INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carnac writing unwanted values to imported videos  (Read 1417 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Carnac writing unwanted values to imported videos
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:01:33 pm »

I set up an auto-importing folder for home videos. The filenames are in the format [gallery] - [name] ([date]).mp4. After being imported the files have values for Series, Season and Tag which should not be there. It's a problem because the tooltips for videos use the Series if it is present. In the import definition I have several tag rules, and the first one is to set Media Sub Type = Home Video. I've tried setting Series = an empty string but the dialog won't let me. Is there a way to prevent Carnac from writing unwanted values? I thought setting Media Sub Type to something other than TV Show would do it but it didn't.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Carnac writing unwanted values to imported videos
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:42 pm »

Try using the tag;

[Series]=[]

That can be saved in the tagging rules, and I think it will work.

Note that CARNAC happens before the tagging rules during Import, so it has finished its job and assigned whatever tags it thinks it finds in the file name before the Import tagging rules are applied. So the [Series] tag is set before MC see the [Media Sub Type] set to "Home Video". CARNAC is fully automatic so you can't stop it doing that. Fix it with the tagging rules as you have been trying to do.

You can also use the [Filename (path)] and [Filename] tags to move the files if you want, perhaps to a subdirectory on the Home Videos directory called [Gallery], if you wanted.

i.e.
[Filename (path)] = D:\Home Videos\[Gallery]\     (don't forget that last backslash!)
or
[Filename] = D:\Home Videos\[Gallery]\[Gallery] - [name] ([date]).mp4    (or some variation you wanted to use.)

If you do use those, put that tag as the last in the list.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:36:27 am »

If I put [] in as the value it is interpreted as a literal, so that the string "[]" becomes the value of the tag. What did work was to set it equal to the value of a different tag which I know to be empty. But that's a hack. Seems strange if there's not a better way, and if there is I'd like to know.

The one thing that would have saved a lot of time troubleshooting would have been if the tag rule setting [Media Sub Type] to Home Video had been discovered before Carnac did its thing. Then obviously it wouldn't have needed to attempt to extract information specific to TV Show from the file names.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:47:24 am »

I agree about the empty field.

Coming next build:
Changed: Removed the check for empty when setting a field to a value on import so that empty is a perfectly acceptable value.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:49:53 pm »

My Apologies Don. I couldn't test my idea, but I thought it would interpret the [] as containing a field name, which was empty, so the value would end up empty.

I'm sure I have done it some time ago, but I no longer have the rule which was using it. It was probably a tagging rule associated with a TV Recording rule anyway, and not an Auto Import rule. However, never mind, because now it is going to be all fixed.

Coming next build:
Changed: Removed the check for empty when setting a field to a value on import so that empty is a perfectly acceptable value.

Thanks Matt.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 04:09:58 pm »

No problem Roderick.

Thanks Matt.

Another thing that could have saved me a lot of trouble would have been an option to "Automatically fill tag values from file name" or some such, default to yes. That would have both educated me right away about what was going on and provided a fix. Just another suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up