INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying the user field as a String.  (Read 2780 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Copying the user field as a String.
« on: August 19, 2017, 07:37:45 am »

Is it possible to get the "User" field to be stored as a string? If i try to copy it to another field, just a number is copied. (a database entry i guess), and the user field is greyed out in the "library fields" -settings, so it is not possible to change there.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copying the user field as a String.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:30:53 am »

You're going to have to provide more detail I think...

I just placed two columns side by side, a test field and the user field.
I applied some users using the user column.
In the test field, I edited by entering "=[user]" without quotes, and my test field updated to reflect the user data.

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 04:12:41 pm »

You're going to have to provide more detail I think...

I just placed two columns side by side, a test field and the user field.
I applied some users using the user column.
In the test field, I edited by entering "=[user]" without quotes, and my test field updated to reflect the user data.

I tried the following, "User = Ingrid" in the user field. Then i chose "copy library field" from the library tools, to "custom user" tag, which is a custom tag with a string. The "custom user" tag then shows 1000. If i write the tag to the file, the user field doesn't seem to be written either?

Was that somewhat clear? If not I can try to provide further detail.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »

Yup. I'm still missing the point, because I can successfully copy the contents of my [User] field to a custom, string type, field, and the data populates as expected.

i.e. If [User] contains "Joe Blow; Administrator", that's what gets copied into my custom field.

Perhaps start from the beginning and let us know what you are trying to achieve by copying the data?

"User = Ingrid" in the user field
Is "Ingrid" set up as a user under View > Users"

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »

Isn't that the bug that was just fixed and is only in a beta build?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:23:50 pm »

I'm not sure. I couldn't see anything in the change logs pertaining to user fields, or copying fields, or anything else that seemed related?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:29:02 pm »

I think that Matt fixed a bug in this area this morning and then put out build 39.  I don't see anything in the notes either.

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:58:31 am »

Yup. I'm still missing the point, because I can successfully copy the contents of my [User] field to a custom, string type, field, and the data populates as expected.

i.e. If [User] contains "Joe Blow; Administrator", that's what gets copied into my custom field.

Perhaps start from the beginning and let us know what you are trying to achieve by copying the data?
Is "Ingrid" set up as a user under View > Users"

-What i am trying to achieve is writing the user as a String to the tag itself (that is, the name of the actual user).
-The User "Ingrid" is set up under view- users, I have applied it to the file (a flac-file in this instance), and the User-filed is populated in the program.
-However writing the tag to the file does not write the "User"-field to the tag.
- I create the custom field "user custom".
- I choose the file, right click and choose "library tools" - "move/copy fields"
- I copy the user field to the "user custom" field
- The "User custom"-field is populated with "1000" (instead of ingrid)
- If I write the tag, the "user custom"-field is written, with the value 1000.

I hope that was somewhat more understandable.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 03:01:58 am »

Now we're cooking. I see exactly the same as you...

I'm not sure what's going on with that, but.... possibly easier, and does work as expected, and does get saved in the file tag...

Try it this way...

does that work for you?

Matt,
If Elvis133 sets the default [User] field to be saved in the file tags, it actually saves the raw data [User,0]. I'm guessing the formatted data would mess things up should MC encounter, and attempt to import the formatted field info rather than the raw data?

-marko

flac.rules

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 04:01:23 am »

I'm not sure what's going on with that, but.... possibly easier, and does work as expected, and does get saved in the file tag...

Try it this way...

does that work for you?

Matt,
If Elvis133 sets the default [User] field to be saved in the file tags, it actually saves the raw data [User,0]. I'm guessing the formatted data would mess things up should MC encounter, and attempt to import the formatted field info rather than the raw data?

-marko

Thanks for the feedback. What i think maybe is happening, is that the User is a database entry, with a number connected to it. And that is the number being copied?

I will try your suggested method when i get home again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:55:57 am »

If you save the User to the file tags, it does store the number of the user and not the user's name.  This is because all the handling inside Media Center is using that number.

I'm not sure we ever even expected User to be a tag field, so I'm not sure if we should make any changes?  Thoughts?

I will say that the expression [User, 1] will output the actual user name.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

flac.rules

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:06 pm »

Try it this way...

does that work for you?

Matt,

-marko

I was going to try this now, but how do I do it? It seems like you are editing the tag directly in your view? But i am not able to do that? I tried in the tag-windows though, in "user custom" just typing =[user], and that seems to work. That transfers the actual user name, and it can be written.

flac.rules

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 01:11:24 pm »

If you save the User to the file tags, it does store the number of the user and not the user's name.  This is because all the handling inside Media Center is using that number.

I'm not sure we ever even expected User to be a tag field, so I'm not sure if we should make any changes?  Thoughts?

I will say that the expression [User, 1] will output the actual user name.

Thanks.

I guess my thought might be clear as I started the topic :) But anyway, I would like it to be taggable, in my opinion, everything that is worth having in a database is worth tagging. I "need" the info, and a database can be damaged, changed by mistake, get lost if the os-drive goes down and so on, and changes can take a while to notice, so getting it from a backup isn't always easy. So i like to tag stuff so the file itself carries the data, and that includes the user name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up