INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nomad Zen plug-in feature request  (Read 1336 times)

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Nomad Zen plug-in feature request
« on: June 23, 2003, 08:33:07 am »

Add ability to synch the files in a smartlist without actually creating playlist on the Nomad.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Nomad Zen plug-in feature request
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 02:20:42 pm »

Is this a bug, or am I missing something:

Create a playlist in MC. Say it contains "Song 1", "Song 2", and "Song 3". Synch with the Zen. In MC, delete "Song 2" from the playlist. Synch with the Zen. Playlist still contains all 3 songs on the Zen.

This also occurs with a smartlist whose contents changes. New tracks are added to the Zen's playlist, but tracks that are no longer included in the smartlist (e.g. because of a limit) are not deleted from the Zen's playlist.

To put things more generally, it appears that when songs are deleted from a playlist in MC, they are not deleted from the corresponding playlist on the Zen. It doesn't seem to matter whether "delete items not in playlist" is checked or not (although it shouldn't, since I should be able to update the contents of a playlist on the Zen without deleting songs that aren't in the playlist).

Add ability to delete un-checked playlists from Nomad on synch. Currently, plug-in only offers the ability to delete tracks on synch, but if playlists have changed names or been delted, then they are left on the device.

Loraan,

I will take a look at the Nomad Jukebox Plugin tomorrow and get after these issues.

Steve

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 02:50:20 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for the quick response! Sorry about the multiple threads. Developers at my company prefer one thread/email per issue to make it easier for them to track which ones are still open and which ones they've responded to. I just got in that habit  ::)

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 02:09:21 pm »

loraan,

Please get the new Nomad Jukebox Plugin (v 9.0.14).

Is this a bug, or am I missing something:  

Create a playlist in MC. Say it contains "Song 1", "Song 2", and "Song 3". Synch with the Zen. In MC, delete "Song 2" from the playlist. Synch with the Zen. Playlist still contains all 3 songs on the Zen.

This was a bug, it should be fixed now.  You will need to check 'Delete files not in synch' if you want existing files on Nomad to disappear if they are not in the synch.

Add ability to delete un-checked playlists from Nomad on synch. Currently, plug-in only offers the ability to delete tracks on synch, but if playlists have changed names or been delted, then they are left on the device.

Empty playlists should now be deleted at the end of a synch.

Add ability to synch the files in a smartlist without actually creating playlist on the Nomad.

You can do this by dragging and dropping the files on the Nomad.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 07:53:31 pm »

Thanks for the help. I still think I must be confused about something. Let me give some examples:

#1:

I have a playlist containing three tracks. I synch to an empty Zen. Now there are three tracks on my Zen and one playlist, containing three tracks. I delete a track from the playlist and synch again, with "delete tracks" enabled. Now there are two tracks on my Zen, and a playlist containing two tracks.

GOOD.

#2:

Same scenario. This time, I delete a track from the playlist and synch with "delete tracks" disabled. The result is that there are three tracks on my Zen and a playlist containing three tracks. The outcome I would expect is three tracks on the Zen and two tracks in the playlist.

To sum up, when I delete tracks from a playlist in MC, they are not being deleted from the equivalent playlists on the Zen when I synch. How can I get the result I'm looking for (short of deleting the playlist on the Zen and re-synching)?

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 07:53:57 pm »

loraan,
You can do this by dragging and dropping the files on the Nomad.

Uh... *smacks forehead* Duh.  :-[

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 06:33:03 am »

loraan,

The synch process is only occurs in one direction, MC to Nomad.  

To sum up, when I delete tracks from a playlist in MC, they are not being deleted from the equivalent playlists on the Zen when I synch.

This is what you did in scenario #1. To get this result you must select 'Delete files not in synch'.

Same scenario. This time, I delete a track from the playlist and synch with "delete tracks" disabled. The result is that there are three tracks on my Zen and a playlist containing three tracks. The outcome I would expect is three tracks on the Zen and two tracks in the playlist.

I don't follow this unless when you say you delete a a track from the playlist you mean on the Nomad. If this is the case, I think the confusion is that your expectation is that the Nomad will synch with MC. This is not the case by design.

Please feel free to follow up if I am not getting to the heart of what you are after.

Steve

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 07:51:37 am »

I guess I'm not explaining myself clearly enough. When I say, "delete a track from the playlist," I mean in MC. Let's say I'm making a mix playlist. I make the mix in MC and synch it to my Zen. Then, later, I decide to take a song out of the mix. In MC, I go to the playlist, right-click the song, and choose Edit/Delete. Now the playlist doesn't contain the deleted song anymore. I haven't deleted the song from my library, just from the playlist.

Currently, if I synch the playlist again, MC will not update the contents of the playlist on the Zen. It will check to make sure that all the files are on the Zen. If "delete files" is checked, then it will remove the file from the Zen entirely (incidentally causing it to be removed from the playlist).

It seems to me that if I synch a playlist, then the contents of the playlist on the Zen should match the contents of the playlist in MC, regardless of whether I'm physically deleting files from the Zen or not.

Let me try one more example to see if I can make it clearer:

Playlist in MC: Song 1, Song 2
Playlist in Zen after synch: Song 1, Song 2
Contents of Zen hard drive after synch: Song 1, Song 2

Step 1: Add a song to the playlist in MC...

Adding a song works the way it should.

Playlist in MC: Song 1, Song 2, Song 3
Playlist in Zen after synch: Song 1, Song 2, Song 3
Contents of Zen hard drive after synch: Song 1, Song 2, Song 3

Step 2: Delete a song from the playlist in MC:

Okay behavior occurs with "delete" files checked...

Playlist in Zen after synch (WITH "delete files" checked): Song 1, Song 2
Contents of Zen hard drive after synch (WITH "delete files" checked): Song 1, Song 2

But what if I don't actually want to delete the song on the Zen, just remove it from the playlist on the Zen -- Problem behavior

Playlist in Zen after synch (WITHOUT "delete files" checked): Song 1, Song 2, Song 3
Contents of Zen hard drive after synch (WITHOUT "delete files" checked): Song 1, Song 2, Song 3

Desired behavior

Playlist in Zen after synch (WITHOUT "delete files" checked): Song 1, Song 2
Contents of Zen hard drive after synch (WITHOUT "delete files" checked): Song 1, Song 2, Song 3

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 01:29:45 pm »

loraan,

I see what you are saying. You want to be able to remove files from the a playlist on Nomad but keep them on the Nomad during a synch. You can do this manually already if you select a Playlist on Nomad and then select files and choose 'Delete'. The result of this will be what you want. I assume you want this process to be automated as part of the synch. Correct?

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up