INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BD3D ISO play problem  (Read 5909 times)

mparade

• Recent member
BD3D ISO play problem
« on: October 21, 2017, 06:01:04 am »

Hello there,

Decoding of BD3D ISO files doesn't seem to forward 3D information to madVR.
madVR recognizes the source as 2D (checked that by using the ctrl+J shortcut). "3D Blu-ray and MKV 3D decoding" is enabled in the Options menu. An other big problem is after playing the first video, the GUI of JRiver is zoomed-in (cannot see the border of the icons of the main window anymore). After closing JRiver, the OS switch back to the correct size (zoom-out). Opening JRiver again, everything is OK until a video is played...

I have the latest JRiver and Nvidia drivers installed on my Win10 64 bit OS.

Please help.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: BD3D ISO play problem
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:33:26 am »

i have 3d MKV working.  never tried ISO

have you enabled "Stereoscopic" in the nVidia control panel?  You need to do that.

you also need to enable "Full Screen Exclusive Mode" (FSE) in madVr

there are other madVr settings I needed to set but try the above first.
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »

i have 3d MKV working.  never tried ISO

have you enabled "Stereoscopic" in the nVidia control panel?  You need to do that.

you also need to enable "Full Screen Exclusive Mode" (FSE) in madVr

there are other madVr settings I needed to set but try the above first.

Do you mean under Rendering\profile\general settings\"enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" - it is enabled.

If I enable "stereoscopic 3D settings" in the nVidia control panel windows starts freezing.

madshi told the problem should be with decoding. madVR doesn't even know it is a 3D source.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

rec head

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:49:26 am »

OP have you tried an MKV? If not can you make one? Maybe it shouldn't matter but I think MKV is what most of us are using for 3D.

I can't remember what the Nvidea settings need to be off the top of my head but if you can't enable stereoscopic then that could be it right there.

kalston

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 11:29:57 am »

First: have you ever got 3d playback working at all?

ISOs work fine for me. However, I remember one disc where the film wouldn't start automatically in 3d, the index file was pointing to the 2d version somehow. I had to go in the playlists folder of the disc and find the file that would start the film in 3d. Maybe opening the .mt2s file directly could work too, if the movie isn't split in several parts that is.

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:57:15 pm »

OP have you tried an MKV? If not can you make one? Maybe it shouldn't matter but I think MKV is what most of us are using for 3D.

I can't remember what the Nvidea settings need to be off the top of my head but if you can't enable stereoscopic then that could be it right there.

No. Nevcairiel told mounted ISOs should work fine as well as mkv-s. (Personally, I would prefer HEVC encoded SBS format to MVC encoded sources but no one else found it reasonable so far. HEVC 10-bit SBS vs. AVC-MVC. One should just compare filesizes at the same visual quality....)     

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »

First: have you ever got 3d playback working at all?

ISOs work fine for me. However, I remember one disc where the film wouldn't start automatically in 3d, the index file was pointing to the 2d version somehow. I had to go in the playlists folder of the disc and find the file that would start the film in 3d. Maybe opening the .mt2s file directly could work too, if the movie isn't split in several parts that is.

No, because the renderer thinks I am decoding 2D content and assigns my "1080p" profile to it (which is set up to 2D specifically). madshi told my profile is correctly written, and madVR thinks I am playing 2D content, however a mounted 3D ISO is being played. I try figuring out something tomorrow because it seems to be working for everybody except for me. 

Thank all of you very much for the help! I really appreciate it.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »

Do you mean under Rendering\profile\general settings\"enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" - it is enabled.

If I enable "stereoscopic 3D settings" in the nVidia control panel windows starts freezing.

madshi told the problem should be with decoding. madVR doesn't even know it is a 3D source.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

you have to enable in the nvidia control panel.   now when you do the nvidia calibration app will start.   and usually lock hard at some point. 

i downloaded a nice utility someone wrote to set the nvidia 3d settings such that i can tell it i have already calibrated and so i can then check that 3d stereoscopic setting in the nvidia control panel and it won’t launch the calibration app but will instead stay checked as it should

use this link.  first post. 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/827162/advanced-3d-vision-configuration-3dv-settings-application-/

run the utility as administrator.   the setting will be obvious to you

nvidia 3d vision really has become a sloppy mess.   but then 3d is dying slowly so it is not receiving any love. 

there are other settings in madvr i had to change.   adding a 4k tv made it even harder but i got it all working.  after pulling my hair out!

will post those settings when i can get to my htpc

Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:22:07 pm »

ok - as promised here's my setup:

Windows 10 Pro
nVidia 1080Ti GPU
Driver version: 385.69
TV: LG OLED (2016) 4K

Windows default res: 4k
nVidia Control Panel "Set up Seteroscopic 3D" enabled
- the only way I could enable this was to use the Advanced Config utility i posted earlier and check off the setting that told the driver I already calibrated 3D.  the setting in there should be obvious

Media Center Version: 23.76 64bit; whatever version of madVr and lav it ships with/downloads

MC Options->Video settings:

Enable 3D Blu-Ray and MVC 3D decoding - checked
Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible - unchecked
Display Settings sub menu:

Display Settings automatic change mode: Custom
Wait after change: 2s
Film (23.9 fps): 4K 32bit @ 23Hz
Film (24 fps): 4K 32bit @ 24Hz
NTSC: Desktop Settings
30/60 fps: Desktop settings
Pal: Desktop settings
Default: 4K 32-bit @ 60Hz

madVR config relevant to 3D on my rig:

Devices->Display->Display Modes:

Switch to matching Display Mode - checked
...when media player goes fullscreen - selected

Restore original display mode - checked
...when media player is closed - selected

Rendering - General settings:

Delay playback start until queue is full - checked
Enable windowed overlay - checked
Enable Automatic Full Screen Mode - checked
Use a separate device for presentation - checked
Use a separate device for FXVA processing - checked

Rendering - Stereo 3D:

Enable stereo 3d playback - checked

----

all other settings are whatever madVr defaults to as far as I can recall.

the above combination works for my configuration.  FSE (Full Screen Exclusive) is required for me.  After playback starts, within 5s or so, it suddenly kicks into FSE and the 3D also renders.

I've been able to successfully play 3D MVC, 4K +HDR (passthru in madVr), 1080p video, 480p video, which pretty much sums up my video media.  Sometimes MC and/or madVr gets into a weird state with a mixture of above; a restart of MC is required, but don't care.  it's a minor annoyance I can live with because this (for me) does it all.

cheers - feel free to PM me if you have questions.

kalston

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:33:32 am »

Okay let me tell you how it works for me maybe that'll help you mparade (and I believe nev said it worked the same for him as well).

1080 ti, Win 10 x64, creator's update but not the fall thingy (not yet anyway), drivers are not the latest right now, 385.41 but I haven't found that to make a difference.

My main display is connected via displayport and doesn't even do 3d itself, I watch 3d films in my VR headset (Oculus Rift, connected via HDMI - but it doesn't seem to matter). All the 3d films will open in 3d by default, so on my display it obviously looks wrong - 2 distorted images side by side - but I mirror the desktop to my Oculus using Virtual Desktop and just have to activate the 3d mode within the application to get a perfect picture in the headset. I don't know if your TV would have something similar, to force enable 3d, but honestly I don't think it matters. madVR clearly doesn't care that my display doesn't do 3d, it still opens the 3d version when my VR headset is disconnected.

I do not install nvidia 3d drivers. Just the base drivers (+physx), not Geforce Experience, not the sound driver, not the 3d - I simply don't need those. I don't use the LAV/madVR built in MC (not much difference but I like to use MPC-BE sometimes so I always make a manual install of madVR/LAV and override the MC ones). I also don't tick the "enable 3d decoding" box in MC23, unnecessary in my case.

Of course when installing LAV I tick the box to download the extra 3d decoder. I'm using the 64bit version when playing back with MC23 and the 32bit version when playing back with MPC-BE. Both are installed at the same time and work fine.

In madVR all I had to do was : rendering, stereo 3d : enable stereo 3d playback (unticked the boxes below) and in devices "your display name" properties : 3D format : auto. I don't use profiles in madVR, I just have keyboard shortcuts to change the upscaling algorithms used etc. I so rarely need to change the refresh rate (99% of the content being 23.976/24fps in my case) that I just do it in Windows or nvidia CP.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 06:27:24 am »

@kalston -are you able to watch mvc 3D on the occulus?

been thinking about VR.   i have the hardware for it....

kalston

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:24:18 am »

Yes it works fine using Virtual Desktop or BigScreen (free) to mirror the desktop to the Oculus - what those apps do is create a huge virtual screen in front of you, letting you use your computer the way you usually would, but within the Oculus (you might have to type without seeing your keyboard, be warned :p). You can make it flat, curved (choose the degree of the curve) & adjust the size and distance. Plus you can select the type of 3d content you want to watch (side by side, over under...). So it's very easy to calibrate it to your own individual preferences and needs. Once you're set, just start playback in JRiver and activate the 3D mode your media needs.

I set my display to 1080p to minimize the amount of scaling happening because Virtual Desktop/SteamVR will do some scaling of their own regardless, but I have found that it still works OK with my screen set to 1440p. I don't have a 4k display at my disposal right now, I'm not sure but it might actually help a bit with picture quality - by acting as some sort of supersampling - it will cost some GPU power though. I will definitely try when I get my hands on one.

I've watched plenty of 3D blu-rays like this. I actually own quite a few of those but never had a 3D screen so I was quite happy to find out that I can watch them in the Oculus (that I bought purely for gaming). Some films do have good 3D after all!

It is a pretty good experience IMO - very good brightness, contrast, sharpness, depth etc. but the low resolution is a problem - the screen door effect is something that I always notice when using VR headsets. I can never quite forget about it. Also, the so-called "god-rays" can be annoying at times but I have found that to be a very minor issue when watching videos. Maybe the upcoming Pimax 8k VR headsets will solve those problems, that would be truly awesome :)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:39:33 am »

That is awesome!  seems something fun to play around with over the long Christmas holiday - plus a gift gift to give to myself because clearly i deserve it (haha).

anyway - very cool.  am going to research and dabble.

BTW - on the 2016 LG 4K displays, 3D BluRay is simply stunning.  Passive full res on a massive OLED screen...  some movies almost bring a tear to my eye.  Watching the  Hobbit Extended in 3D is a beautiful home experience.  If the film was framed/shot/designed for 3D the results are wonderful.

cheers

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 06:35:21 am »

Thank you very much to all of you! I will check all those written above and let you know when got stuck again.
Again, thank you very much. You are real corkers!

rec head

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 07:11:37 am »

BTW - on the 2016 LG 4K displays, 3D BluRay is simply stunning.

Couldn't agree more. I bought it after the new non-3D models came out to get the last/best 3D TV. If 3D was this good from the beginning it might have been more successful.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 08:41:45 am »

we always keep the 3d glasses from the cinema.   especially the kids sizes :)

passive glasses are easy to come by

i have a plasma 3d set as well with active shutter and it is very good but cant touch the LG.  and ambient light control is critical with active shutter 3d

OLED is just amazing.  and it is great for 4k gaming too

i do kill the motion dejudder and deblur as it introduces artifacts

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 03:17:07 pm »

we always keep the 3d glasses from the cinema.   especially the kids sizes :)

passive glasses are easy to come by

i have a plasma 3d set as well with active shutter and it is very good but cant touch the LG.  and ambient light control is critical with active shutter 3d

OLED is just amazing.  and it is great for 4k gaming too

i do kill the motion dejudder and deblur as it introduces artifacts

Using your proposed 3D settings, my ISO files seems to be played back correctly, thank you very much!
On the other hand I have got some additional problems:

- when using madVR as the renderer and playing back BD-s (HD resolution), the doubling is not working in my profile due to some for me unkown reason. Using Ctrl+J says no doubling is used (output res. is the same as the input res.), however I clearly set up doubling as the upscaler method in madVR. I have a 4K LG TV, that is why my willing for doubling. I do not want my TV to do that in lower quality.
- after returning to JRiver from a HD play when madVR was used as the renderer, JRiver's GUI is being mixed up. When using "Red October Standard"/4K source this will not occur.
- only when rendering 4K HDR10 (at only 23.976 fps!) sources the average rendering time jumps up above 40ms using my GTX 1080Ti card, 16GB RAM and an i5 CPU. Is it the correct behaviour when using only "moderate" settings in madVR? Or, maybe, could the simple reason for it that I am using the 32bit version of JRiver? 

Any help would be appreaciated.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:34 am »

Do you have multiple screens on that system, with only one being 4K? If so, I would recommend to either try with only the 4K screen connected, or changing all screens to the same DPI scaling settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mparade

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 05:06:22 am »

Only 1pc of 4K display was connected. Meanwhile, I replaced my display to an other one with 4K res. and the problem described under ceased. In parallel, I changed the 32-bit version of JRiver to 64-bit. The latter solved my x265 4K rendering time issue as well.

Currently, my only problem is that I cannot playback my 3D ISO files as 3D. madVR again handles this format as 2D, however I set everything up as described under (which was working on my previous 4K 3D display). It is interesting, before playing any 3D content I checked nVidia Control Panel "Set up Seteroscopic 3D" was enabled. Then I played a 3D ISO via JRiver. madVR was rendering the content as 2D inspite of that. Then I went back to nVidia Control Panel and recognized "Set up Seteroscopic 3D" became disabled due to for me some unknown reason.

Does anyone know the reason for that? Please help.

Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up