INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Startup Problems  (Read 3106 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
MC Startup Problems
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:41:01 am »

I get this error message sometimes after a Win 10 boot up.

I don't understand the meaning of the message...
* There is only one instance of MC loading (SEE: JPEG)
* Where would I locate the possible dual User Account problem?

A Windows reboot or using Task Manager to kill MC usually allows MC to load normally.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

Re: MC Startup Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:35:29 am »

bump.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:51 pm »

This normally happens if you have a copy of MC running and try to start another. (There is a setting that allows multiple instances if you wish btw. - I don't personally)

This should not happen if you are starting from a reboot. MC starts the Media Server too if you are using that so if you look in Task Manager you will see 2 entries

Media Centre 23 (32 Bit) -- In Apps
Media Centre Service (32 Bit) -- In Background Processes

to close down fully with this error , you need to stop both in Task Manager

Also have a look in the Options>Startup section , you can set this to start up NC, the Media Server etc on reboot. If one of these is set and you try to start MC AGAIN you may see the error.

I have mine set to Start MC and the Server on Windows startup

Hope this helps

Mike

Reboot is a clean option but that error shouldn't show.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 02:41:30 pm »

Thanks for the info, Mike.

I just switched to the new 64 bit version, will run it for a few days & see what happens. Maybe it will resolve some of the weird problems I've had.

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:59:06 pm »

WOW  :o The 64 bit version resolved all my problems ;D ;D ;D

Simply amazing....
1: No more hard lockups.
2: No more dumb error messages.
3: Only ONE instance of MC running in Task Manager (as it should be).
4: MC Media Server icon is now showing up in the Task Tray (it never did before).
5: When MC loads upon Windows 10 boot up, it starts playing with only the Media Server loaded.
6: MC itself does not load until I actually load it from a shortcut.

This is all VERY clean & orderly... not like the 32 bit version was.

Don't know what has changed (other then going to 64 bit) but something is much better then before.

This all resolves THREE YEARS of total aggravation & irritation that despite several long threads on the subject it never really got any real resolve. Now it does :P

It is sooooo nice to no longer have the endless problems with the software I love so much.

The 64 bit version is looking really good to me.

So far, I'm one very happy camper.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 01:47:15 pm »

64-bit version?  I wasn't aware there was one.  Is it an option available upon installation or a separate installation package altogether?

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:23:23 pm »

Google was my friend.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »

The 64 bit version is brand new as of yesterday.  It is in the same thread as the 32 bit version; you download the one you want.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112286.0.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 06:30:27 pm »

This all resolves THREE YEARS of total aggravation & irritation that despite several long threads on the subject it never really got any real resolve. Now it does :P

This most likely points to some 32bit software on your PC which was in conflict with MC. 64bit handles those things better, and it is less likely that a 32bit application will interfere with a 64bit application. For a start, 64bit applications can just load into higher memory out of the way of the 32bit stuff.

But it doesn't matter now, because...

So far, I'm one very happy camper.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 08:10:11 pm »

This most likely points to some 32bit software on your PC which was in conflict with MC. 64bit handles those things better, and it is less likely that a 32bit application will interfere with a 64bit application. For a start, 64bit applications can just load into higher memory out of the way of the 32bit stuff.

Interesting point.

As soon as I installed the 64 bit version I had a feeling that something was different / better as things just seemed to run smoother. Now some 30 hours later there have been NO darn hard lockups that I used to see several times a day. I'm now feeling much more confident about MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 09:00:01 pm »

Antivirus.

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 02:31:16 pm »

Speaking of AV, I just did a JRiver MC exclusion for Windows Defender using the WiKi for reference...
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

I'm not really sure I got everything right or not as Win 10 has changed so much since the WiKi came out. There is little in common between the WiKi & the current Win 10 / Defender screens.

Does anyone have a complete setup for the current Win 10 / Defender AV exclusion settings?

Also, could JRiver automate the AV exclusion process as I have to re-do it all over again each year when a new major version of MC comes out such as going from v22 to v23 (the version number is included in the exclusion folder)?

Would be much appreciated.

Pages: [1]   Go Up