INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Every time I update, it removes the WDM audio device  (Read 2240 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Every time I update, it removes the WDM audio device
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:17:49 pm »

Any idea what could be causing this?
The WDM driver is enabled in Media Center, but every time it updates the device is removed.
I have to toggle it off and back on to re-enable it, which means reconfiguring the device again.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Every time I update, it removes the WDM audio device
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 05:32:40 pm »

I thought they had fixed that...it must be broke again...I don't use it tho
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RD James

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:47:37 pm »

Still happening after updating to 23.0.41
Any idea what could be causing this? I just recently did a complete library restore this week, too. (had to go back 9 months to fix auto-import destroying my SACD tags)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:49:54 pm »

This is strange because the installation for the driver shouldn't even be running on subsequent installs anymore.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RD James

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:52:29 pm »

This is strange because the installation for the driver shouldn't even be running on subsequent installs anymore.
That's what I thought too, but Media Center shows the WDM Driver option being enabled, and yet the audio device disappears every time I update.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:47:10 pm »

This was a problem on my computer also. For years, JRiver had been running on an admin daily account. For me, the disappearing wdm syndrome correlated well with the time I downgraded the daily user on my htpc to non-admin (Win10 Pro) and created a separate, local admin-account. Even when prompted with UAC on each new build (installed from the non-admin account), and entering the new admin credentials, the wdm disappeared. Every time.

The solution was to completely uninstall JRiver on the daily account (after taking backup of the library, of course). Then log in to the admin account, do a fresh install and re-import the library. After that, when using UAC on new builds in the daily non-admin account, wdm stays put.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 03:00:56 pm »

I also use a non-admin account.
Opening Media Center with "run as administrator" and enabling the WDM Driver seems to have fixed it!
Since the installer elevates to admin permissions, it must have been pulling that setting from the admin account too, as it's disabled by default.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 03:43:12 pm »

Not sure if I tried run as admin. I thought that anyway should be equal to enter admin credentials in the UAC? And that did not work for me, hence the procedure in my previous post. But....does really run as admin elevate differently to UAC?

RD James

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 04:38:27 pm »

Not sure if I tried run as admin. I thought that anyway should be equal to enter admin credentials in the UAC? And that did not work for me, hence the procedure in my previous post. But....does really run as admin elevate differently to UAC?
Run as admin runs Media Center on the admin account, so it has its own (blank) library and settings.
Since WDM defaults to being disabled, it seems that due to the installer requiring elevated permissions, it was pulling that setting from the admin account instead of my user account and disabling WDM every time I updated.
Now that I have enabled on the admin account, the WDM driver remains when I update Media Center.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 04:50:43 pm »

How did you originally enable it, if not by running MC as Admin? I wouldn't think it can install it then.
Hopefully there is a fix in the next build, the PackageInstaller that installs the driver will also save the feature flag, so that its saved under the same user it runs as to install it - hopefully admin then.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RD James

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »

I enabled it on my user account, which prompts for elevation to install the driver, but that only enables the WDM Driver in Media Center's settings on the user account.
It's the fact that it had never been enabled on the admin account that the updater was removing the WDM Driver every time.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 09:10:41 am »

Wow, new insights, that sounds like a plausible explanation.  ;D

tyler69

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 09:21:27 am »

if it helps solving the puzzle: i use the windows built-in admin only and never had to reinstall the wdm driver on after updating mc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up