INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to Next?  (Read 18350 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Re: Where to Next?
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 08:57:03 pm »

An MC app for Android devices would make me VERY happy indeed.  ;D ;D ;D

I agree 100%.  I think this is a much needed app and limits the use of MC on any new devices that are attached to TV's.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 09:06:08 pm »

I use MC mostly for video.

I think MC requires a much needed facelift. It works great and I use it constantly but eyecandy is needed.

I would almost love to see the PLEX face on MC.  Plex is beautiful but is very limited especially in terms of file naming.

A modern facelift a la Plex would bring MC to the masses.

my 2 cents.

Also, choices for music look up.  I find YADB to be almost useless for much of my music.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:30 am »

Also, choices for music look up.  I find YADB to be almost useless for much of my music.
Could you start a topic on this with some details about what isn't working?  I know that classical music is often a problem but that's related to how differently people tag the files.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:04 am »

I agree 100%.  I think this is a much needed app and limits the use of MC on any new devices that are attached to TV's.
Have you tried Panel?

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 08:52:23 am »

I would like to be able to access the whole interface with a web browser. I find quite cumbersome the need to connect to the PC. I do realize the amount of work it would be.
As far as video is concerned, I'm using plex on nvidia shield Pro and stream anywhere I want including in a large theater room (4K). Ease of use is incomparable, I never saw any difference in terms of quality with JRiver or the original discs. On the other hand I'm a strong supporter of JRiver the audio part.
Have ever thought to support AoIP standards, like Dante?
I just don't see the strategy when JRiver is developing automation (zwave). To me it is a waste of energy, you will never achieve what others did in this area. I'm using a large customized Domoticz installation.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »

Have you tried Panel?

Yes. There's quite a difference between Panel and what an Android Client App could/should be. The main difference being load on the Server. An android app could/should act exactly like a MC Client, no transcoding needed. Just stream the content over the network to the device without using any of the Server's CPU.

Fully functional generic android client that looks and acts like Windows Theaterview (with TV/Video/Audio/cover art, the whole deal).
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Ripman

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:18 pm »

Sharing content is illegal - no doubt about that.

Sharing checksums and hashes isn’t illegal, though. It could be a cool way to verify sacd iso’s, cd images with cue sheets, hdtracks downloads, m2ts, Mkv from bd/dvd source, etc.

Not much $$$ topside here, sadly. (Not at least until you become the quasi-content clearinghouse of the web.) But it would definitely be a great feature.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2017, 01:29:53 am »

I think that JRiver has achieved remarkable things over the years.
One huge area where it is confounding many users is on the interface. More of my customers are considering Roon, even though every computer we sell comes with JRiver installed and included in the price. A major interface overhaul would be a huge deal for existing and potential customers.

Common complaints:
The options are spread out all over the place - some need you to go to Options, and others you access from the top menu. I am used to it, and rarely do I get frustrated. But when I have to help a customer, I see how daunting it is for the new user. I appreciate all the customisation we can do. The typical "audiophile" we serve just wants one of about three or four views in standard view and wants to know exactly where to go to change the most often used settings. For example, import configurations are all under a section called Library and Folders in options, but I think Import Settings is important enough to have a whole section named after it. I know one can search in options, but that kind of misses the point that the users do not want to have to do that except occasionally.
I would like to see "where next?" be a professional reassessment of the interface, which will retain the current power and customisation of the program, but organise it in a more logical and appealing way. It's not a one hour project, or even a one month project. I often get the nagging feeling that one day JRiver will have to temporarily stop adding features and work on some intelligent design from scratch, rather than the evolution we've seen for a long time. Panel was not the answer, and I think many of us were expecting it to be quite different to what it turned out to be. I don't use it, but I do appreciate that it cold be just right for many. I bet it's never a good time to stop development and work on interface, because it would likely need a whole development cycle. However, my intuition tells me that such an update would sell. I love the program and what it can do, and will continue to support it, but I'd like to be able to continue to buy my one master upgrade licence per year - and up to 30-50 others for my new customers.

Another big deal is Tidal. I know, I know. However, I saw recently that Sonic Studios is making an Amarra product for Windows. Here is what I noticed when I tried it:

- It's a huge rip off of the JRiver MC interface
- It incorporates Tidal, even though their interface is a rip-off of yours
- It's a horrible program that just doesn't work on Windows

Given the first two points, could there be a possibility the Tidal people would be less adamant about their interface requirements now, compared to when JRiver and Tidal were in talks?

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2017, 02:44:58 am »

One huge area where it is confounding many users is on the interface. More of my customers are considering Roon, even though every computer we sell comes with JRiver installed and included in the price. A major interface overhaul would be a huge deal for existing and potential customers.
I support this position, and when I said that I'd like to access server interface from a Web browser, I meant what fitbrit said as well. I designed and developed a software interface in the past, and I know how much work it is, but I know how much exciting it is as well, for the benefit of customers.
As for Tidal, I'm not a user, I have been using Qobuz for several years. Even if I would love to have it integrated with JRiver, I found a way to play it quite conviniently: BubbleUpnp server (making MC an openhome renderer) and Linn Kazoo controller that allow to access MC library and Qobuz within the same interface (both free of charge). So I don't use anymore jremote which seems to have stopped development.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2017, 02:59:07 am »

fitbit,
I started a thread here, partially in response to your post:

Why JRiver Doesn't Implement Some Popular Requests

I'm going to close this one now.  It's an old thread that someone dug up recently.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up