INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Chaos...  (Read 1095 times)

h3dge

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Cover Art Chaos...
« on: June 24, 2003, 12:36:54 pm »

After a couple of months now of trying to wrangle my cover art under control I have a few observations to make:

1.  There is no one tool that does everything needed to get cover art for my albums.  Some tools are better at finding the art, some tools are better at organizing the art, some tools are better at pairing art to song titles, etc....I don't expect this to change any time soon.

2.  There 4 major ways of saving cover art (and probably more):  in the mp3 itself, in a cover art directory, in the same folder as the mp3s with the name folder.jpg, or in the same folder as the mp3s...named after the album (example:  purple rain.jpg).

3.  The differing tools (as in #1, which aren't going away),  all save in different ways.....

Where is this all leading?

A tool is desperately needed to move between all formats and save methods.  This programs should:

translate album art from all the different "save" methods, ie:

move from internal to external

move from cover art directory to folder.jpg format

move from cover art directory to albumname.jpg format

move back from all these formats as well

It should also allow the user to check the work, then clean up the old formats (delete images from old method) when given the "okay" by the user.

Is this a possibility in MC?  Does anyone else have any ideas on this subject?  Any tools out there I don't know about that do exactly this?

h3dge

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Cover Art Chaos...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 04:19:26 am »

Any Comments?  Anyone?

-h3dge

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 04:28:14 am »

<snip>

2.  ..., in the same folder as the mp3s with the name folder.jpg, or in the same folder as the mp3s...named after the album (example:  purple rain.jpg) ...

<snip>

On a semi-related note ... I prefer to keep the pictures inside the folders, and name them folder.jpg. To avoid some of errors with unsupported characters, naming the jpg with the album name doesn't always work  (The Cranberries - Everyone else is doing it, why can't we? comes to mind) ...

Can MC9.1 (or 9.0) download cover art to the mp3 folder location and name it folder.jpg? I currently have to download the cover art ... then manually move the pictures to the appropriate directories and rename them. If MC9.1 can't do this, it would be a nice feature to add.

nila

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 05:32:09 am »

On a similar note,
'Quick Find Cover Art' tool never works for me.
My files aren't all perfectly named: Artist - Album.jpg
They are all however in the same directory as the songs.

Using Rhino's  AV2 plugin I can find all the cover art EASILY for all my albums with no problems. I simply define a rule:   [AlbumPath]\*front*.jpg and it'll find all my cover art files easily.

• Could MC please have some options to allow us to define similar rules for quick finding of cover art for the quick find tool as this would be a great time saving tool if it had a few more options. :)
  • Could it also have some options to allow us to define how the cover art is saved (in one central folder, in the mp3 folder, internally) and using what naming convention (artist - album.jpg, folder.jpg, etc) as default.

(thanks for adding that tool though - it's still a great tool and I was impressed at how fast u added it after I reqeusted it  :P)

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 07:03:06 am »

Could it also have some options to allow us to define how the cover art is saved (in one central folder, in the mp3 folder, internally) and using what naming convention (artist - album.jpg, folder.jpg, etc) as default

Agreed.  This is a much needed addition.  
I'd love to see MC store the image inside the file (if selected) and save a copy of the image using the user selected naming convention in the folder.  It could work like the "rename file from properties" task.

To the original poster: have you seen King Sparta's cover art plug-in?  I don't know how it saves the cover art but it works very well.  Yesterday I ran a batch of about 1000 files with missing art (some very obscure stuff included) and it found proper art for better than 80% of them.

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 07:11:57 am »

• Could it also have some options to allow us to define how the cover art is saved (in one central folder, in the mp3 folder, internally) and using what naming convention (artist - album.jpg, folder.jpg, etc) as default.

Just to add my vote for this as well.  If it could also move cover art around it would be perfect - eg three places (at least!) where cover art could live - MC's art directory, in the file, in the directory where the file is stored (cover.jpg, folder.jpg etc).  An ability to move covers from any of these places to any of these places would be excellent.

K
Pages: [1]   Go Up