INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REQUEST: Option to disable Slide Show  (Read 1656 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
REQUEST: Option to disable Slide Show
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:50:55 pm »

It's driving me crazy. I use MC to organize and tag my ever-growing slide show. But when I open an image full-screen to examine some small aspect, MC thinks I want a slide show. Just as I'm focusing on something, bam, it's gone, next picture now on-screen.

While I have no need for it, it's nice to have a slide show feature. But it should be an option. Default to ON if desired, but allow it to be disabled.

The workaround is to set Slideshow Duration to a long time (it seems to accept a max time of 24:00:00, which I assume is 24 hours (no Duration unit of measure is stated). OK, that's a workaround, but Slideshow begs for an explicit option to disable. I tried entering 0 hoping that would do it, but it forces the smallest time increment to be 1 (second).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: REQUEST: Option to disable Slide Show
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:54:13 pm »

You can stop the slideshow with the space bar or by pressing pause or by using the left or right arrow keys.  As soon as you start to control playback, the slideshow is paused.

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 04:11:55 pm »

Yes, but... I realize the Slide Show is active when it suddenly changes the photo I am examining. I know how to stop it, and then go back, but I've lost the zoom, my focus on the aspect I was examining, my train of thought.

There are reasons to open an image full-screen, such seeing it big, zooming, scrolling, or just plain staring at it. Doing this does not consistently mean immediate slide-show behavior is desired. Stopping it after-the-fact just begs the question, why not provide an option to disable\enable it?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Oogi

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 12:19:01 pm »

I join the request.

I never wanted it to start slideshow in any older version.
Thanks

Uri

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:26:08 pm »

If you pick an image and do right-click > Play, it won't start the slideshow.  It's only a double-click that will take the entire set.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:30:48 pm »

Thanks Matt, but the request is to "permanently" disable slideshow functionality, so it never starts on its own. Because currently, it is whack-a-mole, not remembering to use a disable or "don't play" trick until the current image suddenly changes, losing my place and concentration.

The justification for controlling slideshow as an app-wide option is that MC is so incredibly useful for managing photos, organizing, tagging, captioning, etc. None of that work involves a slideshow mode. It simply needs to be a toggle option at the app (or maybe library) level.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:45:27 pm »

Next build we'll try this:
NEW: Added the option Images > Automatically start slideshows.  It can be disabled so that the program won't start a slideshow when you double-click an image.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up