INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Network through the Cloud  (Read 2067 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
Media Network through the Cloud
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:16:36 pm »

So I'm attempting to watch some of my local media with a friend who is out-of-state. Think the Rabb.it, but with local media, as opposed to streaming services (Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc). JRiver's Media Network features are robust and very functional, but are primarily written with LAN's in mind. Which is fine--I just want to go through the cloud this time so I can enjoy a lazy night with a friend who is not necessarily on the same couch.

I know it's possible, but I've never attempted this with local media. For grins, I tried to use Skype's screen-sharing feature first, but we all know how that goes: choppy and practically unwatchable for the distant end. :P

How we you implement this?

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
Re: Media Network through the Cloud
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:49:33 am »

So I'm attempting to watch some of my local media with a friend who is out-of-state. Think the Rabb.it, but with local media, as opposed to streaming services (Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc). JRiver's Media Network features are robust and very functional, but are primarily written with LAN's in mind. Which is fine--I just want to go through the cloud this time so I can enjoy a lazy night with a friend who is not necessarily on the same couch.

I know it's possible, but I've never attempted this with local media. For grins, I tried to use Skype's screen-sharing feature first, but we all know how that goes: choppy and practically unwatchable for the distant end. [emoji14]

How we you implement this?
I've had good results using JRemote and Gizmo. Both work great for streaming audio or video to a remote location. In one instance I ran an HDMI from the laptop to the TV.

https://jriver.com/webgizmo.html
 http://www.jremote.net

Though I think the best option would be for your friend to install MC and then connect to your library.

wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

Goatshade

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:28:32 pm »

Though I think the best option would be for your friend to install MC and then connect to your library.

wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

This is very nice to know, but this would enable my friend to stream my media by herself--which is also fine, but again, I'm looking for a solution similar to rabb.it, wherein we're in a room together and partaking in the same stream. The rabb.it allows this through the use of services like Netflix and Crunchyroll, but I'm looking for an equivalent solution that allows me to stream my own media.

Imagine, if you will, two people sitting on a couch together and watching a show, except that the couch is virtual and the two people are geographically separated.

Being able to access Panel from the outside address of my network might work.

Goatshade

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:03:19 pm »

Nevermind; I've solved the problem.

I had to forward port 52199 to my server's local IP. Now, I can access my assets from anywhere, to include Rabb.it.

I appreciate the help anyway!
Pages: [1]   Go Up