INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Group playlist library view by playlist membership.  (Read 2128 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Group playlist library view by playlist membership.
« on: August 19, 2017, 03:35:39 pm »

I have a library view that consists of a playlist group, but i would like to sort it within the view by playlist membership, instead of album, genre or so on. But i cannot find an appropriate choice for this. Is it possible?

blgentry

Re: Group playlist library view by playlist membership.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 05:17:30 pm »

YOu said "playlist membership", but you really mean "playlist order" right?  Because to show by "membership", you just click on the name of the playlist and it will only show songs that are members of that playlist.  The sorting will NOT be by playlist order though.  As far as I know, that feature is not part of MC.

Brian.

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 05:28:39 pm »

YOu said "playlist membership", but you really mean "playlist order" right?  Because to show by "membership", you just click on the name of the playlist and it will only show songs that are members of that playlist.  The sorting will NOT be by playlist order though.  As far as I know, that feature is not part of MC.

Brian.
I actually do mean by membership, when I have all the playlists showing, for instance 10 of them, I would like them to be grouped by which playlist they are a part of (similar to how albums are grouped), but yeah, within each group it would be best if they where sorted by order.

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 04:59:42 am »

This could, i guess, actually be solved by my feature request

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111895.0.html

Let playlists be taggable, like other database-entries, and you could gruop them by the tag?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:14:57 am »

This could, i guess, actually be solved by my feature request

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111895.0.html

Let playlists be taggable, like other database-entries, and you could gruop them by the tag?

You can add a note to a playlist.  Is that a good start, or is a rating with stars the missing ingredient?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

flac.rules

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:36:08 pm »

You can add a note to a playlist.  Is that a good start, or is a rating with stars the missing ingredient?

I am a bit on thin ice here, as I am not super-skilled with expressions, views and so on, so I might be missing something.

But on that note, I don't think adding notes is a good start, if i group the playlist-view by notes, it only does so by notes embedded in the individual mp3-files, and not by the notes of the playlist. And the reason for the general wish for a star-rating (or number or whatever) for playlists is that i make playlists for each individual album i rip, starring the best albums, and being able to make smartslist out of them would be useful (as starring all the individual songs on the album with the same rating, makes the "normal"-starsystem less useful, at least for me, i rate the album as a whole a bit different than an individual song).

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 03:20:52 pm »

^ You can do what you want easily with an user defined field, something like "Album Rating".

Tools > Options > Manage Library Fields > Add new field

Name:  Choose a name that makes sense to you
Type:  Integer
Edit Type:  Five Stars

Now you can rate albums with a 5 star rating.  Just be sure to select the entire album when you do this.  Then you can make smartlists based on the album rating, the song rating, or even both.

Brian.

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 03:32:40 pm »

^ You can do what you want easily with an user defined field, something like "Album Rating".

Tools > Options > Manage Library Fields > Add new field

Name:  Choose a name that makes sense to you
Type:  Integer
Edit Type:  Five Stars

Now you can rate albums with a 5 star rating.  Just be sure to select the entire album when you do this.  Then you can make smartlists based on the album rating, the song rating, or even both.

Brian.

Thanks for the tip, it is an ok solution, but not as flexible as being able to tag the playlist item (and it won't solve my original problem, the grouping of the playlists :))

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 03:43:20 pm »

Not as flexible?  It's *better*.  That way you don't have to have hundreds of goofy playlists for individual albums.  Do it however you want.

Brian.

flac.rules

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 04:24:14 pm »

Not as flexible?  It's *better*.  That way you don't have to have hundreds of goofy playlists for individual albums.  Do it however you want.

Brian.

Both ways have their ups and downs, but I like to operate with the "goofy playlists", it is more manageable as each album is represented by a single item, and its more flexible when songs are from different albums. However I can't do what i want when playlists can't be tagged :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up