INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending Keyboard keys from a Remote using MCC 27000  (Read 1613 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Sending Keyboard keys from a Remote using MCC 27000
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:12:53 am »

I have been fixing some Remote Control issues after being prompted by a failed button on my Harmony 880 and the discussion in this thread: Toggle Automatic Comskip - Help assign to Remote.

I either didn't know, or had forgotten that Keyboard Keys can be sent to MC using commands defined against button on my remote, using MCC Command 27000 as briefly described in the Wiki here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MCC_KEYSTROKE

As noted in the Wiki article, the list of supported keys is just a sample. In fact I have done some sampling of my own and it appears that MC can send all the main keystrokes, including navigation, numbers, text, and control keys from this list of Virtual-Key Codes: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

But the MCC Command 27000 doesn't seem to support key modifiers such as Shift Ctrl, or Alt, and hence can't support lower case text in addition to upper case, and can't support any key combinations. I understand that would require two parameters to be passed to the command in the form "nKeyCode, nShiftAltCtrl", and the command would need to be able to handle them both correctly.

While initially I was just trying to work out how to send Ctrl+K, and that isn't required any more, I do think it would be good to be able to send the full range of keystrokes from a single remote control button. I'm thinking such applications as adding a movie to my "Movies to watch" Playlist with a single button press, where the Playlist name is actually keyed in instead of relying on it being at the top of a list or something similar.

To be honest I don't have a big list of applications, but I have seen many people try to send keystrokes in the forum previously, probably because they didn't understand MCC Commands and the Remote Control functionality. Many of those people head off to install, learn, and use some automation software, at some great effort. Wouldn't it be good if they could just implement a "Ctrl+D" command from the remote easily, and then learn how to use MCC Commands over time? It is about winning hearts and minds.

So, could the MCC Command 27000 be enhanced to include modified keystrokes, including Shift, Alt, Ctrl combinations, plus upper and lower case characters? Please. It looks like it could be easy to do. Maybe.

If so, could someone provide a full list of supported keystrokes. It can be in rough form. I'm happy to format it and update the Wiki.

Thank you.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

Re: Sending Keyboard keys from a Remote using MCC 27000
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 06:40:21 am »

In my opinion, the idea of an MCC that sends keystrokes is kind of backwards.  MCCs should be commands.  Not keyboard keys that might be mapped differently on different systems.  Keyboard keys are shortcuts for real commands.  The real commands should be used instead.

But what Roderick is asking for is more like a Macro facility, and might be a great idea.  If I were designing it, I'd make a macro definition and testing dialog/tool.  Then I'd make the macros callable via a new MCC command, with a parameter that specifies the ID of the macro.

This would allow these macros to be assigned to keyboard keys (via the normal keyboard mapping file), or to remote control keys, via a command that runs the appropriate MCC.

Just some early morning thoughts.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 06:52:23 am »

In fact, isn't this mostly already built?  With Play Power?

Seems like just a little extra work could turn it into a fully functional macro facility for MC.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 06:55:52 am »

True enough. It is a bit backward, although some keystroke combinations can apply at the OS level, outside of MC, which could be handy. The ability to assign and sequence MCC and Keyboard commands, plus run external executables, all against one remote control button is already a sort of macro.

But I worked in software sales for years, on the application/technical side. So a lot of it is about winning hearts and minds.

Prospective buyer: Can I send keyboard commands to MC from my remote?
JRiver: Yes
Prospective buyer: Excellent. That was a mandatory requirement. Now, how do I do this...?

Plus it just sort of completes the offering in remote control configuration, as much as can be done on the MC side. The apparent lack of ability to use keystroke modifiers makes the ability to send keystrokes at all quite limited.

Hmmm, I haven't investigated Play Power yet, or Engen. If there is some synergy there, then good.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 06:59:32 am »

I just had a quick look at Play Power. It seems to be using identical functionality to the Remote Control configuration section, except for the Engen specific commands. So Play Power would benefit from my request as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up