INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much latency does jriver add?  (Read 1303 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How much latency does jriver add?
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:35:16 pm »

I compared hauppauge capture to jriver today by using the lag between pressing a button on a remote control and the reaction being visible. This is not going to yield ms precision by any means but I wanted to see if jriver was in the same ballpark. I estimate jriver, in live TV no time shifting mode, is in the region of 1s slower.

Is this expected or does this seem unusually slow?

Subjectively hauppauge capture feels laggy but not too far off manageable, the same through jriver feels unusable.

context for the question is whether or not I'm wasting my time trying to use jriver to capture the output from a cable box where the user is using that display to remote control the box (am not averse to spending money to solve the problem but it's in jriver then not much I can do...)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: How much latency does jriver add?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 03:23:33 pm »

Usually it is best to run TV channels in time-shifting mode.  When doing time-shifting, we do wait a bit for the video data to build up before we actually display it.  That wait can be 2 seconds.  It is done to avoid hiccups.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: How much latency does jriver add?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:51:15 am »

ok thanks

fwiw I've grabbed one of these - http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi-plus - to try out. In live mode, this is basically live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up