INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 31169 times)

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
Re: IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2003, 05:48:31 am »

CautionESPN,

Read my (and others) post above.  The new plugin doesn't work.  Read my post about downloading old plugin from my FTP site to get MC to work w/ iPod until SteveG can post new plugin.

Wobbley

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2003, 07:46:57 am »

ahhh ok sorry...i actually can't believe i did that...that's a big pet peeve of mine when people jump into a discussion without reading what has happened earlier.  Thanks for the info.

Chris M

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2003, 08:17:04 am »

EVERYONE,

The link on the webpage for the plugin got screwed up last night. Sorry. Please get 9.0.33 from the Plugin page and all should now be better. The next version of MC tonight will also resolve this.

Thanks.

Steve

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2003, 08:24:56 am »

played around with my [wiPod Drive] - there are quite som interesting files hidden in \iPod_Control\iTunes
- Has anyone tried to compare the content of theese files for a win and a Mac version ??

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2003, 08:34:25 am »

ugilt:

I think you may have made a assumption from Kurt's post.  So, to alleviate confusion, here is the environment we are forced to live in today:

MiPod: All features enabled, only tool available to upload tunes w/is iTunes which only runs on Macs

WiPod: Playcounts/Last Played disabled, or more correctly stated, forced to be not accessible.  No company can make use of the data

Solution: we have to wait (and hope) that with the release of iTunes for Windows (by the end of the year supposedly, but I wouldn't hold my breath), that they enable these features so Stevo and the guys at JRiver can finally make use of them.

So, to make a long story short, while yes you can convert your WiPod to a MiPod, you'd no longer be able to use it w/MC9.  You'd have to switch to Xplay or ephpod w/Macopener, neither of which are built to support playcounts or even to support Media Libaries for that matter, they are a different type of program.

Hope that clears things up.

Steve: please don't forget about my Smartlist syncing issue (it's on the previous page)  :D

Adam

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2003, 08:47:37 am »

thx.
Got a much better understanding now. Not that I like it, but I'm quite sure neither of us does!

I'll hold my breath - and fingers crossed  8)

SteveG

« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2003, 09:20:08 am »

ugilt,

you now have an wiPOd with 3 play list so my conclusion is that when syncing you are just populating the playlist in MC to the iPod. You should either
1. Delete ALL playlist on iPod before sync'ing or
2. Compare name on all iPod playlist and delete them if not in MC anymore

Delete files not in synch will accomplish this. When this is enabled, your iPod will end up looking just like the playlsits you have selected. Any Playlists that are not selected or are empty, will be removed.

Adam,

Now that .205 has a working plugin, please retest your issue and let me know if it is not resolved.

Everyone,

In regards to the registry setting for the iPod manager 'Select startup App', whenever the new Plugin runs, it creates a registry entry "7" which is the listing for MC.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2003, 09:52:28 am »

ugilt,

Delete files not in synch will accomplish this. When this is enabled, your iPod will end up looking just like the playlsits you have selected. Any Playlists that are not selected or are empty, will be removed.

Adam,

Now that .205 has a working plugin, please retest your issue and let me know if it is not resolved.

Everyone,

In regards to the registry setting for the iPod manager 'Select startup App', whenever the new Plugin runs, it creates a registry entry "7" which is the listing for MC.

Steve, the corrected plugin is working fine now. As for the registry entry, MC creates it on my PC but the iPod Manager doesn't list MC as a registered application even after rebooting my PC. The exported registry key is as follows:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc.\iPod\RegisteredApps\7]
"cmdline"=""
"name"="Media Center 9"
"path"="C:\\Program Files\\J River\\Media Center\\Media Jukebox.exe"

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2003, 11:41:23 am »

ugilt:

I think you may have made a assumption from Kurt's post.  So, to alleviate confusion, here is the environment we are forced to live in today:

MiPod: All features enabled, only tool available to upload tunes w/is iTunes which only runs on Macs

WiPod: Playcounts/Last Played disabled, or more correctly stated, forced to be not accessible.  No company can make use of the data

Solution: we have to wait (and hope) that with the release of iTunes for Windows (by the end of the year supposedly, but I wouldn't hold my breath), that they enable these features so Stevo and the guys at JRiver can finally make use of them.

So, to make a long story short, while yes you can convert your WiPod to a MiPod, you'd no longer be able to use it w/MC9.  You'd have to switch to Xplay or ephpod w/Macopener, neither of which are built to support playcounts or even to support Media Libaries for that matter, they are a different type of program.

Hope that clears things up.

Steve: please don't forget about my Smartlist syncing issue (it's on the previous page)  :D

Adam

Sounds illegal to me.  This is what MS was beat up for - not disclosing OS information and capabilities to give their own apps a competitive advantage.

Wobbley

• World Citizen
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2003, 12:07:51 pm »

Phil Lee,

You say your registry has the following entry:

"cmdline"=""
"name"="Media Center 9"

[/quote]

Change the path string (right-click, "modify") so that there are single slashes instead of double slashes, so it should be:

"path"="C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Media Jukebox.exe"

That should do it.

Wobbley

dbattan

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2003, 01:40:24 pm »

I just loaded 2.0.1. onto my 30 GB pod and now MC9 crashes everytime I click on the pod in the tree view.

I just downloaded at 5:30 pm the new ipod plug in but it still crashes every time.  

Help!

SteveG

« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2003, 01:56:47 pm »

dbattan,

The installation of 2.0.1 should be irrelevant. What version of MC do you have installed?  IIt sounds like your database has gotten corrupted.  If you are experiencing crashes and don't care if you lose your data on iPod, right click and select 'Format' and you should be all set. Before you do this, if you could email me a copy of your iTunesDB file from your iPod (iPod_Control\ iTunesDB), it would help me remove the crash.  

Thanks,

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2003, 03:41:28 pm »

Phil Lee,

You say your registry has the following entry:

"cmdline"=""
"name"="Media Center 9"
Change the path string (right-click, "modify") so that there are single slashes instead of double slashes, so it should be:

"path"="C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Media Jukebox.exe"

That should do it.

Wobbley

The actual registry key already has single back slashes in it. I copied the key and pasted it into the browser to show exactly what is stored. When you do this you get double back slashes. I am therefore still not able to get MC to autorun using the iPod Manager since there is no entry for the program. Of course this could alsl be related to me using a gen 2 iPod.

Wobbley

• World Citizen
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2003, 05:15:06 pm »

Phil Lee,

DQMOT, but I believe it's because you're using a 2Gen iPod.

Wobbley

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2003, 05:27:33 pm »

Steve:

Nope, .206 didn't fix my little smarlist syncing problem.  I started out with a freshly restored iPod too, just to make things clean.

To reproduce:

1. Create Smartlist A.  Give it a rule where it has 2  Albums on it (or Artists, that's what I did, makes no difference).

2. Create Smartlist B.  The rule for this one is:

Playlist="Smartlist A" Limit="5", Sort="Random"

3. Sync Smartlists A & B

4. Disconnect from iPod.  Check out the Smartlist B.  Note the songs on it.

5. Reconnect and w/o touching the smartlists in MC9, just do a re-sycn.  Disconnect.  Check Smartlist B again.  It should have been refreshed w/new songs and a new random order.  It's not for me.

I also noticed that it didn't limit to 5 songs.  It had 10 songs on the second sync, 15 on the 3rd etc.  The old Playlist information doesn't look like it's getting deleted.

I now have a bigger problem though.  I experienced the same problem as the previous poster.  Clicking on the iPod drive would crash MC9, actually it would just hang.  Couldn't even shut down my PC properly.

I did another restore, could get it to access it all right, but then I got a BSOD after transferring some files.  Tried again and MC9 just hang after 20 files or so.

Going back to .180 to see how that works.

Adam

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2003, 12:36:32 am »

Request: Transcoding - delay all error messages to the end of the transfer process.  Write error messages to a text file.

Reason: Initial sync to the iPod can take a very long time if MC has to transcode a lot of files.  Popping up error messages during the process makes it difficult to run this unattended.

Background: Transcoding from APE takes a lot of time - about a minute per track if I use VBR, less if I use CBR - and I have over 2000 APE tracks.  For the initial sync to the iPod, I therefore need to leave the process running unattended.

Unfortunately if there are error messages, they seem to appear either after every batch of 10 (which is what happened for the file format not supported errors I was seeing on earlier plugin versions) or after each attempted transcode (which is what I've had on a couple of tracks where the transcoding fails).

If you could change this so that the plugin stores up all of the errors for the end of the sync process, it would allow unattended syncs.  If there are a number of errors, writing them to a text file would make it easier to track down the problems.

_K_C_

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2003, 07:05:38 am »

Help!

I have a case of the "missing artists." I synched last night v206 and 33. I checked my iPod (20gig) and saw that all artist names were missing.

I reformatted the iPod, and resynched -- all artist names still missing.

When looking at the iPod directory in the explorer pane I see:

1. All songs in the playlist are listed in alphabetical order and not in list order.

2. There are File icons with red "x"s in them in the genre field, although the genre field works on the iPod.

Any ideas on how to correct this?? I have to play music for a 3 hour gig tonight and this is starting the day "all wrong."

If I need to reformat again, I need a "heads up" ASAP. Anyone's help will really be appreciated.

Thank, John

System Info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.206 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 2408 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 199 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINNT\Media\chimes.wav

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-48125W         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Thank you,

John

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2003, 07:17:39 am »

Postscript to the previous post:

To paraphrase a song, "Where has all the replay gain gone?"

I just played the synching "results" from the above problem and the replay gain has dropped significantly. I don't have any instruments to measure, however, I compared the same song on my girlfriend's 20 gig iPod. I had both iPod's running at max volume and mine sounds only about "80%" as loud as hers. I did this for several songs and the results were the same across the board.

What's up? And how is this one fixed?

Thank you.

John
Thank you,

John

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2003, 07:52:53 am »

For the missing artists problem, you need to look at the menu when you right click on the ipod icon in MC.  There was a change (look further up this thread) allowing one of three different MC fields to be exported as the Artist field on the ipod.

From memory these are Artist, AlbumArtist and AlbumArtist(auto).  You need to make sure that the appropriate one is selected for your files.

I transcoded a load of ape files without realising this and then wondered what had happened to all of the artist tags  :)

SteveG

« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2003, 08:09:19 am »

Phil,

Try deleting the '7' registry key and then connect to your iPod using MC. MC will create the appropriate key and it should show up in iPod Manager.

Adam,

I replicated your problem and will fix it.

_K_C,

This is a good suggestion I will incorporate it.

Canaro,

_K_C's advice on the 'Artist' field is on the money (thanks kc). The red x file icons are a new MC feature to show that files are missing. I am not sure it is working correctly.

In regards to the 'Replay Gain',  are you playing these files on the iPod or from MC?  iPod has no clue about Replay Gain. That data is stored in the id3 v2 tag info and may or may not be recoginzed if played back through MC.

Everyone,

This thread has gotten huge again. I will close this one and start a new one.

Steve
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up