INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 23 sync to Android to play with VLC  (Read 2002 times)

dubravko

• Recent member
MC 23 sync to Android to play with VLC
« on: September 28, 2017, 06:28:10 am »

I want to sync a playlist from a Windows MC 23 to an LG Android smart phone to be played by VLC there. It all goes well, except that the playlist file type (pla) is not recognized by VLC and is apparently empty. I do not see a playlist file type selection choice for syncing (like I do when plain exporting playlists). What am I missing?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 23 sync to Android to play with VLC
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:55:31 am »

As far as I know, MC does not generate PLA files.  I believe MC generates M3U playlists by default.  You can change this by clicking on the options button of your handheld sync, then:  Files Paths and More > Playlist format > (select format here)

I just re-read some old threads on this and found that at least one person had a situation where that option did NOT show up.  I think we tracked it down to him using an MTP connection from his phone to computer. As opposed to using a direct "disk" connection, where the internal storage of the phone shows up as a disk drive in Windows.

You can normally select which mode to use, on the phone, when you plug it in.  It's usually a dialog box, or perhaps a selection in the notification area.  Also, all Android phones (as far as I know) can use the Android File Transfer tool.  This would be a two step thing:  Define a staging folder on your hard drive to hold the music and playlists you want on the phone, then have MC sync to that folder.  When that's done, you would then use Android File Transfer to copy the staging folder files to your Android device.

Good luck.

Brian.

dubravko

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 02:12:25 pm »

Right, thanks. I too do not see that option for handheld sync, while it is available for Playlist export.

I do see my Android device as a drive in MS Explorer (and can transfer files) and in MC devices list. Actually I see the internal storage and the SD card as two separate devices in MC. I will try the two step process; although, it would be much preferred to use the direct sync as this, two step process uses extra storage on my PC if I understand it correctly.

Incidentally, Google Play recognizes the "*.pla" playlists created by MC's sync procedure and plays them just fine.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:42:09 pm »

When I sync android Kit Kat with media center (pc to the SD card) it does sync but creates .pla files.  and does not show a place to select .m3u when going to set up the sync.  What am i Missing.  What android app will play .pla files?
If I remove the sd card and sync to it from Media Center it allows me the option to select the playlist format.
It would be much easier if I could sync directly to the andorid devices's sd card without removing.
I await the solution.   I have tried everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up