INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New PC with MC23  (Read 10192 times)

eljr

• World Citizen
Re: New PC with MC23
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2017, 11:18:58 am »

The tagging error could be because of the file name/path limit in Windows.  That would cause MC to not be able to write to your files to change their tags.

Brian.

I know. So then when you rip, MC advises you and you need to truncate it.... right?

and it played on the old PC....

just sayin, I don't hold the answers, you do. But if this is the case I'd love to understand how and why this happens. Just for general knowledge. Like I said, I am thrilled with but a handful of issues I can fix. 

These are the 2 files that separated themselves.

Battalia, a 10 - Die Liederliche Gesellschaft Von Allerley Humor: Allegro

Battalia, a 10 - Lamento Der Verwundten Musquetirer: Adagio

If you need that long string, which is what I suspect, tell me how to copy it.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2017, 11:24:30 am »

I vaguely remember going through this type of issue during one upgrade a few years ago. I think my solution was to simply change the name to something shorter but do not remember the details.

You could change the artist or album tag temporarily to something else for the album and then try to import just that album and see what happens. If even that gives an error, you might just try to delete the album from the library and import it again. Given that there are only 10 albums, such a manual approach might be the easiest solution.

Exactly what I am doing. It's so easy. I have 5 albums that I need to do this for.
Only 5 because the other 5 I was able to fix.

and I did think to try the temporary change you suggest, did not work. (only tried it on one, don't recall which one it was.)

Like I said, I could not be happier.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2017, 12:17:26 pm »

Sounds like we don't need to really investigate and experiment too much since you are able to easily fix these.  That's great!

Just for the record:  My speculation was that you had taken a file from something like:

D:\path\to\the\file.flac

...and put in on your C drive like:

C:\users\yourusername\music\path\to\the\file.flac

That would have added 10 or 20 characters to the filename, which might have pushed it over the Windows limit for total path length.

Either way, I'm glad you're getting it sorted out.  :)

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 01:26:22 pm »

Enjoy the new system :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2017, 07:40:23 pm »

You may wish to check a setting on your old PC and compare it to the new PC. It is experimental, and I don't know how well it works, or its development status, but there is a setting for long file names in MC.

"Options > General > Advanced > Support extra long file names (experimental)"

If that was turned on in your old PC, and is off in your new PC, that would explain the failure in the new PC.

Perhaps try turning it on if you haven't fixed all the issues, and see if that setting does it.

PS: I agree your music shouldn't be under your User Profile directory, or on your C: drive at all. It would have been best if you new PC had a second hard drive in it, and the music was put on that, or if that was a problem, the music went onto a fast external USB drive. But as you have put it onto your C: drive, keep an eye on free space there. You should never let it get below 10%, and preferably 30% free space.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2017, 08:43:27 pm »

You may wish to check a setting on your old PC and compare it to the new PC. It is experimental, and I don't know how well it works, or its development status, but there is a setting for long file names in MC.

"Options > General > Advanced > Support extra long file names (experimental)"

If that was turned on in your old PC, and is off in your new PC, that would explain the failure in the new PC.

Perhaps try turning it on if you haven't fixed all the issues, and see if that setting does it.

The long filename option was introduced in MC 21.0.78. Since the original files came from MC 20, I do not think that is the problem.  If you look at the error message, the error and the filename are not the same. Not sure what is going on.

PS: I agree your music shouldn't be under your User Profile directory, or on your C: drive at all. It would have been best if you new PC had a second hard drive in it, and the music was put on that, or if that was a problem, the music went onto a fast external USB drive. But as you have put it onto your C: drive, keep an eye on free space there. You should never let it get below 10%, and preferably 30% free space.

As long as there is plenty of space on the c:drive, I don't see any reason to put the music on a separate disk.  Obviously, if the disk starts to get full, then another drive is necessary. Personally, I like having everything under a user directory. I find it easier than remembering where the files are stored. Seems like a personal preference.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2017, 09:59:02 pm »

I noticed that one of the albums you were having trouble with was a Shostakovitch symphony album by the Boston Symphony under Andris Nelsons. So, I thought you might be interested in a review of his Eleventh done last night night for the first time by them. The concert will be released  on Deutsche Grammophon.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2017/09/29/bso-continues-shostakovich-cycle-continues-with-eleventh/IHArzA3omAI69Ve58bTION/story.html

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2017, 02:51:16 am »

not sure what this means "User Profile directory"

as to space, no issue

I bought this PC as a dedicated audio PC and made sure I had a plenty big hard drive for my current and future needs. It's over 75% free space after the migration. As I said, it's only for audio files so I will have no room issues. Is there another reason you feel I should use attached storage besides space?

I am backed up on an external hard drive , how would reversing this configuration benefit me?

Space was not an issue on the old PC but still I doubled the hard drive with the new one.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:00 am »

As long as there is plenty of space on the c:drive, I don't see any reason to put the music on a separate disk.  Obviously, if the disk starts to get full, then another drive is necessary. Personally, I like having everything under a user directory. I find it easier than remembering where the files are stored. Seems like a personal preference.

I had thought this through in advance and could see no advantage in not having my server and library united. 

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2017, 03:57:19 am »

OK, so now I am ready to use a send PC (and a 3rd?? if it's possible) as a client. (is that the right word?)

Can I install MC23 as a client on my old PC which still has the full library and is running MC20?? (leaving MC20 it as a backup for now)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2017, 07:39:01 am »

OK, so now I am ready to use a send PC (and a 3rd?? if it's possible) as a client. (is that the right word?)

Can I install MC23 as a client on my old PC which still has the full library and is running MC20?? (leaving MC20 it as a backup for now)

You can install MC23 on your old system and leave MC 20 installed. On MC20, you probably want to  make sure nothing starts up at startup  (Tools - Options - Startup - Windows Startup) so you are not running both at once. Your MC23 system should  see MC20 and import all the settings and files. If not, stop the auto import and you can install the MC20 backup. You can use MC23 without doing using client/server by just moving any new music files from the new system to the old system and importing them. Using client/server means you only have to maintain one set of files and one library.

There are articles in the Wiki on Media Network and Media Server which might help. Both the systems need to be on your local network.  You need to enable Media Network (Tools - Options - Media Network) on the new system and note the access key. Then on the client system, in the upper left of the tree under Playing Now - Playing From add a new library using the access key from the new system. When you select the server system, the client will load the library from the new system. At the top of Playing Now you can choose where the music will play - either on the old system (Player) or on the new system(There). On the client, in Media Network  under Client - Audio set conversions to none. Otherwise it might convert to mp3.

If you have a Firewall running you may have to open up port 52199. How you do that depends on your Firewall.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2017, 05:48:49 am »

I noticed that one of the albums you were having trouble with was a Shostakovitch symphony album by the Boston Symphony under Andris Nelsons. So, I thought you might be interested in a review of his Eleventh done last night night for the first time by them. The concert will be released  on Deutsche Grammophon.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2017/09/29/bso-continues-shostakovich-cycle-continues-with-eleventh/IHArzA3omAI69Ve58bTION/story.html

Very cool!

thanks

I am "trying" to sit out this season as concerts can be expensive. It becomes a trade off between concerts and new CD's.

It's harder than quitting smoking or drinking, at least for me. I did not attend this event last week. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/arts/music/new-york-philharmonic-jaap-van-zweden-philip-glass-mahler.html

:-[

and of course I am seemingly receiving mailers daily of upcoming events and calendars.... What a great season to be largely sitting out.

Last season I was fairly attentive, here is a post with highlights of my season last year.
https://www.audioaficionado.org/showpost.php?p=854162&postcount=156

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:33 am »

Enjoy the new system :)

I thought I was all done and set but I cant seem to get the client to load the main library.

When I enter the Access Code I get this.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up