INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing MP3 Gain for External Players  (Read 1023 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Replacing MP3 Gain for External Players
« on: October 22, 2017, 07:16:46 pm »

I have historically used MP3 Gain on my many MP3 files because it is recognized and used by most external MP3 players, including JRiver, Ipods, and Iphones, etc.  I use external players a lot to play JRiver mp3 files so I want normalization.   I know JRiver has a better approach, but I am not aware that it stores normalization settings in a way that can be used by other player programs, particularly the Ipod/Iphone.    Am I missing something.  Does anyone have a better suggestion.
John

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replacing MP3 Gain for External Players
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:38:48 am »

If your library consists of lossless files, you can apply Volume Leveling DSP on conversion to lossy files for your portable device, which encodes them at a normalized volume level. Track-based leveling is used.
There's no MP3Gain integration that I'm aware of, so if you're transferring MP3s they must go through a second lossy conversion stage if you want JRiver to handle volume leveling.
MP3Gain is unique in that its volume adjustment does not re-encode the files.

Apparently the "export to iPhone" option in JRiver will write iTunNORM tags, but third-party programs cannot transfer music to iOS devices any more.
JRiver has never given an explanation why the program does this, but will not write iTunNORM tags at the same time as writing ReplayGain or R128 tags to tracks.
That said, I'm not sure that iOS devices even use iTunNORM tags for volume leveling any more.
There is still a SoundCheck option, but I don't know how it works - whether it looks at ReplayGain tags now, or uses something else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up