with the new approach.

Not in the Tagging Window, no.  But it's REALLY easy to get what you want.  Just add a column to any view you want.  Make that column "Playlists" and it will show you, right there in the view, all of the playlists that each file belongs to.  This is easier than opening the tagging window I think.

I hope that helps.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:42:24 am »

I think several people have suggested this as a feature to be carried over to the new Tagging Window.  But, as you've observed, the new Tagging Window no longer supports the "show fields in my current view" feature.

If you add the type "Visible Fields" it should show the fields you've got showing no problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 11:21:46 am »

If you add the type "Visible Fields" it should show the fields you've got showing no problem.

I had forgotten all about that!  Thanks.

I think what happened for me is, I initially REALLY wanted "show all visible fields", but then after playing with it and thinking about it, I realized something:  I had been setting up views specifically so that the tagging window would show those fields in a particular order!  So I just set up a new template and edited it to be my "dream layout".  Suddenly I didn't care about showing visible fields anymore, because I always had the layout in the Tagging Window exactly how I wanted it.

Brian.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »

Thank you all. Very helpful.!  The ability to ask these questions and get these kind of responses is what this forum and J River is all about.   :) :) :)
John

jack wallstreet

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 04:16:29 pm »

These suggestions are very helpful.  There appear to be a few issues with the tagging window - an expansion of old issues

1. The visible fields option does not always display anything (sometimes totally blank) - not even the group title.  This happens at times that are not clear, but seems when you change panes or views within a pane
2. Correct fields do not always display with "visible fields" - same problem as in the last few versions (say 17 thru 23).  Have to temporarily move a column in the pane, close the tagging window and reopen.  That also seems to cause the tagging window field list to sometimes just disappear until one plays with the panes a bit.
John

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 04:27:22 pm »

The Tagging Window will go *totally* blank in some views if you don't have any files selected.  Just select a file or two and you should see all of your fields again.  ...assuming you are seeing the same behavior that I am.

Brian.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 04:57:57 pm »

The Tagging Window will go *totally* blank in some views if you don't have any files selected.  Just select a file or two and you should see all of your fields again.  ...assuming you are seeing the same behavior that I am.

Brian.

Nope, I was aware of that.  I generally seem to be able to reproduce the undesired behavior by selecting a file or files (it shows up in the tag window), then switch the view for a pane (change the columns).  The tag window fields do not appropriately change as they should.  Close the tag window and reopen.  For me, the tag window is blank and you can select or change files and the window stays blank.  This has been reproducible for me.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up