INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver, DLNA & catch-up with Roon  (Read 2017 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
JRiver, DLNA & catch-up with Roon
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:06:12 pm »

The latest newsletter says: DLNA Support is Now Still Better. It's more efficient, more stable, and quicker to connect. It eliminates skipping problems on certain devices. JRiver is the market leader in DLNA software.

I am a devout user of JRiver (audio and video), but are more and more tempted to use Roon. The whole concept of Roon-ready and Roon-nodes and endpoints is way more advanced than JRiver implementation of DLNA. In particular the lack of broad support of DSD streaming through networks (USB direct is fine with JRiver) and the lack of audio path functionality in case of DLNA is a major minus for JRiver. Roon does a better job to play bit-perfect in case of networks playout. JRiver has to catch up here. 

klweds

• Recent member
Re: JRiver, DLNA & catch-up with Roon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:10:58 pm »

If you want to use Roon, go ahead.

For those of us who own one of the *tens of thousands* of DLNA products on the market, MC is the only robust software controller/server option and I'm very thankful they're continuing to refine their support of this protocol's vastly larger ecosystem.

Mac vs PC.

Don't get confused -- DLNA is a 14-year old global tech standard that will not be receiving further development. JRiver just enables the use of it.

Roon RAAT is cool... but it is available on precious few devices right now.

(DLNA also works beautifully for video files served to my LG TV and my Oppo player...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up