INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play Doctor - Too Many Tracks Duplicated  (Read 1423 times)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Play Doctor - Too Many Tracks Duplicated
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:37:04 am »

Can Play Doctor be tweaked/configured to avoid duplicating tracks? I somehow feel this should be the default setting. . .

I seeded it with 'Horizon' by 'Aldous Harding'; it tends to revisit the same album (in this case 'Party') quite a lot when you seed it with just one track. In this case 42 of the 100 tracks are from the same album; the album only has 9 tracks! The same seed track also played at positions 1 and 3 (and will play at positions 28, 25, 63 and 95!) That's really a bit too much duplication for one playlist.

Spike

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Play Doctor - Too Many Tracks Duplicated
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:02:52 am »

Afternoon Spike,

Could you post your "Rules for files that can be included" found under "Options"?

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:49:50 pm »

There are things set under play doctor settings, but I have no memory of ever setting them so I'm not sure if they are the default ones. . .  :)

Code: [Select]
-[Media Sub Type]=[Audiobook],[Podcast],[Test Clip] -[Genre]="Christmas" -[Genre]="Holiday" -[Genre]="Child" -[Album]="Christmas" -[Album]="Holiday" -[Genre]=[Audiobook],[Comedy],[Comedy//Spoken],[Podcast],[Radio]
Resetting to the default the only difference (addition to the default) are the genre settings

-[Genre]=[Audiobook],[Comedy],[Comedy//Spoken],[Podcast],[Radio]
'More Variety' is ticked (which is the default).

Spike

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:04:35 pm »

Hi Spike,

Looks OK to me. I was wondering if you had anything in there that might be limiting the number of tracks, which would be virtually guaranteed to produce duplicates, but you don't have that.

My last thought is... Are all those duplicate entries for the same file, or are there multiple versions of "Horizon" by "Aldous Harding" on that album?

If they are genuine duplicates of the same file, that's me all out of ideas, and would seem to suggest that something got broken with Play Doctor...

Unless of course, most of your library is tagged with Christmas genre, or one of the other exclusion rules you posted, which is highly unlikely, right?

PS. Nice MC skin you're using there ;)

Spike1000

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 02:57:38 am »

No, I'm not a secret Christmas Music Fan Boy, and I only have one copy of 'Party' in the database.  ;D

I tried adding the modifier
~nodup=[Album],[Artist],[Name]But that doesn't work as I'd expect it to (ie there are still duplicates (same album, artist and name) in the play doctor list)

~nodup=[Album],[Name] or
~nodup=[Album]
Still produces duplicates. So is play doctor broken?

Spike

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 04:09:34 am »

I'll try and have a play here later. Some info that might help in the meantime...

Play Doctor starts off with (by default) 100 tracks, and then, as each track ends, so another is added to the list, so there's always 100 tracks in the queue.
If you skip a track before it's 50% played, Play Doctor learns that you're not in the mood for that kind of music, and adjusts the queued tracks accordingly.
It won't stop until you press stop.

If you have exclusion rules that prevent this, Play Doctor will pad the list with duplicates to satisfy its need for a starting list of 100 tracks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up