INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.206 beta  (Read 4901 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.206 beta
« on: June 25, 2003, 02:23:16 pm »

Please read VERY carefully. This is a BETA version of 9.1.  If you expect things to work, please download the latest 9.0 build from this thread:    

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=di splay;num=1054751628

but if you're patient and willing to help us work out some of the bugs, you can download 9.1 here (recommended for experts only):    

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91206.exe

(backup your library before installing)  

Please report any 9.1 problems in this thread.  Keep a list of problems and if they aren't fixed in the next build, please post the list again.    

History    

1. Changed: Using new thumbnail storage scheme to help speed with large libraries. (note: thumbnails will be erased and rebuilt after upgrade)
2. Fixed: MC could crash if it was sized too small.
3. Fixed: Toolbar customization could crash.
4. Fixed: The tree couldn't be locked left with zero width.
5. Changed: Left / Right keyboard buttons work to navigate in pane browsing mode.
6. Changed: Toolbars display tooltips more quickly.
7. Fixed: Customizing toolbars would show the wrong image list in some cases.
8. Changed: "Quick Tag" mode always shows tags, but warns if one is clicked with no files selected.
9. NEW: Added Playing Now "Remove Duplicates" command. (list and tree right-click)
10. Changed: "Add View Scheme" menu not shown when right-clicking on an existing view scheme.
11. Fixed: Switching the playing track would cause too aggressive of an update in Playing Now -- discarding sorting and selection.
12. Fixed: Date elapsed type fields weren't working properly in smartlists.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re: Media Center 9.1.206 beta
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 02:31:21 pm »

I had 2 view schemes:

- Genre (for Audio)
- Genre (for Images)

Because they have the same name, with this built the schemes are the same, no difference anymore between audio & images if creating view schemes with the same name
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 02:35:05 pm »

•  Can we have a way to remove <click to add view>?  It is a waste of screen resources in the left pane for me.
  •  Can you make Quick Tag an available icon for the other toolbars ?  
  •  BUG - Can we get functionality to view "underlying" Playlists in the new vew panes ... currently I can only select the main branch of each playlist group .. no Smartlists?
  •  Can I get the ability to move the Properties pane to the right side of the screen?
  •  BUG - Your new search wizard icon (little down arrow) is overlapping the text in the search windows

NoCodeUK

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 02:44:39 pm »

First reported: 23/06/03
Ststus: Open
Visualizations appear to pause for 1/2 a second every 5 seconds.  Happens on all visuals inc. 3d

First Reported: 16/06/03    
5-10 second lag when playing first track.  This only happens with the first track after MC has started. Still there for music files.  Not for image playback    

First Reported: 16/06/03    
Clicking on taskbar icon does not minimize/restore. This is standard windows behaviour    

First Reported: 18/06/03    
There is no longer a button in props to apply changes.  You can click to a new item but this isn't as elegant as it was with a button  

Ststus: Fixed
List styles can no longer be changed in either tree view or panes view.  Stuck on automatic.  

(This is fixed although changing a list style still resetes the panes.  Any chance that this could not happen?)

Album Thumbnails - Still sorting according to artist rather than album artist and alphabetically.  Now we have Template based fields any chance we could use one of these to sort the album thumbs eg. Album Artist - Year - Album but MC still displays just Album title...

Some view schemes are resetting right most panes when something in a pane to the left is cahnged.  Unfortunately the one I want this behaviour to happen in it does not ;D  What controls this?  Can this be forced on a per view scheme basis??  The scheme in question is number based but the numbers do not directly corellate.  This worked okay 2 or 3 builds ago but not in the last 2 builds.

EDIT: I think I realised what is governing this.  if MC thinks there is not a corresponding tag in the right column after the left hand column has changed it resets.  However in the case of my series/series #/Episode # column it thinks there is a corresponding tag so does not reset the episode # pane.  For this scheme this is wrong as the episodes in each series are actually referring to different entities and do not directly correspond.  Hope this makes sense...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 02:57:12 pm »

When I click on Search, then choose Album or Artist MC crashes every time. Can choose rating and it works OK.

Library is slower to load in this build - about 12 seconds where it usually is about 2 or 3 seconds. (17,000 files)

Holden

Media Center Registered 9.1.206 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Me
Intel Pentium 4 1494 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 256 MB
Resource Info: System - 57 %, GDI - 78 %, User - 57 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive H: MATSHITA CD-RW  CW-7586     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
...happy to be among such a great bunch of members. Holden

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • That's all I have to say about that...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 03:03:29 pm »

Okay... after playing with this a bit I have to admit, the tree doesn't get in the way. (I just don't click the plus.)

Still, can we have view-specific options?
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

MachineHead

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 03:17:30 pm »

Hard Disk Location isn't playing nice.

If you click the H.D.L. on the tree side of things and jump over to the panes to select an album it will not show files, unless you select <all>. Shouldn't this show files if there is more then one album by an artist and you selected the album instead of all?

221bBS

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 03:51:56 pm »

While using list-type field, I can't seem to use the grouping level feature in the column properties. Well I can use it but it does nothing.

Could Artist possibly be made a list type field?  Or at least have the option that it could be changed to one if someone wanted??

Adam

This would be nice to have also

Daniel_Paula

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 04:46:10 pm »

Since 9.1.205 beta and now with 9.1.206 beta , time-shifting is not working . I'm getting the following error message: "BuildTimeShiftingGraph failed. Cannot render video capture stream" .

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 05:19:54 pm »

It's nice that the trees don't automatically open.  Can you save the tree view on exit?

Can you raise CD and Handheld Device to the top level of the tree?  They're pretty important.

What is that Edit icon in the Location Bar?

RemyJ

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 05:21:55 pm »

• New - Date Opened: 2003/06/25  Priority: High
    Location based view schemes are broken in the new browsing method.  The lowest level directories don't show their contents.  Works from the tree.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/23  Priority: High
    Switching libraries usually causes MC to crash

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/19  Priority: High
    Double clicking on entries in the view lists does a 'Play' removing the existing entries instead of respecting the setting in General, Behavior.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/17  Priority: High
    Changing view between details and thumbnails resets the selection listboxes to '<all>'.  In the case of location based views, the view is reseet to the root.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/16  Priority: High
    'Recently Playing Now's' are multiplying like rabbits and they confuse the drop target.  Update: They're not confusing the drop target anymore but they're still multiplying.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/23  Priority: Medium
    Can't import m3/mpl playlists.  The import dialog box comes reports 1 files scanned but 0 imported.  They play fine.  

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/18  Priority: Medium
    If you do a 'Make all views like current' views that aren't even in the current library are reset.  OK, I know it does say 'all' but even views that aren't even in the current tree?

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/16  Priority: Medium
    If you rename a standard column the change isn't propogated to the new listbox column headers or selection menus.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/16  Priority: Medium
    View Filter button doesn't save its state.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/18  Priority: Low
    View schemes based on location don't work via Media Server.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 05:48:59 pm »

The horizontal scrollbars on Smartlists seem to still be missing.

I've also found that if you expand the video window and then re-dock it into the Media Center, it leaves "Media Center Display" in the taskbar.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 07:18:05 pm »

I have strong good feeling about this last built. (I haven't looked at 205). I liked the absent file indicator and the new toolbar with mode switch. very intutive simple and useful design.

SUGGESTION:
How about adding a right click menu, to make network files viewable offline in a portable computer. Right click, make offline viewable and go working at a caffee house while listening your todays favorites. With the new absent file marker , this will makes even more sense then ever.

Windows already has all the mechanisms. Currently, I use right click, locate external folder, right click files, make available offline, nasty.

I bet a wise programmer can do this with a few lines of code.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2003, 07:22:09 pm »

I understand that selecting from panes with a large number of values may be difficult. How about this: If you enter the letter, you would go to the values that start with that letter; similar to file navigation in an explorer folder.

Timmy_Yak

• Recent member
  • I am a Sexy Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2003, 07:46:07 pm »

Sorry the only thing I got is another task bar issue.

If you minimize and then maximize the window, the task bar does not pop back up.

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2003, 07:56:52 pm »

In the Album, Artist, Genre View, after selecting the Album the scrollbars for Artist and Genre disappear. This has existed in the last few betas.

The List Style button on the bottom toolbar resets the panes, it should allow changing of views without resetting the panes.

There should also be a pane reset feature.

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2003, 08:30:22 pm »

Great work...the panes are an excellent improvement.  I've been trying all the various builds, and managed to collect a few thoughts:

- Using a View Scheme based on Hard Disk location and using the panes, I am not able to see files in a subfolder that doesn't have any subfolders.  It lists all of the folders at the current level, but unless a folder has subfolders, it doesn't appear with a folder icon.  Selecting it or trying to double click it doesn't show anything.

For example, I have files organized by artist\album.  Some artists don't have album subfolders, but just some mp3s in it.  Those files can't be seen when using the panes.  If I use the tree, it displays the files properly and every folder has a folder icon.

- Like many others, I find the pane resetting when changing views to be one of the biggest deterrents of using it.  I often like to traverse showing album thumbnails and then when I've narrowed it down, switch to details mode to see the actual files.  The pane resetting prevents this.  When using the back/forward navigation, it should also remember the selected panes.

- Along those lines, I've always wondered if there was a way I could double click (or right click some option) on an album cover to have it bring up all of the files for that album in details mode.   That would allow you to navigate the album covers like folders.   Perhaps this could be added as an option to the double-click settings and/or added as a right click option.  Essentially with an album cover selected, you would then filter the list to just that album and switch to details (or thumbnail files) mode.   This isn't possible currently, right?

- As mentioned above, the album thumbnail sorting should be looked into again with 9.1  -- the current implementation falls short for compliation albums having multiple artists.  I had suggested using the actual Album Artist field, since that would allow everyone flexibiltiy in how it shows depending how you fill in the field.  There was a separate thread for this, but it got dropped as the release of 9.0 drew close.  

Marko

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2003, 11:43:40 pm »

BUG
Playlist based view schemes are not working for smartlists. They do seem to be working with regular playlists.

nila

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2003, 11:56:56 pm »

• Changing between view schemes is still SLOW and has a big lagg.

• View Scheme Groups are NEEDED

I already have 11 view schemes and this isn't including ANY for tasks yet ( I had to rebuild my library and view schemes two days ago).

It's not a case of too many view schemes - they are all carefully thought out and planned.

I plan to create AT LEAST another 3 or 4 purely for tasks and so this means I'm going to have around 15 view schemes - I want to be able to group them.

please, please, please give us back view scheme groups.

nila

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2003, 01:40:15 am »

BUG
  • Properties pane is not updating if new fields are created, list values are edited etc. It has to be closed and re-opened for it to update.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2003, 01:40:39 am »

Bug:
In Media Liberary/Hard Disk Location Clicking on the folders doesn't get media file in the files section.
Tamer

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2003, 02:49:49 am »

• New - Date Opened: 2003/06/26  Priority: High
    Browse by Locations doesn&#8217;t work correctly. If I browse to a folder containing sub-folders I am only able to see tracks if I select <all>. If I select a sub-folder no tracks are displayed and I am unable to browse into the sub-folder.

• Fixed - Date Opened: 2003/06/25  Priority: High
    When you click on the Portable Drives plugin you get an error message saying 'Cannot create plug-in 'Portable Drives''. When you try to install the 9.0.33 plugin you get the error message 'Failed to install package. More info: Failed to register object. C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Plugins\hh_portable.dll. URL: http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/hh_ipod.zip.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/25  Priority: Low
    Surfin' Juke appears on the task bar icon for the Confirm Action, Downloading plugin and Information dialogs.

The Month and Date are not read from images where the EXIF date is set to 2002:01:01 00:00:00. The Date(month) and Date(day) are both listed as unassigned. This date was set on a number of photos from a colleague's camera where he had changed the battery and forgot to set the clock. Update: MC9.1 incorrectly displays the EXIF date in the Format window as 2002 when other software correctly reports it as 2002:01:01 00:00:00.

When you first view the Extended file info only Album Artist, Composer, Image File, Keywords, Lyrics and Notes are displayed. You can only get the other Extended fields to appear by changing the bottom left pane to a different view then back to File Info.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/18  Priority: High
    When you add a new value to a tag using the File Info pane, the top pane does not update to show that value. For example, I added Phil in the People field and this did not automatically appear in the People column. I had to switch to a different view scheme and go back to the original view scheme for the update to be displayed.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2003, 03:10:39 am »

Since 9.1.205 beta and now with 9.1.206 beta , time-shifting is not working . I'm getting the following error message: "BuildTimeShiftingGraph failed. Cannot render video capture stream" .

There has been no change in TV code at all since 9.1.201. Have you made any settings change? In particular, did you change Color Space format?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2003, 06:56:27 am »

Has the ability to have duplicate songs in a playlist been restored? If not, mine does. If it has, an option button somewhere would really help prevent unintentional duplication.

When synching files to my iPod (20gig gen2), the visual commencement of the synching process has gone from a couple of seconds to more than 10 seconds.

Media Center Registered 9.1.206 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 2408 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 199 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINNT\Media\chimes.wav

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-48125W         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Thank you,

John

LisaRCT

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2003, 06:58:02 am »

regarding MC9 and performance,
speed seems down recently, but perhaps just me?

anywho, performance question:

can file encoding/conversion be made to have adjustable priority?
I often use dB Poweramp Music Converter which allows each instance to be tuned for priority in the conversion window and on-the-fly.  
This has been very useful, when I wish to use my PC during conversions. If it is in use and I do not wish it to  come to a crawl, I simply choose 'Below Average', 'Low', or 'Idle' priotity, if I wander off I can change it to 'Normal' or 'Above Normal' to speed things up a bit.

thought it might help in MC for some operations

echerna

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2003, 07:39:48 am »

I have had problems with all versions of Media Center 9.  It will startup and run fine after installation, but when I try and run it again, it just crashes within 15 seconds with no error messages.

This new beta version now gives me a "Media Core" error message when I try and start the program (the program ran fine the first time after installion.  Now I receive the error everytime I start the program.)

I am using Windows XP Professional with the service pack update.

I would like to email someone the file that was created with the error information.  It is too long to include here.  Please let me know who I can email it to.

Thanks

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2003, 12:34:54 pm »

Ststus: Open
Visualizations appear to pause for 1/2 a second every 5 seconds.  Happens on all visuals inc. 3d

I saw this happening as well, but for me, it happened every 2-3 seconds.

After I disabled Norton Anti-Virus auto-protect, the delays seemed to vanish.  Are you using Norton or some other anti-virus software?  Perhaps some other background task such as a monitoring tool or defrag utilty? Connection detection? SETI? (When SETI's in the foreground, the visual gets reduced to a crawl).

NoCodeUK

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2003, 01:28:38 pm »

The only thing I can thik of is that it is my Firewall (Black ICE) but I never noticed this until the last 2 or 3 builds.  I will try disabling it and see what happens...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up