INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I point MC23 to a new library location  (Read 1425 times)

bugeyed

• Junior Woodchuck
How do I point MC23 to a new library location
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:27 am »

I have struggled with this in the past & don't remember how I resolved it??? I created a folder that has LoRes music & want to make this a library in MC23. Apparently "Add Library" is not the right place to do this. If I select Local Library > Path to music folder the text says Enter a path to existing Library, or enter a path with no files to create a new library. If I enter the path to the music folder I want, MC responds with Cannot create a new library, directory must be empty.
So, how do I point MC23 to the location of the new music & make this a library that I can select to play from in Library manager?
Frustrated,
Kev

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I point MC23 to a new library location
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:51:02 am »

Here's what you need to know:

When we say "Library" in MC, we mean the *database*.  So, in Library manager, when you add a library, what it's really asking you for is the directory where you want the database files to be.  These files are very small.  Just a few megabytes.  I have a folder on my main drive called something like JRiver\libraries\ .  Inside there I make additional folders for each library I want to house.  So maybe you could make a folder called "lowres_lib" or "lowres_db" or something.  Then do your Add Library and point it to that new EMPTY directory.

Once you've created your new library, it will be empty of data files.  This is where you either:
A.  Set up auto import to monitor the folder with your low res media files.  OR
B.  Do a one time import of that same folder of your media files.

Then you're all set.

Generally speaking you really don't need libraries for separating different resolutions of media.  MC's powerful view system can let you easily access the files you want in the way that you want.  Just realize that when you make new libraries, you are setting up some hard limitations:

Combining libraries is very difficult , especially if you have playlists you want to preserve.
Switching libraries is relatively slow.
Of course you can only see one library at a time.

Good luck with your project.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up