INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request TV recordings indicator  (Read 1514 times)

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
Request TV recordings indicator
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:28:46 am »

Great day, as I'm guessing this one doesn't belong into the 'Too Easy' topic, I've made a new post for it.
This request may have been asked before - even been implemented already ?

Request:
A Windows taskbar indicator - to replace the standard MC server icon? - when a TV recording is running.
Like showing this classic "red dot" thing during the recording process.

Thanks !

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Request TV recordings indicator
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 01:25:08 pm »

Yes! And hovering over the icon, pops a balloon with details for each recording that's in progress... something like:
-currently recording: [CH#] - [Name of Program] - [Time recording started] - [Time recording ends]
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:49 pm »

Yes please!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:06:19 pm »

In programmer jargon, what is your Use Case for this?

Only my HTPC does recordings. It is always in Theatre View unless I am doing maintenance. So I can't see the Taskbar Icon on my HTPC.

My Clients don't do recordings, so querying a Client would never show anything. Having the Taskbar Icon show recordings would require the Client to query the Server. My Client Taskbar hides unless in use anyway.

So, not a criticism, just asking, but what are you doing and how would you see the taskbar Icon to know a recording was active?

I ask mainly because it would make more sense in my case to have an indicator show on the Theatre View background when I was on a menu, just like the clock is shown in the bottom right corner. In that case, a skin modification could probably do what you want. Here is a thread that provides a hint about making that happen: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108839.msg753695.html#msg753695

You could probably even add an indicator in Standard View, using Skins.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:21 am »

Hi RoderickGI,

A HTPC, Incorporated into my livingroom AV set-up, has also MC server running.
Most of the viewing, all of the editing,ripping and switching of windows/views is done here.
The bedrooms are equipped with MC clients - default starting in Theater View, are less used - only when the family likes to watch different stuff to the main set-up.

To me it would make sense to have a more 'direct' indication of the server actually running a TV recording or not.
Especially when running MC minimized or when a reboot is needed.
As programs like AnyDVD needs a reboot after every update - if the MC server has a Recording going's you would like to see this in a pure/direct way.

And the MC server icon is already into the taskbar, so 2 functions-into-one-icon :-)

Hoping I've explained some more around my request.

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:54:23 pm »

To me it would make sense to have a more 'direct' indication of the server actually running a TV recording or not.
Especially when running MC minimized or when a reboot is needed.

Okay, so you are already working at the MC Server and have it in Standard View, so the icon is visible on the Taskbar. In that scenario the request makes sense. As the icon already has Previous, Play/Pause, Stop, and Next functions on it, perhaps a button in there could launch the Television Status dialogue box. That would be an extra click, but would show not only if a recording was in progress, but if any tuner was in use with Live TV. What it wouldn't show is whether someone was watching a video or listening to audio on a Client, which a reboot would interrupt.

That is why I was suggesting a modification to the Theatre View skin. That way more information could be displayed about the Server status, and you could avoid interrupting any user on a Client or at least warn them. An unobtrusive overlay in the top right corner perhaps, using the existing MCWS commands to collect data. Or maybe even a menu item in the Theatre View menu to display the data you want. The problem with an active display on the icon, of course, is that it would have to be constantly polling MC to know if a recording was running, and display that as soon as the recording starts. A display in the background of Theatre View would have the same issue, while a menu item in Theatre View would only poll the tuners when you select the item.

We wouldn't want polling of the tuners constantly to actually affect the recordings, after all.

Anyway, you have explained more what you want and why. JRiver may listen and provide it.

PS: AnyDVD requires a reboot for updates? I use DVDfab Passkey and it completes updates without a reboot, no problem. Just a thought.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up