INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gyrations cordless mouse+keyboard  (Read 1228 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Gyrations cordless mouse+keyboard
« on: June 26, 2003, 05:12:56 am »

I thought I saw a discussion not too long ago about many MC users being more satisfied with this cordless mouse+keyboard (than MS or Logitech), but a search turns up nothing.

So, let me ask:  Anyone using this RF (not IR) combo?  Are there any problems??

tia .. shAf  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Gyrations cordless mouse+keyboard
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 06:10:06 am »

Yup.  Using both with no problems at all.  Range excellent (don't know exactly, but far enough away that I could no longer see what I was doing on the screen).

I've seen some reports questioining the long term durability of the gyration bit in the mouse, though this was in an office conference room where it probably got  badly treated.  I've had no problems at all so far.

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 08:16:10 am »

I'm a huge fan as well. Mine works like a charm from well over 25 ft.
Keeping the world safe for short SIGs

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 07:21:41 am »

Things I love about the Gyration Ultra mouse and keyboard:

• Range. Typical wireless mice/keyboards are designed for desktop use, with about a 6 foot range. The Gyration is designed for presentations, with a 25 foot range. I can sit on my couch or be in my kitchen and still control my living room PC (on the TV).
  • Form factor. Most wireless mice are designed for desktop use. The Gyration is designed for both dekstop and handheld use. It is easy to hold in your hand when you're standing in front of the TV or sitting on the couch. But you can also use it on a desk or countertop. Heck--since it's optical, you can use it on the carpet if you want!

These are the main things, but in general, I'm really impressed with how well engineered the mouse is. Some other thoughts:

• Make sure you get the Ultra, not the original (older) mouse. The original doesn't have a scroll wheel; the Ultra does.
  • When I first got the mouse, I had a lot of trouble using it in the air. That comes with practice. If you have trouble, try disabling mouse acceleration and/or lowering your mouse speed.
  • Learn to quickly release the "gyro" button before you click the right or left mouse button. That will keep the mouse from moving off of whatever you're clicking as you move your hand to click the button.
  • When I first got the mouse, I had some issues with accidentally clicking the buttons as I was holding it. I found that this didn't happen if I rested my thumb on the bottom edge of the scroll wheel.

johnp

• World Citizen
  • let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 03:49:28 pm »

I really like the combo pack (keyboard and mouse).  I have heard there is little difference between the 25' and 100' versions, but this could be hear say.  At any rate, if it is for a single room application the 25 footer should be fine.

One thing to look out for is that you should be careful how close you place the receiver/transmitter module to other noisy electronics like computers and monitors.  It will effect the performance.  Just make sure and put it as far away as the USB cord will allow, and it should work wonderfully for you.  I wouldn't have any other device.

JP

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 09:24:29 pm »

I love my Gyration mouse and keyboard(the keyboard lost functionality of some of the keys, Gyration RMA'd it and the replacement keyboard has worked fine - excellent service- 24hrs)

The range is about 25-30ft, the store didn't have the 100ft range model. You can (as I have) extend the range by adding a USB extention cable or two and put the reciever closer to where you want to use the devices. In my situation I use it in my bedroom with my TV (& Hairstyle) and this is about 50ft and 3 walls away from my computer. It works great!
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up