INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering Video - hard drive problem?  (Read 2637 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Stuttering Video - hard drive problem?
« on: September 18, 2017, 01:23:04 pm »

I just rebuilt an older HTPC for my bedroom which is a MC client. I have not been able to get steady Video playback since the rebuild. The reason for the rebuild was to replace a bad MB. I reused everything else (CPU, Memory, pwr supply, etc.).

When playing a movie, with either RO-Std or RO-HQ, the movies will play for a few minutes then start to stutter. I checked all the settings in MC. Everything is set up as it was previously when movies played without issue.

I played a movie with "Windows Resource monitor" running and it looks like the Hard Drive is seeing 100% utilization at the time of stutter.

The drive is a Western Digital 1TB (green drive). Its a relatively new drive, but being "green" its more of an economy-minded drive rather than a performance oriented drive.

Should this hard drive be capable of steady playback? what else could be wrong?

This drive has only Win10 x64 and MC23 instaled on it. There is 900+GB of space remaining. I did the anti-virus exclusions for MC program, and file types m2ts and mkv.

The movies play fine on my other client HTPC in the Family room. All networking is hardwired.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stuttering Video - hard drive problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:33:14 pm »

It's probably a 5400 RPM drive but that should have no trouble serving a movie.

What is the connection?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:27:30 pm »

By connection do you mean to network? If so, its a hardwired network with 1GB router. Although computer's internal network card is 1000MB speed.
The hard drive is Sata-3. I'm not seeing any CPU load or memory loading while playing movie.

Perhaps there is a hard-drive "testing program" I can get, that will tell me if there is an issue with the drive or controller.

JRMark score is:3076
Math 1757
Image 4384
Database 3093

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 05:58:21 pm »

I meant the drive.  Just wanted to be sure it wasn't a USB or network connection.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 06:04:10 pm »

Have a Look at HDSentinel for some diagnostics.  Love this prog.
JRiver CEO Elect

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 06:23:19 pm »

Check your network speed by just dragging a large file to it from a remote PC, could be a network driver problem...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:53 pm »

Have a Look at HDSentinel for some diagnostics.  Love this prog.

+1

I just played a BD on my Client and saw a maximum of about 4.2MB/s combined Read and Write on the Disk tab of "Windows Resource monitor" for MC related activity. Mostly in the Windows NetCache for the SSIF file, buffering the movie as it played.

That level of activity just shouldn't saturate a drive. So maybe your drive has some issues.

I sort by "Total (B/sec)" on the "Windows Resource monitor" Disk tab to see what is using the disk most. Is there something that looks unusual happening in there? There will be a lot of NTFS stuff going on, but the "SSIF" files should be at the top most of the time, at least until the video is fully cached... unless your MC Server crashes due to a memory leak problem that just doesn't want to go away. But that is for another thread.  :(
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 05:01:36 am »

I downloaded HD sentinel. I'll run it later today when I'm back home from work.

I updated to latest MC version on all machines.
I was watch a complete DVD movie rip last night without any problems.

UPDATE: Ran hard drive Sentinel (all tests) and it did not find any problems with drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up