INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New sidecar option?  (Read 2261 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
New sidecar option?
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:45 pm »

Would it possible to add an option to have MC set the hidden attribute on sidecar files generated by MC? I and others that have access to my files often still use explorer sometimes and it's just messy having all the sidecar files cluttering things up.

RD James

Re: New sidecar option?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:44 pm »

+1

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:17:01 am »

I'm sure you know those type of files can be hidden in windows (they are hidden by default) depending on your OS there are options you can use to toggle those files on and off

kind regards
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RD James

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:39:34 pm »

I'm sure you know those type of files can be hidden in windows (they are hidden by default) depending on your OS there are options you can use to toggle those files on and off
Sidecar files are XML files, which Windows does not hide by default.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:24:51 pm »

Sidecar files are XML files, which Windows does not hide by default.
either way they can be hidden.....just saying

kind regards
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

justsomeguy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:46:05 pm »

So you are saying you can tell windows to automatically hide all files, from this point forward, that match say *.JRSidecar.xml? As far as I'm aware every time I add a new file that MC generates a sidecar for I would have to go outside MC and tell windows it to hide those files.

You could use say "attrib +h *.JRSidecar.xml /s" I guess but MC should be able to set the sidecar as hidden at the moment it is created instead of the user having to go outside of MC and do it by hand.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 05:24:49 am »

This requested feature seems like a strange solution to a "problem" that has been asked about many times.

I personally don't find the current behavior to be problematic.  Because I access my files mostly through MC and when I am in the file system, I can easily ignore the .jpg and .xml files.  Or use a wild card to find what I want.  But that's me.  I understand that others find this behavior of storing the sidecar next to the main file to be "messy".  It is.  It's just a mess I can ignore.

So asking for *one* of the files to be hidden makes zero sense to me.  If the behavior is going to be fixed, let's fix it correctly.  If JRiver is going to spend time on this, why not make an optional setting that stores sidecar files in their own directory?  For that matter, the JPG files could be in that same directory.  This would clean everything up and make people here happy.

On the other hand, it also introduces two new problems.  First, the sidecar files could now have overlapping names.  Second, the main point of the sidecars is so they can be imported into a fresh copy of MC, should the database be lost.  How would you now tell MC to go find all of the sidecars for the video files you are importing?  A global setting for the sidecar location I suppose.  Assuming that you don't lose your sidecar directory when you lose your copy of MC (presumably due to a drive failure or other disaster).

So now that I've talked myself in a circle, I'm not sure there are any good solutions other than turning off sidecar files.  A feature that already exists.

For those of you who are asking for the "hide xml file" feature, would you like it better if the sidecars were in their own dedicated directory?  Or no.

A deceptively difficult issue to solve...

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:51:12 am »

OK, here's another idea that I think is better:  Store the sidecar and XML files in a subdirectory along with the original movie file.  Let's say you have this structure:

M:\Movies\
  Election_mkv_JRSidecar.xml
  Election.jpg
  Election.mkv
  Empire Records_mkv_JRSidecar.xml
  Empire Records.jpg
  Empire Records.mkv
  Enter The Dragon_mkv_JRSidecar.xml
  Enter The Dragon.jpg
  Enter The Dragon.mkv

With the extra files in their own directory it would look like this:

Election.mkv
  Empire Records.mkv
  Enter The Dragon.mkv
  \JRiver Files\
     Election.jpg
     Empire Records.jpg
     Enter The Dragon.jpg

This would work no matter if you have one big movie directory, or one movie directory per movie.  You'd just end up with one extra subdirectory, which is pretty unobtrusive in my opinion.  Seems like a pretty good compromise solution to me.

Brian.

justsomeguy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 02:44:46 pm »

OK, here's another idea that I think is better:  Store the sidecar and XML files in a subdirectory along with the original movie file.  Let's say you have this structure:

Election.jpg
  Election.mkv
  Empire Records.jpg
  Empire Records.mkv
  Enter The Dragon.jpg
  Enter The Dragon.mkv

With the extra files in their own directory it would look like this:

Election.mkv
  Empire Records.mkv
  Enter The Dragon.mkv
  \JRiver Files\
     Election.jpg
     Empire Records.jpg
     Enter The Dragon.jpg

This would work no matter if you have one big movie directory, or one movie directory per movie.  You'd just end up with one extra subdirectory, which is pretty unobtrusive in my opinion.  Seems like a pretty good compromise solution to me.

Brian.

My thought/solution of having MC set the hidden flag on it's own files was partially for keeping sidecars with its associated media file with the idea of making recovering from a mistake easier. There could be a check box in MC that says "Hide MC sidecar/jpg files". MC would then set the hidden attribute on all current files in it's library and any new files created when new media is imported. If you uncheck the option it just removes the hidden attribute.

That said I would be happy with the solution you proposed above. Movies that are in their own separate folders aren't that big of a deal really. It becomes very "messy" when you are talking about TV or some kind of series where all files for a season is in one folder. You may have 20 episodes with 20 xml's and 20 jpg's created by MC. If those xml and jpg were moved into a single sub folder things would be "clean" and still be physically with the media making restoring in case of a problem easy.

Edit:
Ok thinking about it more I'm +1 you solution instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up