INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is "Move center channel to L/R" Working Properly?  (Read 2873 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Is "Move center channel to L/R" Working Properly?
« on: September 07, 2017, 11:15:16 pm »

It seems since a while back (possibly since the first MC23 release) my center channel content sound is "subdued", I don't have a center channel speaker and normally use this.

Can someone verify if this function is working correctly? Toggling the feature noted above doesn't seem to make an audible difference on my system. When viewing the analyzer, the center channel output is there when the feature is off, and 0 db output when active (as it should be). What's strange to me is when playing the attached surround test file center channel output is heard regardless of setting. This could be something in my setup, but it is the same on my old laptop dual boot Win8.1/Linux Mint (both OS using HDMI out).

Let me know if anyone else can verify, I am using Win10 Enterprise x64 using HDMI output on a AMD RX560 card. I have tried mulitple MC23 versions including the latest 23.0.48.

This may also apply to the latest Linux (Debian) version, since the same behavior is present on my old Dell laptop running 23.0.51 (and earlier versions).

Thanks.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is "Move center channel to L/R" Working Properly?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 12:52:42 am »

What speaker setup are you using (2.0, 5.1, ...)? As far as I understand this functionality does not work when mixing (e.g. 5.1 source -> 2.0 output).

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 03:19:10 am »

Center is always moved to L/R when mixing to speaker layout which doesn't have a center (like stereo), so that option not doing anything in that configuration is fully intended.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:44:57 am »

I am using 5.1 channels for all setups.
5.1 source in, 5.1 out.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:38:48 pm »

Has anyone tested this? Playing the attached file in the first post should not have any output of center channel to the left and right front speakers. On my systems center channel comes through the L/R even when the option is not selected.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:02:29 am »

I am using 5.1 channels for all setups.
5.1 source in, 5.1 out.

I don't have a center channel speaker

You have 5.1 in and out, but you don't have a Center Speaker?

Tell us more about your speaker configuration.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:15:16 am »

I noticed my Center speaker, and hence dialogue in videos, appeared much quieter some time ago. I put it down to a replacement Center speaker, ageing ears and some hearing loss. Maybe there has been a change in MC, because a few people have mentioned quieter dialogue.

In fact for video playback I boosted my Center speaker 18dB, plus played with some specific frequency volume changes. I'm still playing with that.

I output 5.1 in Dolby Digital format over a Toslink cable, so my configuration is probably somewhat different to yours. But I did some testing anyway.

Yes, the "Move center channel to L/R" is working properly. I did both a hearing test and watched the Analyser, both of which showed the Center had zero dB output. The left and right were both boosted in volume a bit. I assume that function actually adds the Center to both the Left and Right, since a Move would replace the original L&R outputs. Maybe it does some volume adjustments as well, so as not to overdrive the L&R channels.

Maybe you should boost the L&R channels a bit using the Parametric Equaliser to compensate. It would be better if you could boost the Center channel before moving it, but unfortunately the "Move center channel to L/R" function is part of the "Output Format" function, and that must happen first in the DSP, so you can't use the Parametric Equaliser to boost just the Center channel, since it isn't there any longer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:32 am »

You have 5.1 in and out, but you don't have a Center Speaker?

Tell us more about your speaker configuration.

I don't have a center channel speaker, hence I normally use the function.

My post above says it all. Playing the test file if you can hear "Front Center" dialogue in the L/R channels without the "Move" feature on, there is something awry with center channel routing in general.

Same behavior on my systems (Win10, Win8.1, Linux) using a Soundblaster X-Fi USB 5.1 external DAC.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:25 am »

Has anyone tested this? Playing the attached file in the first post should not have any output of center channel to the left and right front speakers. On my systems center channel comes through the L/R even when the option is not selected.
I just tested it and JRiver works fine. I've been using a phantom center with 7.1 output for ~10 years until I added a center in April.

Move center channel to L/R checked - sound comes out of left and right
Move center channel to L/R unchecked - silence

In Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device have you selected either an ASIO or WASAPI driver?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:34 am »

Yes, the "Move center channel to L/R" is working properly.

I'll clarify that then. As with Mojave;

Setting unchecked: Center audio comes out Center channel, and no Center audio comes out left or right.
Setting checked: No sound comes out Center channel, and Center audio comes out both left and right.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:22 am »

My bad, it was my Yamaha AVR settings all along (no center channel).

My apologies and thanks to all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up