INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manually running the "Cleanup time-shifting folders" tool. Brilliant.  (Read 2612 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Some of you may have noticed that sometimes MC "loses track" of some TV recording files in a directory it creates during recordings. Typically these are Time Shifting files, which are created whether you use JTV or TS format TV recordings. All Time Shifting files are created in JTV format, even if you use TS format TV recordings, the JTV files are created in parallel. Sometimes other files, components of actual recordings, get left behind as well.

There is an automatic process to remove these files, but occasionally that process doesn't work completely, or hasn't in the past. Many of the causes for this have been fixed in the last year or two.

If, like me, you have been going through your TV recording directory every now and then to clear some space for new recordings, finding these orphaned files and deleting the manually using Windows Explorer, now there is a much better way.

Go to "Tools > Options > Television > Advanced" and click on "Cleanup time-shifting folders". The process will look through your recording directory and sub-directories, and find any problem files, one set at a time. You will then be given the option to delete the files, or not. As finding the files is the hardest part of manually cleaning up the files, this is a great help. I still check using Windows Explorer to see if another program is in the problem sub-directory (if there is another JTV file in there, with a different name), just in case, but so far the tool has found real problems, and with one click they are removed. Brilliant!

What a great, and slightly secret tool, because nobody really told us about it, or explained how it was used. Now I have. Enjoy.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

Thanks for posting this.

I wondered why nobody reacted when I first introduced this tool  ;)
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

You're welcome Yaobing, and thank you for the tool.

I do remember seeing it when it was first released, and thinking it could be great. But then life got in the way, and I forgot all about it. Hopefully now many people will discover and use it.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Castius

Same here. I just used it and it cleanup a bunch of files. Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Manually running the "Cleanup time-shifting folders" tool. Brilliant.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:21:44 am »

I have just been cleaning up a bunch of TV recordings, moving them to suitable sub-directories and so on. I noticed that there were a few Time Shift folders left over, so I ran the "Cleanup time-shifting folders" tool, but it didn't remove them.

The image below shows an example. I'm afraid I didn't take note if this was a directly that previously also had a recording in it, so I don't know the history of these Time Shift files. I did expect the "Cleanup time-shifting folders" tool to remove it though, as it has removed similar stuff in the past.

Any ideas?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »

It looks like a complete set of files (for saved time-shifting).  So these are not considered orphaned files.  If you import the jtv file, will it play?  Then delete from inside MC.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:46 am »

It plays but crashes before completing.

It won't import, but that may be because it is only 80MB in size.

I suspect it is left over Time Shifting files from when I killed a MC session when a recording was in process.

I thought the automatic cleanup process would clean that up, and if not, the manual process.

I'll just delete it and move on.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:34 am »

* - saved time-shifting.jtv files are created in case of a crash (or when MC is killed without having TV stopped).  We always assume that the user may have some use for them.  That is why we do not clean them up.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:54:38 pm »

Okay. Thanks Yaobing. Good to know. I don't think all the stuff I found was from me killing MC, but I have already deleted the rest so I will just keep an eye on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up