INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headless 8.1 Media Center ... No joy with Gizmo or Panel  (Read 2084 times)

MattK

Headless 8.1 Media Center ... No joy with Gizmo or Panel
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:18:39 pm »

Set up new windows 8.1 server with MC 23 ... Plan to use it as headless machine and use gizmo or panel on port 52199 to play music on server and local on android phone.

It all works when KVM are used to log directly into server. No problems coming in through 52199.

Does not work when logging in with windows RDP and KVM is disconnected.

Specifically ... Can't access server on 52199 unless logged in with KVM.

Have opened port 52199 and have set media center and media server to start on startup.

Thanks in advance for any advice help or general feeling of sympathy.

MattK

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Headless 8.1 Media Center ... No joy with Gizmo or Panel
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 07:10:27 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Open 52100 to 52199.

What happens if you try localhost?

http://localhost:52199

MattK

JimH - thanks for response and suggestion.  I have opened up ports 52100 to 52199 in Windows Firewall.  And, http://localhost:52100 does bring up Panel; but I think its a KVM login thing

... repeat and update ..

Windows 8.1 ServerPC w/ MC 23 … My goal is to have a headless ServerPC and use Widows Remote Desktop to access server when necessary … My problem seems to be that I CANNOT use Gizmo or Panel to remotely access MediaCenter unless there is an open/active login into ServerPC with an attached KVM.  At least that what I think is happening …

Items are in chronological order … The SeverPC is configured such that MediaServer program launches at Windows Startup

Step 1. Re-boot the ServerPC

a. CANNOT remotely access MediaCenter on the ServerPC using either Gizmo or Panel

Step 2. Use KVM to log into ServerPC

a. CAN now remotely access MediaCenter on the ServerPC  using Gizmo on an Android device.
          b. Can also access MediaCenter using Panel from a second WindowsPC

Step 3. Use Gizmo to start music playback on the Server PC … music is playing from ServerPC …

Step 4. Use Windows RDP (remote desktop) to remotely access (log into) the ServerPC

a. The KVM login window from Step 2 is automatically disconnected (as expected).
          b. Remote access to ServerPC via RDP works as expected.   
          c. But … the music playback on the ServerPC STOPS as soon as the KVM login from Step 2 is disconnected.  … music is NOT playing from ServerPC …
          d. Gizmo shows “Working …” for about 20 seconds and then goes to “Stopped”

Step 5. Use KVM to log into the ServerPC

a. Music playback on the ServerPC re-starts about 30 seconds after the KVM login window comes up on the monitor.  … music is playing again from ServerPC…
   b. Can now use Gizmo to remotely access MediaCenter on the ServerPC

Step 6. Use KVM to log out of the KVM login

a. Music play stops as soon as the KVM login windows closes. … music is not playing from ServerPC …

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Don't hold back on stupid or obvious questions. 

Smiley face.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 04:15:33 pm »

I think the problems you're having may be related to remote login to your server.  Different programs behave differently.

For MC to work, you need to have Windows log in to a user account.  I think you may be trying not to do that, but it's required.

It might be best to get MC working first, without any remote login, and then go on to trying to use it with a remote login.

MattK

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:51:30 pm »

Thanks JimH. 

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:54:40 pm »

In addition to the trying to access MC without being logged in issue (which is likely the main issue), you may also be experiencing a well known issue where RDP resets sound devices and/or changes what sound devices are available to allow sound to be streamed back to the remote client.  This disrupts ongoing playback.  I don't use RDP but it's come up on the forums several times in the past; the solution is to change the audio options for RDP to not stream audio back to the client.

A persistent login + fixing your RDP settings should get you where you need to be.

MattK

Re: Headless 8.1 Media Center ... ALL JOY With GIZMO NOW!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:02:40 pm »

JimH and mwillems ...thank you ... Yes and Yes.

Set ServerPC to auto login to account with media center running upon boot up  .... This allowed remote access via gizmo and panel:52199.

And reconfigured RDP to NOT stream audio back to client

As is often the case ... When you hear hoof beats think horses and not zebras ... Obvious and easiest cleaned it all up .

Again, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up