INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSF (DSD) 5.0 channel playback issue  (Read 2328 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
DSF (DSD) 5.0 channel playback issue
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:46:22 pm »

I have several DSF (DSD) files that are in 2.0, 5.0, and 5.1 channels.

The 2.0 and 5.1 playback fine.

5.0 however, while JRiver indicates it's outputting 5 channels, only outputs 2 channels.

If I set JRiver via DSP Studio to output 5.1 instead of Source number of channels, then 5.0 plays back (i.e. I can hear what I expect via each speaker).  However I don't want to do this since I would prefer no mixing/conversion on JRiver's part.

Can someone at JRiver verify 5.0 is output correctly?  My receiver says 2.0 channels only for 5.0 DSD files from JRiver

I also tried with samples from this site:

https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

The 5.0 DSF files also playback in 2.0 in spite of JRiver indicating it's outputting 5.0 channels.

Thanks
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

kr4

• MC Beta Team
Re: DSF (DSD) 5.0 channel playback issue
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:49:51 pm »

I set the output for 5.1 for all such formats and there is no "mixing/conversion."  It simply distributes the channels properly within the 5.1 with the other channels mute.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:06:16 pm »

I set the output for 5.1 for all such formats and there is no "mixing/conversion."  It simply distributes the channels properly within the 5.1 with the other channels mute.

While I have no multi-channel audio > 5.1, if do have plenty of MKV video files with 7.1 (or greater) audio.  wouldn't this downmix 7.1 to 5.1?

EDIT: I just had a Duh! moment and suspect I could just set this to 7.1 or higher and achieve proper channel distribution and mute on the others as you indicate.  will give it a try

Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »

While I have no multi-channel audio > 5.1, if do have plenty of MKV video files with 7.1 (or greater) audio.  wouldn't this downmix 7.1 to 5.1?

EDIT: I just had a Duh! moment and suspect I could just set this to 7.1 or higher and achieve proper channel distribution and mute on the others as you indicate.  will give it a try
I have no real experience with more that 5.1 but it should work.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »

It works.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:19:40 pm »

You can use Zoneswitch to switch automatically between 5.1 and 7.1 output zones based on the Channels tag in the track file.  It works perfectly for me.  Also, check the box to play stereo sources as 2.1 in your output setup, if that is what you want.  Source Number of Files is problematical between 5.0 and 5.1 sources.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »

You can use Zoneswitch to switch automatically between 5.1 and 7.1 output zones based on the Channels tag in the track file.  It works perfectly for me.  Also, check the box to play stereo sources as 2.1 in your output setup, if that is what you want.  Source Number of Files is problematical between 5.0 and 5.1 sources.
The problem with that, is that it sends files to their own playlists and if you play a track in another format while one is currently playing, it will error out.
Unless you actually need to output the matching number of channels, I don't see much reason not to output everything in the highest number of channels that your device supports.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:04:07 pm »

I have several DSF (DSD) files that are in 2.0, 5.0, and 5.1 channels.

The 2.0 and 5.1 playback fine.

5.0 however, while JRiver indicates it's outputting 5 channels, only outputs 2 channels.

If I set JRiver via DSP Studio to output 5.1 instead of Source number of channels, then 5.0 plays back (i.e. I can hear what I expect via each speaker).  However I don't want to do this since I would prefer no mixing/conversion on JRiver's part.

Can someone at JRiver verify 5.0 is output correctly?  My receiver says 2.0 channels only for 5.0 DSD files from JRiver

I also tried with samples from this site:

https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

The 5.0 DSF files also playback in 2.0 in spite of JRiver indicating it's outputting 5.0 channels.

Thanks

I have the same problem with 5.0 and 4.0 files.  Mine are PCM FLAC though.  And the problem depends on the combination of equipment used.  In my case, some playback devices don't work well with 4.0 and 5.0 on my Anthem AVM 60 Pre/Pro.  But all playback devices work fine with my older Onkyo TX-NR808 AVR.

• HTPC with MC connected to Anthem: stereo only
  • Oppo UDP-203 connected to Anthem: stereo only
  • Oppo BDP-103 connected to Anthem: all channels
  • HTPC with MC connected to Onkyo: all channels
  • Oppo UDP-203 connected to Onkyo: all channels
  • Oppo BDP-203 connected to Onkyo: all channels

Since I don't use the Oppo for music I just configured zone switch so that 4.0 and 5.0 audio is output as 5.1 channels and it plays perfectly with the Anthem.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »

The problem with that, is that it sends files to their own playlists and if you play a track in another format while one is currently playing, it will error out.
Unless you actually need to output the matching number of channels, I don't see much reason not to output everything in the highest number of channels that your device supports.
Possibly, you are right, but I have not encountered an error.  But, yes, the playlists are separate for each zone.  I just don't use playlists that often myself.  As a classical listener, I just tend to select one work, usually with multiple movements, from one album at a time, stopping play before going on to the next.

Yes, I want the playback to match the input channels, but always with JR bass management applied for X.1 output. I do not want everything synthesized to 7.1 from 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1. With the SACDs in my library, 3.0 and 4.0 appear as 5.0, but with null channels.  Stereo is, of course, no problem by checking the box to make 2.0 input into 2.1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up