INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WD red drives not detected by BIOS [Solved]  (Read 18539 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
WD red drives not detected by BIOS [Solved]
« on: September 14, 2017, 03:33:19 pm »

It's maybe not right place - but may be someone has an idea. I am with ASUS & WD support since more than one week.

Any Idea would be highly welcome!

The problem is that I don't see the four WD Red's (2 x 8TB + 2 x 10 TB) at boot time and also not in the BIOS (AHCI enabled).

Hardware is:
 -Asus P10S-I motherboard with 16 GB ECC RAM and an 64 GB m.2 SSD with latest BIOS version and Intel Ethernet ans storage drivers. I And it works perfect as long as no disk are connected.
- The power supply is a Corsair SF 450W! Enough juice for an intel i3-7100 and 4 x SATA - I think so ?

The four WD RED's are connected with a mini SAS-> 4 SATA cable.
The problem is also not the cable because if I use four older disk including one WD RED 3TB everythink works fine.

If I use the WD lifeguard  Tool the four WD Red are not seen by the tool.

What I have also done is to put one WD REd 8 TB in an external USB case. Same problem I don't see the disk under Windows neither in the WD lifeguard Tool.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: WD red drives not detected by BIOS
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:06:26 am »

Does the PC fail to boot with a WD Red attached, or do the drives just not work?

If the drives aren't seen in the BIOS you don't need to test any further.
You should test only one single 10TB drive (worst case) not all four at once.
Test the one drive in one of two SATA ports, with the SAS cable disconnected. Does that work?
Do not bother testing in an external USB case as that just adds another layer of technology. Some external USB cases have limits on the capacity they support.

Based on specs and reviews, the 10TB drives are no different to earlier WD Red drives. But they are still being tested, so there could be issues. Unlikely though.

I think the problem will be with the ASUS motherboard and/or BIOS.
Have you tried UEFI only in the Compatibility Support Module Configuration? Section 4.4.7 in the manual.
Have you tried Legacy, both? I think the Storage section at least should be UEFI.

Let us know if you get this working or not. I am thinking of replacing one of my WD 3TB Red drives with a 10TB version, so I am interested if there are problems.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:54:46 am »

Does the PC fail to boot with a WD Red attached, or do the drives just not work?
No - it boots - one sees the m.2 ssd but not the RED's.

You should test only one single 10TB drive (worst case) not all four at once.
I have tested one single drive - same problem. After first installation last weeks the two 8 TB where detected by the bios but not anymore.

Have you tried UEFI only in the Compatibility Support Module Configuration? Section 4.4.7 in the manual.
I will try that on sunday.

One strange think:
I have connected the four drives through the backplane of the case via Molex plugs to the PSU.
If I use a SATA Power cable the PC does not start anymore. I have tested that also with an old functional SATA drive which works with the Molex but also not with the SATA power cable.

I have also the iKVM management module - but no errors or other strange things are shown.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:24:41 pm »

It does sort of sound like a power problem. But a 450W power supply should be fine, unless it is faulty. Corsair is a good product though.

Outvision recommends a 450W supply, but the actual Wattage calculated was much less than that.. I did a quick query for your PC.

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Mini-ITX
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i3-7100
CPU Speed: 3900MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 1 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Memory: 1 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Storage: 1 x M.2 SSD
Storage: 4 x SATA 7.2K RPM
Keyboard: 1 x Standard Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Mouse
Fan: 2 x 92mm
Computer Utilization: Always On (24/7)
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: No Gaming / 3D Apps

Load Wattage: 144W
Recommended Wattage: 194W
Amperage: +3.3V: 3.2A, +5V: 8.6A, +12V: 11.6A
Recommended UPS Rating: 350VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2017-09-15 05:14:47

If I use a SATA Power cable the PC does not start anymore. I have tested that also with an old functional SATA drive which works with the Molex but also not with the SATA power cable.

This also sounds like a faulty power supply. But then so many things do.

If the four drives are connected do they actually spin up?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Manfred

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:49:54 am »

I recognized that the Windows partition on C (m.2 ssd ) was not GPT and BIOS was on legacy. So I did a reinstall of Windows and now the GUID on C is GPT and BIOS is on UEFI.

I had a short time success. At boot time one of the 10 TB was detected! Hurrah!

Then I switched the order of the two molex plugs on the backplane. No drive detected anymore. Switching the order back also no 10 TB drive anymore, like the 8TB which were seen by the BIOS a few day before. ?

Mmmh - sounds like a power supply problem? I will get my BeQuiet StraightPower PSU 480W Gold from my PC to test with a different PSU - but it will take some time.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:57:43 pm »

Sounds like the power supply even more. Hopefully it hasn't damaged the drives.

Do all of the drives still spin up okay? Maybe plug them one at a time into your a cable from your PC and check if they spin up. You can hot plug SATA drives while your PC is running to do that, as long as you have a spare SATA power cable you can reach in the PC.

Manfred

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:24:09 pm »

So I did the following:

Took my Be!Quiet 480W Straight Power from my PC and replaced the Corsair SFX 450W. Also I took all the cables belonging to the BE!Quiet PSU and replaced the Corsair cabling.

Took a Samsung Spinpoint harddrive from the PC connected it with SATA 5 Port and SATA Power Cable. This works.  :) Same with the SAS->4x SATA cable.  :)

Took the WD Red 10 TB drive, which I formatted yesterday - and saw it for a short time frame - connected it with  SATA 5 Port. Does not work! - drive not detected by the BIOS. ?
Did the same test with all the other WD Red Drives. Does not work - drive not detected by the BIOS. ?

So I think the Corsair PSU is okay. It must be somethink different. I am loss-ed! :(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:08 pm »

You have done a lot of work!

In my last post I asked if the drives spun up when plugged into your PC (not the Asus P10S-I), by which I mean can you feel the discs are spinning in the drive? Even though these drives are actively balanced there must be some slight vibration you can feel when they are spinning, or at least some noise. Usually, even if a drive is not detected by BIOS it will still power up and spin. Well, I'm pretty sure all drives will, although they may shut down after a while if no host is detected.

So try Hot Plugging the drives using a SATA cable while your PC is running, or better yet an eSATA cable, and see if they spin up.

If the drives don't even spin up when plugged in, then I would say it was a WD problem.

If the drives do spin up, then an ASUS problem.

Either way, WD and ASUS should be doing more to help. Or if you bought from a local store, take the drives back and ask them to test if the drives are detected in one of their systems.

Manfred

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 02:06:49 am »

No the drives don't spin up. They are as cold as ice. Starting the PC and then hot plug one Sata Port into one drive does not help.

I added a 5th drive - Samsung Spinpoint 2 TB - its immediately detected by the BIOS, same with WD Red 3 TB, works without any problems - but not the 8 and 10 TB drives - they even don't spin up. I removed the 10 TB drives - same problem.

I will call the retailer to exchange them.

Manfred

Re: WD red drives not detected by BIOS [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 07:37:49 am »

I got 4 new replacement drives from WD yesterday. They immediately work - no problems so far. I am now in the process of migrating my media data from NAS to new MC windows based server.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 06:17:04 pm »

Wow that took a while to resolve. But good that you have working drives now.

So the WD were faulty all along. That is a bit of a worry since they are a new model. WD must have had production problems or something. Bad batch?

Manfred

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 09:06:09 am »

I really don't know, but in the web I found somebody else who also had 4 DOA drives.

gtiss2003

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 08:31:20 am »

This is a power related issue with the drive. I have also been through the hell and back with this. Here is the fix for the WD red and white label drives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YqMn1pCRd8

greynolds

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 12:31:59 pm »

This is a power related issue with the drive. I have also been through the hell and back with this. Here is the fix for the WD red and white label drives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YqMn1pCRd8
I know this is an older thread, but since there's already a recent post, what the heck...

I received a WD Red 14TB drive for Christmas that wasn't recognized by my PC when installed into 1 of the hot swap bays in my Norco case.  Another "identical" drive I purchased myself works just fine in the same bay.  After reading that only "some" Red drives have the pin 3 issue and there's no separate model number, I tried the trick of installing kapton tape over power pin 3, but that didn't resolve the issue; perhaps I should try standard electrical tape.  I was able to get the drive to show up in Wijndows by using an external SATA to USB adapter that uses a 4 pin Molex to SATA power adapter, so it's possible I didn't get pin 3 completely covered.

After a mind numbing email exchange with WD support, they suggested doing a warranty exchange after I suggested it as an option (I had waited too long for the 30 day return window).  So WD has sent me a warranty replacement (based on the RMA info, they actually upgraded me to a Red Pro drive at no extra chage) that should arrive tomorrow.  Hopefully it will work.

greynolds

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 06:53:03 pm »

After a mind numbing email exchange with WD support, they suggested doing a warranty exchange after I suggested it as an option (I had waited too long for the 30 day return window).  So WD has sent me a warranty replacement (based on the RMA info, they actually upgraded me to a Red Pro drive at no extra chage) that should arrive tomorrow.  Hopefully it will work.
The replacement Red Pro drive arrived on Friday and works without any problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 06:59:58 pm »

Thanks for reporting back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up