INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Discs under Same Album name not stacked  (Read 1168 times)

Neco

• World Citizen
Multiple Discs under Same Album name not stacked
« on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:14 am »

Have a weird issue I don't know how to deal with.

I've got multi-disc albums in my library already, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the one I'm trying to sort out now.

The Album field has the same name for all Discs, yet they remain separate album titles in some cases, in my library view (only displaying by Album).   Some of the discs have stacked properly under the album name, while others have not..

They appeared to be grouped by a combination of the Album plus the artist names for the tracks.   i.e the entry with multiple discs under one album name, has the same artists listed for the track.   Another separate album entry,  has the Album name plus "Various Artists" etc.    But this doesn't make sense even from a library stand point.  I have not configured it to display things anything like that.

what else could I be missing?

edit: it seems like the artist name IS affecting this.  My other multidiscs have a single uniform Artist name for all tracks

How do you reconcile something like this

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple Discs under Same Album name not stacked
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:50:07 am »

This is a very common problem.  Don't worry, it's easy to solve:

For each album that has different artists listed in the [Artist] field for various songs, you need to set a single [Album Artist] for the entire album.  Just highlight all tracks that belong to the album and use the Tagging Window to set a single value for [Album Artist].  For compilation albums I usually use:
Code: [Select]
(Multiple Artists)
This makes these albums sort at the top when looking at an artists view.  Plus it just groups all that stuff under one heading of having "multiple artists".

For other albums that are mostly one artist, but have featured artists, then I usually use the main artist as the [Album Artist].  For example, Santana's album Supernatural:  Almost every song has a "feat" artist.  So I set the [Album Artist] to Santana, so the album groups all together.

There's some more detail in the Wiki article about this.  What I've written here will hopefully get you started.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

Brian.

Neco

• World Citizen
Re: Multiple Discs under Same Album name not stacked
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:56:09 am »

Thanks.

In this case the album in question was a game soundtrack,  often with more than one artist credited to the same track.   But the album artist trick seems to have done the job
Pages: [1]   Go Up