INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FAQ : UHD Blu Ray  (Read 45182 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: UHD Blu Ray Decrypter (DeUHD)
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:00 pm »

FYI - the next beta version of AnyDVD HD will also support the same method as MakeMKV (and the list of titles supported with this method is growing)
I just went there and the beta build was posted 5 minutes ago.  :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2017, 07:09:10 pm »

Can't wait to try and compare the output.... when I'm back that is :(
JRiver CEO Elect

rec head

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2017, 08:57:56 am »

There is only one key available for the movies I have but after getting the recommended Asus drive I was able to rip it easily. I really hope these keys keep coming out. Before I realized only one key was available I started going down the "which video card is right for me?" rabbit hole so I could actually play it back. That is a dark hole to go down.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2017, 06:08:14 pm »

...and a dark hole I gave up on.  I did an entire HTPC build to play UHD using PowerDVD this year but could never get it to work.  Gave Up.  + PDVD is certainly not my choice of SW.  MC / LAV / madVR looks great on the big screen with this content.
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2017, 06:28:09 pm »

I did an entire HTPC build to play UHD using PowerDVD this year but could never get it to work.  Gave Up.  + PDVD is certainly not my choice of SW.

It is so crippled by DRM, even for DVDs and normal Blu-rays.

I decided to watch a Blu-ray using PDVD 16 recently.
On inserting the disc, PDVD told me it needed a patch to support the newer disc. No problem. Quite normal. I let the patch install.
PDVD said it still couldn't play the disc, and that it needed access to the internet to get new disc data to play. Nothing would make it find the internet.  ?
So I checked for updates. Yep, there is one available. It wanted me to upgrade, for a really cheap heavily discounted price (NOT). No thanks, just apply the update. Okay. Done.
PDVD said it still couldn't play the disc, and that it needed access to the internet to get new disc data to play. Nothing would make it find the internet.  :'(
But it offered two other ways to get the code that it needed to play the disc. Here is a URL to a page that will give you the code. Der, a web page needs internet access!
Opened said web page. Tried to copy the code so that I could paste it into PDVD. Nope, that page doesn't allow copying the code. So I had to rearrange PDVD and Chrome so that I could see the code and key it into PDVD, using my IR Remote because PDVD couldn't use the keyboard for input (!) then PDVD let me play the disc.  >:(

But DRM is protecting the industry from piracy and saving lots of jobs in the process, with little to no inconvenience to users at all.  ::)
Yeah. It took me at least 15 minutes to go through the above, whereas if I had just played the disc with MC it would have worked immediately. But I wanted to explore the Blu-ray menu on this particular disc.  Sigh.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2017, 06:42:40 pm »

Prior to being able to play UHD in MC, I gave up on PC based UHD playback and just bought an XBoxOne S.  Cheap for a BD player and it worked.  The problem is managing all the physical discs.  Thankfully we now have some solutions :)
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2017, 11:42:28 pm »

Yeah. It took me at least 15 minutes to go through the above, whereas if I had just played the disc with MC it would have worked immediately. But I wanted to explore the Blu-ray menu on this particular disc.  Sigh.
Great story.  It's similar to the working conditions we're faced with.  Restrictions on content everywhere.

Maybe it's just entropy, the world getting more complex all the time.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:35 am »

Hey Hendrik, Not sure if you are playing with UHD yet... but there a couple of rips where the ATMOS bitstream seems to drop out.  An example is  “Pirates of the Caribbean - Dean Men Tell No Tales” with the ATMOS tack dropping out a couple of times between 17:45 and 19:00 minutes into the movie and it is the same spot for multiple people.  The original disc in a XBoxOneS has not issue.  Some of these users think it is due to the high bitrate on these discs, but I'm not sure how to debug the issue.  eac3to can demux these without errors.  Any ideas?
JRiver CEO Elect

rec head

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2017, 07:19:14 am »

...and a dark hole I gave up on.  I did an entire HTPC build to play UHD using PowerDVD this year but could never get it to work.  Gave Up.  + PDVD is certainly not my choice of SW.  MC / LAV / madVR looks great on the big screen with this content.

I ripped using MakeMKV. It seems like the UHD video would play like any other movie I have if only my HTPC wasn't so old. If more of my movie keys pop up I'll look into upgrading then.

jachin99

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2017, 11:52:54 am »

For future reference, I don't see dolby atmos listed as a supported format for PDVD 17.  This is bad for me because i was planning to grab a copy but now I'm not sure.  Here is the link.  MC can bitstream a dolby atmos track from a copied BR UHD disc into a receiver, correct? Here is a link to the PDVD page.  https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/compare-versions_en_US.html?&r=1  I would also love the ability to just pop in a disc and play a movie on the HTPC but it looks like I'll have to use my buggy xbox for a while longer.

rec head

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »

MC does play ATMOS/DTS:X as long as you are setup to bitstream.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2017, 03:39:43 am »

So, if I understand correctly, to be able to see the BD-UHD we currently need a "friendly" optical reader and the latest version of AnyDVD HD. Then the disk is copied to the PC using "Rip Disc" by JRiver to then be viewed directly from the PC: is it correct?

To be able to see it directly as it happens today with BD, we have to wait AnyDVD BDUHD to which we will have to add a BDUHD optical reader, right?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2017, 03:49:12 am »

Please read from the beginning of the thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112653.0.html

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2017, 03:55:04 am »

MC has the ability to play/import un-encrypted Bluray and UHD Bluray and import them into the library.  If your aim is to backup and play your discs you first need a 3rd party program that will do the decryption for you.  There are no "universal" tools that support all UHD BD discs at this time, though you do have a couple of options.  You should see their websites for what it costs, what discs they support, and what Optical Drives are required, try googling;
- DeUHD
- AnyDVD HD

If either of these are running in the background and you insert your UHD BD into a supported Optical Disc Drive, after a short period they will be presented as an un-encrypted disc and MC will pop up asking if you want to rip/import it to your HDD.

Another option is to use MakeMKV to do the rip to your HDD which you can then import into MC (either as a 100% Folder Structure or as an MKV).
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2017, 04:12:40 am »

jmone,
How about moving that post to a new thread and locking this one?  Or at least pointing to the new one?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: FAQ : UHD Blu Ray
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2017, 04:34:41 am »

I've updated the OP - how does that look?
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2017, 05:02:39 am »

Looks good, but the following posts will lead new readers down a twisting path.  A separate thread with cross links would be cleaner, in my opinion.

But you're in charge.

Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2017, 05:32:30 am »

Ack.  Lets see how it goes.  If it turns pear shaped I'll close this and start a new thread.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2017, 06:25:09 am »

Never underestimate the power of verbosity.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2018, 09:05:08 pm »

This will make many UHD owners happy.

MakeMKV’s new ‘hashed keys’ feature promises free, unlimited, ripping of Ultra HD Blu-ray discs

Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV can open an UHD disc using a “friendly” drive, provided a decryption key is known for the disc. MakeMKV contains no AACS2.0 keys, so it requires a disc key to be supplied by the user. From the very first days of blu-ray the de-facto standard for blu-ray disc key management was libaacs KEYDB.cfg file format. MakeMKV (as many other applications) can read key files in that format to decrypt regular and UHD blu-ray discs. Unfortunately, when this file format was defined almost 10 years ago, assumptions were made about AACS system that are no longer valid today.

Starting from version 1.10.9 MakeMKV supports additional key format, called “hashed keys”. This format is superior to KEYDB.cfg file format, as entries are smaller, have integrity checking, much faster to verify and have few other good properties. The downside is that this file format is MakeMKV-specific, no other software can read files in this format so far. The same key can always be encoded as KEYDB.cfg key or as a hashed key, it is just that the latter is more efficient. Because both KEYDB.cfg and hashed keys are text files, the rules to use them are same – just download the relevant text file and put it into MakeMKV data directory. Having a disc key (encoded as KEYDB.cfg or as hashed key) allows one to open the corresponding UHD disc in MakeMKV.

Now, thanks to few heroic individuals and a big magic crystal ball, keys for some UHD discs are available. The keyfile can be downloaded at http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05962162787401969656 . This keyfile includes all doom9 UHD keys as well, so this is the one ultimate file you have to put into MakeMKV data directory. As a reminder, if a disk key is not known then protected disc will fail to open. MakeMKV will save a disc dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16959
JRiver CEO Elect

rec head

« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:52 am »

I have the flu and I'm a little cloudy on this. It won't be part of the MakeMKV download. We still need to download this new hashed key file every time new keys come out right?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2018, 02:28:34 pm »

Yes.  It's not hard, it's just a txt file. 
JRiver CEO Elect

rec head

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2018, 03:42:33 pm »

Ok, just making sure.

I ripped a few discs today with the latest version and the new hashed keys. I just can't get Wonder Woman to open.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2018, 04:27:54 pm »

Send in your logs to MakeMKV.  Apparently the turnaround is 24-hours

Edit - a new hashed key file seems to be posted daily
JRiver CEO Elect

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2018, 06:00:28 am »

One thing is not clear to me: how do I know what the firmware version of "friendly" optical reader is before buying it? If it's the next one, you can not go back right?

Ekpen

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2018, 10:31:56 am »

Ok, just making sure.

I ripped a few discs today with the latest version and the new hashed keys. I just can't get Wonder Woman to open.

Maybe the title in the volume key or hashed key not for your area.
I have no issues with wonder woman here. Ripped with an Asus BW-16D1HT. 3.00
Send your dump to Mike.
George

rec head

« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2018, 10:48:59 am »

A 3rd Wonder Woman key showed up in the latest hash file and it worked for me. I now have all of my UHD's ripped.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2018, 03:07:41 pm »

One thing is not clear to me: how do I know what the firmware version of "friendly" optical reader is before buying it? If it's the next one, you can not go back right?

If you are buying from a store you can have a look at the sticker on the drive itself which will normally tell you the firmware.  Otherwise, you are probably still safe for now as the newer firmware has only been posted online, I've not heard of anyone buying one with updated firmware pre-installed (but it will come).  There is also this discussion on how to downgrade the firmware.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2018, 02:49:43 pm »

Updated the OP.  The latest Beta of AnyDVD HD now also supports UHD directly (does not use the leaked VUK keys anymore).  As with the others, it appears to support most but not all discs.
JRiver CEO Elect

Z0001

« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2018, 05:32:58 am »

Is triple layer reading (if that's a thing) something to look out for on friendly drives or are they all capable?

Z0001

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2018, 01:03:07 pm »

I'm thinking of getting an Asus BW-16D1HT-PRO from Scorptec, as it's recommended as a friendly drive. The Asus website doesn't seem to say it will play a UHD disc, whereas some of the LG ones do. Am I missing something? Also wondering how to check firmware before buying (picture of label attached)

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:53 pm »

Should be good.  I don't know about the "Pro" designation.  I purchased my drives from Scorptech as well but went the LG as it was a bit cheaper (and it is the same drive that I've now cross flashed with the ASUS firmware).  Note: I've had one drive die already with errors reading discs.
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2018, 02:30:12 pm »

Huh, I thought the "Pro" designation was the external USB drive, as that's all I can seem to find here under that name.
I have a pair of the non-Pro ASUS drives on firmware 3.02 with AnyDVD and haven't run into any issues yet.
One of my drives is marked as having M-Disc support and the other is not, but I can't find any software which will verify whether or not the drive can burn to M-Discs.
My older Pioneer BDXL drive can't read the discs at all, just spins indefinitely and ejects when I try to access the drive in Windows.

Z0001

« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:34 pm »

Should be good.  I don't know about the "Pro" designation.  I purchased my drives from Scorptech as well but went the LG as it was a bit cheaper (and it is the same drive that I've now cross flashed with the ASUS firmware).  Note: I've had one drive die already with errors reading discs.

Thanks for that. Looks like an October 17 drive so hoping that's old enough for older firmware (I've read the flashing instructions and wouldn't know quite what I'm doing!). The irony is I have this drive already but from way back (2013 maybe) and it does not recognise UHD.

Will this PRO one read triple layer discs do you think?

Cheers
Z

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2018, 06:18:15 pm »

It's Oct 2017 so you are all good to go on the firmware side.  I've had no issues with reading UHD 100GB discs
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2018, 07:11:32 pm »

I have this drive already but from way back (2013 maybe) and it does not recognise UHD.
Have you tried updating its firmware?
This is Firmware 3.02 (MD5: 2b0cb8a7631618511d8ab101d9ab845e ) which is the latest working version.

Will this PRO one read triple layer discs do you think?
The non-Pro reads them too.

Z0001

« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2018, 11:15:02 pm »

Have you tried updating its firmware?
This is Firmware 3.02 (MD5: 2b0cb8a7631618511d8ab101d9ab845e ) which is the latest working version.
The non-Pro reads them too.

I assumed my drive was old and different hardware. But I should try. Is upgrading the firmware easy? Not done that before. Will it load on to the drive?

Really really appreciate your help.
Z

RD James

« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2018, 11:31:10 pm »

I assumed my drive was old and different hardware. But I should try. Is upgrading the firmware easy? Not done that before. Will it load on to the drive?
If it's the same model, it should work. There should be protections in place to prevent you flashing it to an incompatible drive.
It's shockingly easy actually. Run the program and select a drive, it ejects the tray and updates in a matter of seconds. Didn't even require admin permissions.

Z0001

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:25 am »

I have tried your file and the 3.02 on the Asus website. each time it says my drive is up to date - but clearly there is a prob as it wont recognise the disc.  think i'll have to buy one!

thanks for trying to help
Z

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2018, 05:09:37 pm »

Thanks for all the good information here. I just picked up a couple friendly drives and my first 4k disc. It was simple to rip using MakeMKV.

Ssa1978

• Recent member
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2018, 01:30:16 pm »

Hey guys

I’ve updated MC to the latest LAV Nightly buy downloading and installing to support UMD playback but I’m still not able to play any. Is there any setting that I need to change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2018, 01:34:10 pm »

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2018, 01:35:20 pm »

Couple of Q (check the OP):
- Is the UHD unencrupted?
- Did you update the copy of lav in MC's directory?
- What msg do you get in MC?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2018, 01:36:33 pm »

...also this manual update will not be needed in MC24 as it will ship with the latest version of LAV
JRiver CEO Elect

Ssa1978

• Recent member
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2018, 01:41:40 pm »

Couple of Q (check the OP):
- Is the UHD unencrupted?
- Did you update the copy of lave in MC's directory?
- What msg do you get in MC?

-Yes it’s unencrupted
-No I haven’t updated the copy in MC directory. How do I do this?
- “Something went wrong with playback” is the error message

Thank you

Ssa1978

• Recent member
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2018, 01:46:36 pm »

Did you read the first post here?
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112653.0.html

Yup. I’m only having issues with playback.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »

MC's private copy of LAV is in "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Plugins\lav64" (or just "\lav" if you are using the 32-Bit version of MC).

Copy the contents from the 32 or 64 bit folder from where you installed LAV into the one above.  You should be good to go at that point.
JRiver CEO Elect

Ssa1978

• Recent member
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2018, 11:30:07 pm »

MC's private copy of LAV is in "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Plugins\lav64" (or just "\lav" if you are using the 32-Bit version of MC).

Copy the contents from the 32 or 64 bit folder from where you installed LAV into the one above.  You should be good to go at that point.

Thank you sooooooooooooo much. It’s working perfectly now. :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2018, 12:25:45 am »

It's pretty good!  UHD BD that looks better than a stand alone player :)
JRiver CEO Elect

Z0001

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2018, 12:43:04 am »

Sorry, can you clarify please? Do we need to install MC24, copy the contents of ...\lav64 or ...\lav and paste into MC23? Where else do I get LAV?

Thanks
Z
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up